A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: new Ooni Fyra Portable Wood-fired Outdoor Pizza Oven coming out in about a month  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
https://ooni.com/collections/shop-all/products/ooni-fyra

So this is a lower level oven that's replacing the 3. Costs $50 more and they've added a big pellet hopper.  I don't know what else has changed, they don't get into much detail about it. A few weeks ago I was pondering getting an Ooni 3, I asked on here. On here and elsewhere in my Googling people didn't seem to like having to stuff more pellets in it so frequently. The hopper on this one looks like it would take care of that problem.  I'm curious to find out how long it can run with 1 batch of pellets.  IMHO it looks a lot nicer too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:55:31 PM by Quebert »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 The 3 had issues with the pellets not completely burning causing soot and a off taste on the pizzas. you had to follow a pretty good heating procedure to get it to cook well. this was a redesign of the Ooni 2 that had a round pellet hopper vs the three which was Square.
 this new oven goes back to the round sign and has bigger air inlet openings to get a better burn on the pellets. looks better insulated so the pellets should burn longer. I used to love cooking with pellets in the 2. when the 3 came out it was disappointing. fortunately there was a gas burner for the 3 and that worked very well.
 seems like the price came down by 50 dollars.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
So I watched the Q&A video Ooni released on this oven a few days ago. It's 40% more efficient with the pellets than the 3, he claimed with a full load you can make 5 pies before you need to add more pellets. Al;so said due to the insulation 1-2 minutes between pies is all that's needed to get the stone back to temp. There will be no gas attachment and it's really not a good oven for anything but Neo's because the temp isn't adjustable, or at least not adjustable like their other ovens. For the price it looks pretty nice, I know a lot of people on here and YT didn't like the 3 and using pellets, but a big complaint seemed to be having to add more every few minutes. If you can legit get 4-5 pies out of 1 stack of pellets that seems decent to me.   

Offline Oven Spring

• I Love Pizza!
Iíve ordered a Fyra oven. Should be here in a week or two. Canít wait.
Iíll let you know how it works.
I love Neapolitan style pizza, so this thing canít arrive soon enough.

Iím also curious to find out if itís capable of sustained temps around 600į-700į through leaving the door off, or using the chimney flu lever.
We shall see.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 oven spring, the fraya has to have the door on to work. the chimney adjustment may help a little. I can tell you this oven get really hot fast. it is hard to control the floor heat.the 750 degrees is  the sweet spot on the floor. after your first pizza the floor can over heat. usually by the time I make a second pizza the floor gets to hot.i cool it with a cast iron pan till it gets down to the upper 700 degree mark. it burns very hot. this oven would definitly be helped by a saputo floor.
 it is a really nice oven and it does not give off that awful petroleum taste to the pizza. it has great combustion and is fun to use. just keep the floor temperature down.

Offline Oven Spring

• I Love Pizza!
oven spring, the fraya has to have the door on to work. the chimney adjustment may help a little. I can tell you this oven get really hot fast. it is hard to control the floor heat.the 750 degrees is  the sweet spot on the floor. after your first pizza the floor can over heat. usually by the time I make a second pizza the floor gets to hot.i cool it with a cast iron pan till it gets down to the upper 700 degree mark. it burns very hot. this oven would definitly be helped by a saputo floor.
 it is a really nice oven and it does not give off that awful petroleum taste to the pizza. it has great combustion and is fun to use. just keep the floor temperature down.

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling the oven ran hot. That answers my question about the door. :)
How long have you had yours. Mine is due to arrive this Friday. !
Have you tried other styles of pizza as of yet, or is the Neapolitan really the best choice for this oven. ?
Thanks again.
Enjoy.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Because you cannot control the heat levels.neapolitan pizza is about all you can cook in this oven.

Offline Oven Spring

• I Love Pizza!
Because you cannot control the heat levels.neapolitan pizza is about all you can cook in this oven.

So, Iíve had some time to use this amazing oven; ( Ooni Fyra ).
It practically makes Neapolitan style pizza itself. Just watch the pizza carefully, and it bakes like a champ.

I have also had some time to play around with it, in an attempt to make consistent thin crust, crispy pizza with no char, or leoparding. (Not sure if thatís a word..)

I love this Fyra even more now because I can quite easily, and consistently make thin crust, crispy pizza as well as Neapolitan style.

Hereís the 40,000 foot view of how:

1. Get the deck between 750į & 800į.
2. Now wait for the pellets Flames to go out. You just have glowing coals now. Deck should still be in the above range, give or take.
3. Launch your pizza.
4. Add a very small amount of pellets. Just enough to crest a small flame. About 25 pellets
5. Keep an eye on the pizza, turn as needed.
6. Once the flame goes out again, casually (you can wait a bit, so the crust forms better) add another small Of pellets to create a tiny flame.
7. Keep turning the pizza as needed.
8. Youíll likely add a tiny amount of pellets like this about 3-4 times. Give or take.
9. When the pizza crust is brown, and the base is crispy, youíre done. :)

Iíve been able to quite easily replicate this for thin crust in the Fyra many times.

Offline thomcad1

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks for the post Oven Spring...I'm really struggling with my Fyra right now...edges of my crust are burning and the center is raw dough. And i'm trying to do Neopolitan style. I'll try this technique to reduce the heat and hopefully get a better result.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:22:07 AM by thomcad1 »

wordpress