A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Recommendation on ingredients for a Canadian in GTA  (Read 751 times)

Offline fishyguy

• I Love Pizza!
Recommendation on ingredients for a Canadian in GTA
« on: March 07, 2021, 04:14:43 PM »
Was looking for advice/recommendations on ingredients for pizza here in Canada. Live in Mississauga, Ontario. Trying to make NY style pizza.

Cheese:I used Tre Stelle deluxe a few times but found it quite bland. Last time I used Armstrong had decent flavor (albeit with a weird after taste). I'm planning on trying Cracker Barrel mozzarella for my next one. These 2 brands seem to have the highest MF 28% and lowest moisture levels 42%. The Walmart and no name brands also have same MF and moisture levels  but maybe they're lower quality? Was wondering what other Canadians think about the local mozzarella brands and what recommendations you guys have.

Sauce: I found Pastene chunky California ground tomatoes at highland farms and i'm mixing 3/4 part of this with 1/4 part Emma tomato paste so far (saw this type of ratio used by Tony Gemignani),

Flour: so far been using Robin Hood bread flour (3 day cold ferment) using recipe from John Arena. Gonna try Rogers flour soon, saw someone post that that was really good. Any other recommendations?

Pepperoni: So far using Hormel from Walmart but find them to be too thinly sliced for my liking. Saw a few other brands called Roma/ Ziggys and Pillers. Pillers seems to be a mix of beef and pork while others mostly pork and chicken. Trying Pillers next time. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Offline Fastfocus

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Recommendation on ingredients for a Canadian in GTA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »
Hey Welcome to the Group! I'm from Toronto and just learning also.
I can answer a couple of your questions. After much experimenting, get away from supermarket flour, it won't give you a good pizza dough. If you have a Whole Foods near by, go and get some of Anitas Organic All Purpose Bread Flour. It is the best for NY Style Pizza dough. If you want you can also order on https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00V69G33W/?tag=pmak-20, which is where I get it. Also Costco is a great resource, they have Grande Mozzarella, not the same as the U.S. but very good for the price, also I like the Mozzarella sold at Farmboy, but it's pricy. Also Costco has the San Marzano tomatoes, they're very good if you'r following Tony's recipes.
As for Pepperoni, I prefer Spicy Calabrese, hope that helps a little bit. There is also an amazing FB group called Artisan Pizza https://www.facebook.com/groups/751162561617075/
Hope this helps a bit.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »
The low moisture prepackaged mozzarellas all tend to be somewhat bland IMO, so I'm always looking for something with good melting qualities more so than flavour.  I actually find the Tre Stelle brand to be quite good for pizza but I also use Silani and Santa Lucia, as well as Grande.  To boost flavour, try adding a sprinkle of Reggiano, Padano or Pecorino.  I wouldn't fool around with imitation cheeses but would get the imported stuff from Italy.  You should also try some fresh mozzarrella from one of the Italian delis or cheese producers.  In Mississauga, you might find some supplies at Aurora Meat and Cheese (3661 Dixie Rd) or Commisso Meat  (1004 Burnhamthorpe Rd E) but you'll find greater selection if you go to Vaughan.

I've tried all sorts of flours at all sorts of price points, but I find regular supermarket flour to be more than adequate.  You'll probably find various Italian flours at Highland Farms but I wouldn't bother if you're only making NY style pizza.  Remember that most all-purpose flours in Canada have a high protein content and are perfectly suitable for making bread and pizza.  I normally use Five Roses.  Costco sells an excellent AP flour called Master's Hand.  Great price too.

Of the supermarket pepperoni brands, I like the Venetian brand out of Hamilton, which is widely distributed in the area.  Just give them a call to find a specific store close to you.  Ezzo pepperoni is being brought into the province.  Try calling Jesse Tree Fine Foods in Bolton (905) 951-2124.  Otherwise, try experimenting with some artisanal pepperoni from your local butcher shops.  I used to buy at the St. Lawrence market but that might be out of your way.

Rolls 
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 06:33:11 PM »
There is also an amazing FB group called Artisan Pizza https://www.facebook.com/groups/751162561617075/
Hope this helps a bit.
She doesn't know yet, but my wife just applied to join this group.  :angel:
I'm sure she won't mind.
Thanks for the link.
Mick

Offline dessertfarmland

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 10:08:07 PM »
also I like the Mozzarella sold at Farmboy, but it's pricy.

If you're referring to the low-moisture mozzarella thats wrapped in plastic with the deli label on it, I am almost certain it is cut slabs of Saputo 17%

https://www.saputofoodservice.ca/en/cheese/pizza-mozzarella-cheese/17-percent-pizza-mozzarella-cheese

It's honestly probably one of my favourite cheeses I've tried. Now that I know what it is, I can search it out elsewhere - it really is pricey

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 06:32:08 PM »
If you're ok to buy in bulk then I would recommend going to the Wholesale Club (owned by Loblaws) and purchase a bag of Robin Hood Pizza Flour (not bread flour), it's produced by Ardent Mills (bag might say Ardent Mills Pizza Flour). It's a 20kg bag, price is $19.97, item# 10063 will be right on the front of the bag. I've been using this flour for years, I make NY & American style pizza's with it in a home electric oven, on pizza screens, no stone and it performs great. I also using it for baking various types of bread.

Same goes for tomatoes, if you can deal with bulk they are now selling a variety of Stanislaus tomatoes, they come from California and they are the best in my opinion, better then any SM I've ever tried. They are all 100oz cans, price ranges from $6.47 - $6.97, very good price and you can buy single cans. My recomendation would be Tomato Magic ground tomatoes or Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro tomato strips, these are the same tomato as Alta Cucina but sliced differently.

They sell a pretty good variety of pizza cheese there as well, prices are good, bulk or smaller sizes, shredded or block. They have a new mozzarela there branded Sunspun (kinda there house brand) I bought a few blocks recently and I am quite happy with it.

I've used all 3 of the pepperoni's you mentioned (not hormel) and you probably won't be impressed with any of them, but out of the 3 I would have to say Ziggy's. I'm not sure where you are in Mississauga but there's a bakery near where my sister lives called Truscott Bakery and sell a pepperoni called Fantino & Mondello dry pepperoni and it is really good. I can't recall the price, don't think it was a good price but thought I'd mention it, I have my sister pick some up for me whenever she heads up here.

Kori B
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline Shanksworthy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 11:33:40 PM »
I find that Canada has some of the best ingredients available. If youíre lucky, you may be able to find Saputo Gold or Saputo Deluxe, both of which are 48% and very flavorful. I get mine at Costco in Calgary. But if your Costco doesnít carry that, Saputo Mozzarellissima works almost as well and can be found at any grocery store. Itís 52%, but I honestly donít find that it has any adverse effects, and sometimes even prefer its extra moisture. And it melts and browns really nicely.

For flour, really you canít go wrong with most brand-name Canadian bread flours because they tend to be higher in protein than American flours. Many agree that Rogers is a good bet for a grocery store brand, because itís unbleached, and itís the only major Canadian brand thatís still independently owned (whereas Smuckers owns most of the others). Still, even Robin Hood is fine ó their AP flour is better than most American bread flours.

For sauce, these days I can find Mutti pizza sauce at most grocery stores (or at the very least, every Italian grocer carries it). Itís a really nice tasting sauce, and if you can find it on sale, itís cheaper than buying the ingredients for making your own sauce of equivalent quality.

Finally, I prefer the Roma brand mild pepperoni, but thatís personal preference. I donít think itís similar to the type found on a typical NY pie, so maybe just try a few until you find something you like. I think they tend to be on the spicier side. Also I saw some large diameter sliced pepperoni at Walmart the other day ó canít remember the brand, but it struck me as looking very NY-style.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 09:48:43 AM by Shanksworthy »

wordpress