A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: ideas for creating larger work surface on my kitchen island?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline annarborpizzaguy

ideas for creating larger work surface on my kitchen island?
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:07:45 PM »
I have a granite kitchen island that measures roughly 3 feet wide by 5 feet long. I am trying to optimize my pizza making operation to reduce the amount of time in between pizzas as I make pizzas one at a time in my Blackstone. The time consuming part for me is stretching out the dough balls into discs. I currently have a space issue where I don't have enough space to stretch out the dough balls as I have a couple of mismatched cutting boards that I use for working out the dough. My thought was that if I had one long work surface - like a 4-foot long cutting board - I could stretch out multiple dough balls and have them ready to go and fire the pizzas into the oven much more quickly. Does anyone have any ideas for something like this that could work well? I could just rip a sheet of plywood but I figured someone here would have a better answer. Bonus points for thinkig of a way to make the work surface stable as it sits on the island (the granite will make things prone to slipping around).

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: ideas for creating larger work surface on my kitchen island?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 02:42:00 PM »
Do you have room for a cart?  A 24 x 48 cart would give you additional space.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline annarborpizzaguy

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »
Do you have room for a cart?  A 24 x 48 cart would give you additional space.

I may not have been clear in my initial post - the size of the island provides ample space to work. I do not have a large enough work surface (something to put on top of the granite). I am picturing something like a 2 foot by 4 foot slab of butcher block; maybe that is just what I should get.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »
Whats wrong with just using your granite top.   I used that for years with my blackstone

Jerry

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 05:07:32 PM »
I may not have been clear in my initial post - the size of the island provides ample space to work. I do not have a large enough work surface (something to put on top of the granite). I am picturing something like a 2 foot by 4 foot slab of butcher block; maybe that is just what I should get.

Sorry, misinterpreted.  Thought you wanted space for 4 stretched dough balls while you work on others.

I agree with HalfPrice, why not just work on the granite?

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline annarborpizzaguy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »
My hesitation with just using the granite is that my kids routinely make a huge mess by eating at the island. I'd be paranoid about cleaning the island, then worried about cleaner residue getting into the dough etc etc. I found 4'x2' slabs of butcher block on home depot's website that is probably good for what I'm looking for.

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 11:51:37 PM »
lumber liquidators has a good affordable selection of countertops that would work for this application. as to sliding around get a roll of foam style shelf liner...I can get it at the $1 store.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 12:11:19 AM »
My hesitation with just using the granite is that my kids routinely make a huge mess by eating at the island. I'd be paranoid about cleaning the island, then worried about cleaner residue getting into the dough etc etc. I found 4'x2' slabs of butcher block on home depot's website that is probably good for what I'm looking for.
Lot's of ways to safely clean it prior to use. Vinegar, baking soda, diluted bleach, etc. I'd love to have a smooth stone counter for making pizza. You can also just buy some roll out mats for dough handling - see amazon.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »
Do you have any countertop manufacturers in your area? You can usually get cast offs/2nds for a few bucks a linear foot! Go see what they have and get extra and cut to size what you need. Slide it next to the fridge or in the garage when not using. Laminated particle board pretty easy to handle.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 11:15:43 PM »
Just to confirm some of the ideas already posted, I use a 3' x 2' piece of laminated hard board placed over some shelf liner.  It's easy to clean and store away.  Works for me.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 02:36:52 AM »
Just to confirm some of the ideas already posted, I use a 3' x 2' piece of laminated hard board placed over some shelf liner.  It's easy to clean and store away.  Works for me.

Rolls

About what I have next to the fridge! Need to get a longer piece, I still have friends I  made coutertops with back in the 80s that I could get for damned near nothing, just a little cutting!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline alimanach

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 08:04:31 AM »
I honestly think that pizza is that delicious, that it doesn't even matter where and how to cook it. And never thought I, that making pizza can be this challenging. I've got a medium kitchen, I recently renovated it and was willing to install newQuartz Kitchen Worktops London, but I found it rather luxurious for my flat. Now that this thought crossed my mind, I can say that stone worktops should be perfect for dough making. I mean, the dough won't stick to it, like it does to wood tops. But again, better find some extra space! 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:16:50 PM by alimanach »