A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza App - Good or bad  (Read 495 times)

Offline LaGaby

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza App - Good or bad
« on: June 05, 2021, 04:44:21 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm looking more deeply into yeast % and I'm not a little confused.

Normally I'd just use the Pizza App to calculate my ingredients including the yeast % but I did a course a few weeks ago where they used 0.1 - 0.2% yeast depending on the RT and having put the same exact ingredient amounts in the app, it comes up as a different amount of yeast.

How do people feel about the pizza app, is it accurate enough to use in a commercial sense? Of course once I have my business up and running, and variables are minimal, I can make some proper tests and get a feel for the amount of yeast to use during the seasonal changes. But for a starting point, I wonder if Pizza app is any good.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza App - Good or bad
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 10:15:30 AM »
Make a few batches of dough and test it.  If it does what you want scale up.  Take notes to see how the dough performs then adjust accordingly.  Use Craig's yeast chart and compare what the App says to what the chart says.  I find Craig's chart to be spot on!  Flour is cheap and everyone's situation is a little different.  I know a lot of people use the app and have success.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:19:38 AM by billg »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 10:31:40 AM »
No app can give you a perfect answer because there is no way to capture your workflow which is also an important variable. I don't think relying on an app in a commercial application is good business. In business, you should rely on control.

If you want consistency, experiment to find a formula and workflow that works then put in place processes to control every variable to the greatest extent practical.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline LaGaby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 02:23:25 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone!
So this evening, I've calculated to use 0.02% of IDY for a 24hr rise but I'll be doing 12-16 bulk then rest as balls all at room temp..just wondering if the bulk time or anything like that could have an effect on the yeast percentage or is it all the same?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 02:27:12 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone!
So this evening, I've calculated to use 0.02% of IDY for a 24hr rise but I'll be doing 12-16 bulk then rest as balls all at room temp..just wondering if the bulk time or anything like that could have an effect on the yeast percentage or is it all the same?

Assuming that you're doing your entire fermentation process at room temp, then it's all the same. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 02:32:58 PM »
Unless you bulk is large - maybe 10kg or more - then yes, it will likely speed things up and you might need to use less yeast. It's often referred to as the "mass effect."
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline LaGaby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 07:15:16 AM »
Oh wow, it becomes more complicated haha

So my dough I'm making has 935g flour with hydration of 67%,for 24 hrs @ 21c.
PizzaApp calculated 0.24g IDY and your (Craig) chart roughly 0.19 so I went for a slight comprise at 0.2g. we'll see how it goes this evening. So far it looks okay but I didn't get much of a bulk rise during the night..might be normal due to the low quantity of yeast
Does this all seem about right though?

Offline LaGaby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 07:49:30 AM »
Also, I see on a few videos and from the course that I did with Marco Fuso, they use almost 3x as much yeast as indicated by the chart and app..very confused  ???

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
Also, I see on a few videos and from the course that I did with Marco Fuso, they use almost 3x as much yeast as indicated by the chart and app..very confused  ???

A wiseman once said No app can give you a perfect answer because there is no way to capture your workflow which is also an important variable. I don't think relying on an app in a commercial application is good business. In business, you should rely on control.

If you want consistency, experiment to find a formula and workflow that works then put in place processes to control every variable to the greatest extent practical.