A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Activating my Ischia starter from Ed Wood  (Read 712 times)

Offline miz_en_plaz

Activating my Ischia starter from Ed Wood
« on: January 31, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
Don't have a question, just wanted to come by and say wow this process is not for the faint of heart lol. I have created starters from scratch, but wanted to get in on this fabled Ischia starter. I have a proofing box which allows me to keep it at 90f for the first 24 hours as instructed.

It actually tripled in size the last 4 hours of the first 24. Until then it smelled like, bad but just like hot dough bad. Then all of a sudden it exploded with activity and it smelled like a baby threw up in a vat of yogurt. Literally almost gagging splitting it out and re-feeding it.

I had read that other people dealt with hooch, I didn't think I would have this problem (because I'm different /s), but sure enough after feeding it not 3 hours later a nice layer of liquid has formed.

God the smell is so bad right now haha, into the second day. It's just like, puke and yogurt.

It must be because you dump such a concentrated amount from the packet (to ensure it actually works) that it's acting so insanely, and not until most of it dies and you reach an equilibrium after multiple discards / feedings that it's normal.

But yea, super fun process, just wanted to share this, hope everyone is good.

Offline miz_en_plaz

Re: Activating my Ischia starter from Ed Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »
Still amazed about how fast hooch forms after feeding it, have never seen that before.

If anyone ends up here from the future, this post https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/65224/my-ischia-sourdough-starter-smelling-foul-sourdocom-starter#comment-465758 does a decent job explaining what's going on and it helped me not freak out.

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
OK. Just rounded the 4th complete day. I'm actually going to try and make dough with it which is surprising to me because of where it was at just 2 days ago but, it has really come around nicely. Interested to see how it handles the dough over night. I'm keeping the dough with the starter in my proofing box, at 72 degrees, planning on a 20 hour bulk ferment. I'll post pictures in the thread in a few.

I kept feeding it the insane amounts of flour as initially instructed just to be safe (140g starter / 140g KAAP / 170g water) every 12 hours basically on the dot. I actually fed the initial split as well, so I have two honkin jars of this stuff, but I'm going to just keep one now I think.

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 03:14:32 PM »
The dough recipe I'm using:

KAAP 100%
hydration 77%
salt 1.8%

I used this excellent predictive model to arrive at the percentage of starter I wanted to use https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0

So I know I'll be at 71 degrees, and want about 17 hours, so that's 7.5% of the starter.

I want 3 260g dough balls, so the final recipe is:

420g KAAP
320g Water
8g Salt
32g Starter

The starter is 100% hydration which puts the total recipe at 77% hydration.

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 04:24:44 PM »
pics

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 10:42:02 AM »
The dough after 17 hour bulk ferment at 71 degrees

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »
This starter is very active, the larger jar exploded in the proofing box over night :( I had just put it in a clean jar!

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 07:27:52 PM »
Oof.

Made 2 pizza's, have 1 dough ball left. First 2 came out very poorly, honestly not sure I'll make a third lol. Dough may have been too cold, really dried up in the Breville which was weird considering the hydration. Definitely super hard to work with... I'm not a breadmaker so 77% hydration is super sticky for me. It was the first time I had the dough rip on me when moving it to the peel. Scrambling to get it moving before sliding it in.

Also don't have great ingredients on hand, Pomi boxed tomatoes and a ball of mozzarella cheese.

Eh, I'll probably make the last one once this dough warms up but, definitely the fault of the maker and not the dough! It tasted pretty good on the spots where there was char... happens.

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
Hey! Next attempt was edible!  :-D

Standing on the shoulders of giants of course, I used the Mike Essen's NYC recipe https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg558793#msg558793 modified for two 250g dough balls (plus some extra just in case:

flour 340g
water 220g
salt 8.6g
oil 7g
honey 3g
sugar 3g
starter 7g

2% Starter substitute for a 24h 71f ferment. 18 hours spent bulk in the tub, the rest of the time balled up and resting on the counter before baking.

Baked in a Breville pizzaiolo, manual mode, both dials to 750, crust dial on even heat, cooked for like, 3 and half minutes maybe.

Some observations about the crust, it's the tastiest I have made, but a lot of that could be the bake. It had NO metallic sourness, which was VERY present in the starter I used prior to this, which was made from scratch using rye flour. Perhaps I nailed the ferment time, lots of variables but, I am 100% sticking with this recipe for a bit as it was excellent.

Today was the 7th days since starting to activate the starter, and it's smelling really good, seems to smell better every time I go to feed it.

Offline Ohiofem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »
I have been amazed at how active this Ischia starter is. Iíve been using it for many years. Like you I was surprised to find that it sometimes exploded out of the proofing container. Now I have learned to ignore the clock and just pay attention to when it looks ready to move on to the next step. Hereís my latest, a version of Detroit pizza that I had to make at 450 in my Breville convection oven since my stove is on the fritz.

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 01:46:05 PM »
I have been amazed at how active this Ischia starter is. Iíve been using it for many years. Like you I was surprised to find that it sometimes exploded out of the proofing container. Now I have learned to ignore the clock and just pay attention to when it looks ready to move on to the next step. Hereís my latest, a version of Detroit pizza that I had to make at 450 in my Breville convection oven since my stove is on the fritz.

Looks great!!