A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Basil and olive oil  (Read 969 times)

Offline CDennis

• Forever Experimenting
Basil and olive oil
« on: January 17, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »
My newbie question(s) for the day...

Version 1 is 63% KABF cooked at 530F for 6-7 minutes on my Big Green Egg.  Makes a wonderful NY style with perfect/subtle coal tones.  It's my go to when hanging out front with friends.
Version 2 is 60% "00 red" cooked around 900F on my Ooni Koda for 60-70 seconds.  Makes a wonderful Neapolitan style.  Great for cold days when I wanna quickie.

Question is...for both:
Basil at start, midway through, or at cook end?
Drizzled olive oil (at least for the NY one) at the start, middle, or end?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Basil and olive oil
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
Assuming you mean fresh basil leaves. Wilted they are great, charred, not do great, so I always put mine on IMMEDIATELY after removing the pizza from the oven and let the latent heat of the pizza wilt the basil and release the wonderful aroma, in some cases I may pull the pizza out but leave it on the peel, apply the basil leaves and put the pizza back in the oven holding it towards the top of the oven to quickly wilt the basil, then apply a drizzle of EVOO to the pizza, slice and serve.
With some more heavily topped pizza I've been known to add the basil leaves on top of the sauce so they are covered by the cheese and other toppings thus protecting them from the high oven heat.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »
My newbie question(s) for the day...

Version 1 is 63% KABF cooked at 530F for 6-7 minutes on my Big Green Egg.  Makes a wonderful NY style with perfect/subtle coal tones.  It's my go to when hanging out front with friends.
Version 2 is 60% "00 red" cooked around 900F on my Ooni Koda for 60-70 seconds.  Makes a wonderful Neapolitan style.  Great for cold days when I wanna quickie.

Question is...for both:
Basil at start, midway through, or at cook end?
Drizzled olive oil (at least for the NY one) at the start, middle, or end?

On Neapolitan pizzas I put it under some cheese to give it some protection.  For other pizzas itís post-bake.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »
I went to Japan a couple of months ago and ate at Seirinkan. The pizza is incredible. Something that amazed me was the fact that the pizza had basil flavor. it was a tomato+mozzarella+basil+olive oil flavor, super balanced. So I started to check videos and got the idea: use TONS of basil, under the cheese. Some may char, but most don't. And the flavor will be there. Also, this guy puts the oil before and it works.

So... I guess the answer is to do whatever you like the best. Cheers!

Here a pic from Seirinkan:

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 06:26:58 PM »
Always remember though that those wonderful aromas coming from the oven while the pizzas are being baked will never be enjoyed by those eating the pizza, they are lost forever, it's only the less volatile aromas that the consumer gets to enjoy, sorta like comparing EVOO to Pomace grade olive oil. In the final end though you are absolutely correct, whatever YOU like the best is the way for YOU to go.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Willthepizzamaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 02:47:53 AM »
I went to Japan a couple of months ago and ate at Seirinkan. The pizza is incredible. Something that amazed me was the fact that the pizza had basil flavor. it was a tomato+mozzarella+basil+olive oil flavor, super balanced. So I started to check videos and got the idea: use TONS of basil, under the cheese. Some may char, but most don't. And the flavor will be there. Also, this guy puts the oil before and it works.

So... I guess the answer is to do whatever you like the best. Cheers!

Here a pic from Seirinkan:

could you explain more detail on tomato flavor? Was super fresh bright? or was it more like concentrated flavor? olive oil is super strong? I know susumu san use pure olive oil. I'm surprised you actually felt olive oil flavor.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »
Hey! actually I remember the oil more like a texture thing than the flavor. It wasn't a strong oil. More like a neutral thing.

The tomato felt fresh but not raw. It's not a concentrated flavor, it's the typical crushed can/preserved tomatoes flavor

wordpress