A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Using Sourdough Starter and Regular Yeast Together  (Read 446 times)

Offline NendyPants

• I Love Pizza!
Using Sourdough Starter and Regular Yeast Together
« on: April 21, 2021, 02:31:51 PM »
Hi All.  Up to this point, I have only used sourdough to make my pizzas.  I love the flavor and health benefits that sourdough provides.  One thing I am not getting with my pizzas is the super big puffy crusts.  They aren't bad by any means, but they aren't huge. 

I read somewhere that a sourdough bread baker was throwing a dash of regular yeast into their dough to help with the rise and I was wondering if anyone does this with their pizza dough.  If so, does it help with the crust rise? I've never used regular yeast...do you use active dry yeast or fresh? Thanks!

Offline NendyPants

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Using Sourdough Starter and Regular Yeast Together
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:30:14 PM »
Or, what about a dash of baking powder??

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 03:31:13 PM »
For overnight room temperature ferments I use all sourdough. For times when I want a dough that will hibernate in the fridge for a week I will add .5g of IDY to a batch of 850g of dough. Never did that until reading pizza bible.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »
I have done that with bread but found no noticeable difference. Would definitely do it with pizza if I had a question about my starter's strength.
George

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:38:59 AM »
Yes.  ;D
Sometimes a small pinch of IDY added to SD gives a nice lift, and can get you a tasty same day dough without all the superfluous yeast that is often recommended in straight up dry yeast recipes.
I especially like to add it to Cold Fermented bread, and have used it in thicker pizza styles as well.  I find that it aids in the warm up final rise when taken from the fridge, and I can slash and burn faster.
The way I multi-task my doughs, the mix of SD and IDY unintentionally ends up in many dough forms here, anyway.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 12:40:02 PM »
If you're not getting good lift from SD alone, one of two things is probably happening: 1) you're undefermenting, or (2) your SD is degrading your dough (excess enzymes and/or acids). Adding IDY will help both in that it will make the fermentation faster - giving you more fermentation in the same fermentation and/or shorter fermentation so less time for enzymes/acids to build up and degrade the dough.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »
I have a 100% sour dough biga in the fridge some 15 hours now with Caputo Blue for a neo. bake. Won't be able to bake 'till tomorrow. Figuring on leaving the biga where it is until tomorrow (some 40 hours total). Wonder if I should add a dash of IDY when I mix the dough. Biga is 9g of bubbly starter; 333g water; and 667g flour. Rest of water to be added at mix as needed for desired consistency.
George

wordpress