A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: "New" old toy  (Read 1282 times)

Offline AndyBern

• Luke 4:4
    • Andrew Bernhardt's homepage
"New" old toy
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »
Our senior center didn't need this mixer. It was going to be trashed, so I took it off their hands. It's a Hobart A200 classic mixer (20qt). It needs some work and cleaning. Oil is leaking under the tranny so I'm sure the seal needs replacing. Haven't tested the motor, but I expect it works.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: "New" old toy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 01:32:22 PM »
Nice score!!!
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »
Our senior center didn't need this mixer. It was going to be trashed, so I took it off their hands. It's a Hobart A200 classic mixer (20qt). It needs some work and cleaning. Oil is leaking under the tranny so I'm sure the seal needs replacing. Haven't tested the motor, but I expect it works.

When  will you give it a new lease on life?

Offline AndyBern

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 02:08:28 PM »
I started taking it apart, but I need a gear puller to get the cover on the transmission off. After 50-60 years, it's stuck on hard. I cleaned the commuters of the motor and ran it so I know it works. There's some youtube videos that have helped.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 03:34:27 PM »
I started taking it apart, but I need a gear puller to get the cover on the transmission off. After 50-60 years, it's stuck on hard. I cleaned the commuters of the motor and ran it so I know it works. There's some youtube videos that have helped.

You might try an Auto Parts store, or even Home Depot or Lowes for a gear puller.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline AndyBern

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 04:18:18 PM »
Next time I'm in town... I live 70 miles from the nearest auto parts or hardware store.

Offline AndyBern

Re: "New" old toy (Hobart A200 classic)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 11:20:30 PM »
Working on and off (mostly off), I got the mixer apart and found the planetary had been run a while with no oil... it had all leaked out, and what was left was baked on. The agitator shaft has a shallow groove worn in the area of the bearing / oil seal. So I need a replacement shaft, seal and bearings.

I have the service manual and owner's manual (with parts list). I don't see the classic part numbers for sale online. Does anyone know if the newer A200 agitator shaft parts are the same? They look the same. I asked on the manufacturer's website but haven't received a response.

BTW, I turned the mixer on for a few seconds before taking it apart and it works fine.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:22:12 PM by AndyBern »

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
Re: "New" old toy (Hobart A200 classic)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 12:27:16 AM »
Working on and off (mostly off), I got the mixer apart and found the planetary had been run a while with no oil... it had all leaked out, and what was left was baked on. The agitator shaft has a shallow groove worn in the area of the bearing / oil seal. So I need a replacement shaft, seal and bearings.

I have the service manual and owner's manual (with parts list). I don't see the classic part numbers for sale online. Does anyone know if the newer A200 agitator shaft parts are the same? They look the same. I asked on the manufacturer's website but haven't received a response.

BTW, I turned the mixer on for a few seconds before taking it apart and it works fine.

https://www.oldhobartmixerparts.com/a200-bearings--seals.html
There ya go... they look unincorporated... aka frendly advice possibly given. -no affiliation, never dealt with them.

Offline AndyBern

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »
I saw that site. I emailed them and will hopefully get a message back soon.

Offline AndyBern

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 09:59:57 PM »
Took a while, but I'm virtually finished with restoring the mixer. I took it completely apart, cleaned and degreased it inside and out, stripped the paint, replaced worm parts (power cable, bearings and oil seals, agitator shaft, etc.), painted it a nice candy-apple red, and put it all back together. It's the first time I've done anything like this.

If I knew better, I would have put it together first and then painted it, but all the same it looks pretty good for a beginner paint job. I still need to finish sanding/polishing the bowl and attachments and then put on one or two more clear coats over the paint. It'll then be ready to make pizza dough.

I asked the Hobart parts guy and he thinks it might be a mid-1950's model.

Here it is in operation:

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »
Beautiful job!!!

wordpress