A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I did not get lift using my starter?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Ryan R

• Searching for the perfect Pizza
I did not get lift using my starter?
« on: February 28, 2021, 11:41:22 PM »
I just used my starter as a leavening agent for the first time. It provided little to no lift.
I used the same recipe and technique I have been successfully using with fresh yeast, just substituting my starter for the yeast.
I followed the  TXCraig1 chart (2.5% for 42 hours in my wine fridge at 64 degrees F).
My starter has been going for about 40 days. It usually peaks and around 6-8 hours before it declines. Itís 100% hydrated.
For this dough, I fed it and started making the dough after 4 hours (because it had doubled by then).
I had very little bubbling over the course of the fermentation (24hrs BF & the rest in balls).

Should I have waited right before the starter was at its peak? Any tips? I did notice a better flavor in the final dough, but it was flat and gummy. My Ooni Koda 16 usually gives the dough an initial puff after 10-30 seconds in the oven.
Ryan

Online Pizza_Not_War

Re: I did not get lift using my starter?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 01:22:47 AM »
What kind of wine fridge? I ask because when I had one it was all over the place in terms of temperature. The bottom shelf varied from the top shelf by 15F and the until itself fluctuated a lot. That would change a lot of things in your timing.

Overall I find a longer CF in the fridge to be a better way to go, for me. Lots of trial and error to get what I want. The other option is just a straight room temp ferment with higher starting amounts of SD.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 07:48:25 AM »
Please post your whole formula and a detailed workflow.

It's entirely possible that you just need a bit more time. Every starter is different, and some testing and tweaking may be needed. Just 6 more hours might have been the difference - particularly if you let it temper up to room temp during the final 6.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Ryan R

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:57:48 PM »
The Wine Fridge is a "Wine Enthusiast" from Costco. I shot the infrared gun at it and it was pretty accurate.
Here is my workflow...

SD Starter Prep
   Discarded half / Added equal amounts water (85 F) and KA Organic BF / Mixed at 5:40pm
   It doubled in 3 hours
   Started dough at 9:40pm (4 hours)

Dough...

Ingredients
   1000g Caputo Blue pizzeria
   640g Filtered water (65 F)
   30G Sea salt
   25g starter (room temp at 68F)

Process...
Mix water & starter in Kitchen Aid bowl
Mix in 600g of the flour just until incorporated
   REST 20 minutes
Mix for 4 minutes, then add in remaining 400g of flour (that I premixed with the salt), then mix 4 more minutes
   Dough temp at this point: 67 F
Remove dough from mixer
Knead and slap & fold about 25x
   REST 12 minutes
Slap & fold 3x
   REST 10 minutes
Slap & fold 3x

Then form into tight ball and bulk ferment at 64F for 24hrs
Removed & balled up in clear round tupperware containers. Back in Wine fridge at 64F for 18hrs

Let sit at room temp (68F) for only an hour, realized the dough was too cold, so I waited another hour. Dough warmed up in about 3 hours. This was one mistake, but even when I left some of the other containers out for a while longer, there was little to no more bubble activity.

As mentioned in previous post...almost zero lift in oven.

Ryan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 05:37:11 AM »
What type of oven? Temperature? Baking surface (steel plate, stone, thickness)? Preheat time?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Ryan R

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
Ooni Koda 16 gas powered / I made one around 850f, then lowered to 725f. The lower heat did a better job. I preheated for about an hour to an hour and 10 minutes. The stone is stock (1.5cm)
Ryan

Offline mac_whiskers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »
For cold bulk fermenting, liquid starters do not have the same leavening power as a stiff starter. you could try adding a higher % of liquid starter to your mix and make sure its at its peak ( surface is flat and dimpled not domed) or convert to a stiff starter. Its also important to properly mix your dough before sticking it in the fridge

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 06:52:07 AM »
It definitely sounds unfermented. The workflow all looks good. With all longer ferments, testing and tweaking should be expected because there are so many variables. I'd try the same thing with a full 48 hours and the last 6 at room temp. Alternatively, move the culture up to 4%. In either case, see how things change and test and tweak from there.

Offline Ryan R

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 05:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the feedback
Ryan

wordpress