A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: You like big airy rims? Try this  (Read 814 times)

Offline Yael

• Supporting Member
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
You like big airy rims? Try this
« on: July 18, 2020, 10:05:15 PM »
Hello guys,

2 years ago I made many tests with this dough enhancer (the one I'm talking about here reply 7: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=62556.msg620627#msg620627), but I realize that yesterday was the first time I tried with my GFO. The spring oven was surprisingly amazing  :o

I had a pizza-BBQ party with friends and this time I didn't want to take any risk (it's summer and it's hot in my kitchen (between 27 and 30°C), so no RTF, no sourdough, no high hydration...), so I just made a simple overnight-CF dough. I added this dough enhancer just in case the balls inflate too much (ascorbic acid would help holding it).

Russian flour 10.3% protein 100%
Water 60%
Salt 2.5%
Magimix dough enhancer 0.4%
IDY 0.1%

Quick mix, FDT 27°C, bulk CF.

The next day, I took it out and balled (250g) 4H before baking.
For the record, 4H weren't enough, dough balls were slightly under-fermented. I thought my fridge wasn't that cold, I thought dough would be around 5~7°C (yeast would still have a slight activity), but in fact dough was at 3°C when I took it out, so all the fermentation was delayed.

My friends were waiting to eat so I baked anyway.
Acid ascorbic gives some undesired elasticity, but if you go gentle and steady you can easily open the dough (I think I even made one or two 13' instead of a 12').

Result and thoughts:
- A big and nice spring oven!
- A coloration coming a little too fast because of the amylase enzyme in the dough enhancer.
- A lack in the taste because of the short fermentation/under-fermented dough.

Will definitely make it again!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
Re: You like big airy rims? Try this
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:50:38 PM »
I want that!!!

Jerry

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:53:27 PM »
VERY pretty!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 05:56:25 AM »
I still have a lot of Fermipan 2 in 1 IDY with dough enhancer and have been using it since 2016.  It's meant to give softness to dessert breads, but I have used it in my pizzas ever since I opened the bag in 2016.  Same results in airy cornice.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T