A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Favorite Focaccia recipe for sandwiches?  (Read 523 times)

Offline Santo

• I Love Pizza!
Favorite Focaccia recipe for sandwiches?
« on: March 01, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
Anyone have any good focaccia formulation for sandwiches? What is the typical hydration for focaccia? A lot of the popular recipes i see are high hydration no knead options. Is this a characteristic inherent to focaccia? Any lower hydration recipes out there as well? Thanks! Would you also be able to let me know how i can make the focaccia same-day, like 3-4 hour dough? For logistical reasons I often need to whip up things like this within a day's notice. What exactly is lost if i am not doing the long CF?

As well I've been reading great things about LDMP. I just bought some and I'm really interested to try it out on my sicilian pizzas. Would it also work well in focaccia? Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:39:12 PM by Santo »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Favorite Focaccia recipe for sandwiches?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 08:54:20 AM »
"Focaccia" is a fairly generic term with many regional variants throughout Italy and beyond.  For sandwiches I would suggest you try Focaccia alla Genovese which can be executed quite well in a standard home oven without any fancy equipment.  There is no standard hydration rate for focaccia in general, but for this type it usually hovers around 60%. With this formula and workflow you can go from start to finish in 3-4 hours.

Focaccia alla Genovese (adapted from a recipe by Vittorio Viarengo):
  • 100%  00 flour or AP flour
  • 62%  room temperature water
  • 6%  olive oil
  • 2% salt
  • 1.8 IDY
Pour all but 30g of the formula water into a mixing bowl and add oil, salt and half of the flour.  Stir everything together into a thick paste.  The 30g of reserved water should be brought to 95F and used to suspend the yeast.  Add this yeast slurry to the mixing bowl and continue mixing the dough, adding the remaining flour in stages.  Develop the dough into a smooth, satiny and cohesive mass either by hand or machine mixing.  Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.  Portion dough according to size of sheet pans (let me know if you need help calculating this).  Place a rectangular dough piece onto oiled sheet pan and brush top of dough with more oil to prevent drying.  Let rest for 1 hour inside your oven with the light turned on.  Proceed to stretch dough to fill sheet pan.  If the dough is springing back, let it rest until it becomes sufficiently extensible.  Sprinkle surface of stretched dough with some salt (this helps prevent drying).  Let dough rest again for another 40-60 minutes like before.  Pour some lukewarm water and oil onto dough skin and spread evenly with fingers.  Proceed to "finger dock" dough.  Allow to ferment for approximately 1 hour before baking in a pre-heated 425F oven for about 15-20 minutes.  Allow to cool on rack before cutting open to make sandwiches.

Note:  You can add some malt powder (or honey, sugar, malt syrup for more browning) to the water in the mixing bowl. 

The ingredients in the above formula are for the dough only.  Additional oil, water and salt are used in some of the steps described above.  See video below to gauge amounts.  Hope you give it a whirl and report back.  Good luck.

Rolls

Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

A D V E R T I S E M E N T