A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Oven for Neapolitan pies - Zio Ciro, Valoriani, or others?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
I have been using the Blackstone oven for about 7 year, and last year I bought the Alfa 4 Pizze wood oven.
After making more than ten thousand pies in the blackstone and about 2 thousand pies in the Alfa, I am ready to move to something better.
Reason why is that both these ovens consume way too much, they both have very large mouths, the Alfa oven's dome is made of steel so it's not ideal in terms of consumption.
I am looking for a Natural Gas/Wood hearth oven, with a dome made of stone/brick. I am also looking for an oven that is already assembled.
I love the look of the Valoriani Baby Gas 75, but pricing is going to be upwards of 6K.
The Zio Ciro 80 natural gas/wood is my top choice now.
Are there any other ovens I should consider?

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Oven for Neapolitan pies - Zio Ciro, Valoriani, or others?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »
Get the Zio

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 06:03:25 PM »
I have cooked in both the Zio Ciro 80 and 100 multiple times (wood only) and owned a Fontana Forni Marinara (that I recently just sold) and in my opinion the Zio Ciro is the best value stone oven on the market.  It heats up fast, retains heat very well, it's pretty efficient on wood, and for an oven with refractory stone for the deck, can actually cook Neapolitan pizza in 60 seconds or less without charing the bottom. It's not quite Saputo but it's close!!!!!  It's also light weight in comparison to other stone ovens so if you have to lift it onto a deck it can be done with 4 guys.  For anything priced under 6 thousand bucks I can't think of a better choice.  I have not used the gas version but from all the videos I've seen it looks fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:14:47 PM by billg »

Offline Bitonto Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Zio Ciro Subito Cotto 80. If you want to know what itís like, I did an unboxing video and a video that compares my experience with other ovens you might find useful.
Comparing to other ovens
Unboxing

Offline ilya_n

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 09:36:49 PM »
Hi Michele,

Iím in a similar situation but consider to switch from Forno Venetzia Torino 500 to subito  cotto 80.
My reasons are:

- ease of use with gas when Iíd like to
- FV doesnít seem to retain heat all that well but Iíve never made more than 12 pies a night/party
- hard to heat to 850+ and maintain at that temp
- really eats wood
- at higher temps center brick rises making the floor a bit uneven. Annoys me when turning the pie

Pros of Alfa, FV etc are:

- beautiful stainless look

Did you pull the trigger on SC80? If so, are you happy with the switch?

Thanks,
Ilya

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 10:39:52 PM »
Hi Michele,

Iím in a similar situation but consider to switch from Forno Venetzia Torino 500 to subito  cotto 80.
My reasons are:

- ease of use with gas when Iíd like to
- FV doesnít seem to retain heat all that well but Iíve never made more than 12 pies a night/party
- hard to heat to 850+ and maintain at that temp
- really eats wood
- at higher temps center brick rises making the floor a bit uneven. Annoys me when turning the pie

Pros of Alfa, FV etc are:

- beautiful stainless look

Did you pull the trigger on SC80? If so, are you happy with the switch?

Thanks,
Ilya

The Forno Ventezia is in Zio Ciroís price range already, are you expecting to sell it and get a lot back?

To be fair the Zio Ciros eat a lot of wood too but they retain the heat better. I never liked the stainless oven look myself, in my mind these ovens are supposed to be rustic and blue collar not sleek and appliancey
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline ilya_n

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 07:23:45 AM »
The Forno Ventezia is in Zio Ciroís price range already, are you expecting to sell it and get a lot back?

To be fair the Zio Ciros eat a lot of wood too but they retain the heat better. I never liked the stainless oven look myself, in my mind these ovens are supposed to be rustic and blue collar not sleek and appliancey

I bought it from Costco and can return for full refund lol
I actually prefer the look of the FVTÖ it kinda fits into my outdoor kitchen.