A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Focaccia Help  (Read 619 times)

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
Focaccia Help
« on: November 25, 2020, 02:12:15 PM »
Hello All,

Struggling with my Focaccia so I figured I would throw out my process/recipe and would love to hear any comments. The crumb of my focaccia is fine, although I tend to balloon up in some areas and lose any "dimples" I made - the top of my focaccia is not really browning and just not cooking the way I want it to

Method 1 - Cold Ferment

F - 900 (65% King Arthur Bread Flour, 30% Mulino Marino Tipo 0, 5% Molini Del Ponte Semola Rimacinata Flour (love the flavor)
W-73% at 65 degrees
Salt - 2%
Instant Yeast - 0.16%

Mixed, let sit out for 2 hours (3 stretch folds during the first hour) at room temp, then in the refrigerator for 72hr, took out (was very active when I took out), put directly in oiled pan, let sit for 4 hours at 65 degrees - baked in oven at 475 degrees

Method 2 - BIGA

F - 900 (50% Mulino Marino Tipo 0, 50% Mulino Marino Tipo 00)
W - 73% at 79 degrees
S - 2%
Instant Yeast - 0.40%

Mixed Biga (20% of total flour, 16% of total water at 79 degrees, 3.3% of total yeast), let sit at 69 degrees for 14 hours, Mixed dough and bulk fermented for 3 hours with 2 stretch and folds during this time -put in pan for about 2 hours to proof at 65 degrees  - Baked in oven at 460 degrees

The pictures with the Rosemary are the method 2 - I think method 2 has produced a little better color, but I dont think it stays as fresh for as long as Method 1 and am still not fully satisfied, although it looks better than method 1. Understand the changes in flour type dont make this a perfect comparison

Just curious for any thoughts!

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
Re: Focaccia Help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »
Yours looks really similar to mine, so I'll be curious what kind of feedback you get.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 02:21:20 PM »
@Peter B - good to know I am not alone, I wish this wasn't such an obsession! haha

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 03:11:50 PM »
Crumb of above

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »
Those look great. Might add a bit of diastatic malt for more browning. You can also fill dimples with olive oil or some use salty water on top of Focaccia.

My best efforts are overnight room temperature sourdough ferments. I don't bother trying to save the dimples. I just want crisp exterior with pillow insides. Today's effort was just how I like it.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »
Mine "domed" like in your second picture.  I was doing a Sicilian, where the recipe called for a par bake.  I didn't think much of it when it came out like that, but when I did the final bake (dressed), some toppings slid off the side.  No bueno.  So I thought maybe I should do more dimpling, but I didn't want to deflate the crust.  I didn't want to add much more fat, but I never thought of the salt water suggestion.  The tip that I got from this site is to put a small portion of your sauce on the crust for the par bake, which I will try next time.  In your case though, I would be curious to hear if you try dimpling with some salt water and how it turns out.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »
Thanks All - @Peter B - I usually par bake with sauce, it works well imo.