A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why aren't Stanislaus tomatoes (7/11, Alta Cucina) sold at the retail level?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
Long story short, it's an amazing product. Why don't more people (outside of pizza forums) know about it?

This may sound hyperbolic, but even after opening 1 can of 7/11's I knew this was the taste I've been chasing and unable to reproduce with any tinned tomato I've found at Costco, Publix, Whole Foods (etc) over the last decade. Quite literally, I'm shocked at how good these tomatoes are, even straight from the can. Quality restaurant tomato sauce, from fine dining to pizzerias, has always had a depth of flavor and savoriness/heartiness that's eluded me at home.  This is the missing link for me.

I assume they're only targeting the food service industry, but why not expand into retail space? Pizza at home is booming business right now.

Just seems like a restaurant secret that's long overdue for exposure   :chef:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:44:26 PM by SonVolt »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Do you have a Gordon Food Service near you? They carry them in our local store.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
Do you have a Gordon Food Service near you? They carry them in our local store.

There's one about 45 minutes away, nice. I'll check them out.  I did find them sold by the case here in town at a local food service provider.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
They are still in the #10 cans, but I've seen them in a handful of stores in my area. Mostly Italian markets, but I saw a display of them in a butcher shop/market last week too.

Offline jsobolew

• I Love Pizza!
711 is at Smart and Final here.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
I don't think Stanislaus does business in the retail space. That would be a big undertaking to enter a contracting market.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline chriscar

I get them from US Foods here in the Dallas area.
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
If you were literally shocked by opening a can of tomatoes, Id say you were...overcharged.

But seriously folks. Not only are they not a secret, theyre even available on Amazon.
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
If you were literally shocked by opening a can of tomatoes, Id say you were...overcharged.

But seriously folks. Not only are they not a secret, theyre even available on Amazon.

Are you sure about that? I feel like outside of the food service industry and hardcore pizza fanatics, they're unknown. I rarely if ever see them mentioned anywhere else. Not on other food-related forums, never anything on Reddit, even the pizza subs.  It's always "San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes".

Offline 9slicePie

:-D

wordpress