A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Italian Starters vs Fresh Yeast  (Read 466 times)

Offline Steevo124

• I Love Pizza!
Italian Starters vs Fresh Yeast
« on: April 11, 2021, 03:49:21 PM »
Hello all. I was reading a previous discussion talking about using the Italian starters from sourdo.com as a replacement for commercial fresh yeast. Sounds like the starters can produce a superior pizza? I am still somewhat a novice but think I have a fairly good dough recipe using the fresh yeast.  I'd like to try something new.  Can anyone (Bill?) give me some advice or tips on how to use the Italian starters in place of the fresh yeast? percentages etc?  I usually use .1 percent fresh yeast to the amount of water used for the recipe. about a 10hr fermentation at room temp.   Thanks
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:37:30 PM by Steevo124 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Italian Starters vs Fresh Yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 04:05:11 PM »
Sounds like the starters can produce a superior pizza?

A whole lot of other stuff has to go right for that to be a true statement.

This chart can help you find a starting point for converting a formula to sourdough ("SD"): https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0

Generally speaking, I would recommend that someone master the fundamental pizzamaking skills with baker's yeast before moving on to SD which can add a substantial amount of complexity and uncertainty to an already difficult task.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Italian Starters vs Fresh Yeast
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 07:05:23 PM »
While i donít agree with Craig about lasagne, or that pizza is not bread-  >:D....Iím with him on this one. Get the fundamentals down with dried yeast before moving on to SD.
 For what itís worth, since you asked for one,  here is my go to starting point for SD, good for 24-72hours depending on temp, refrigeration, etc.
This assumes that you have an easily activated, reliable, predicatlble SD starter/preferment already going.

https://pizza-dough-calculator.herokuapp.com/calculator

Unless you are baking every day- donít bother with fresh yeast. You just canít use it up fast enough before it goes south/gets moldy/dries up

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress