A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom, Franklin, TN  (Read 333 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Mellow Mushroom, Franklin, TN
« on: June 15, 2021, 05:43:37 PM »
Mellow Mushroom doesn't have any locations in CA, so I had to give it a try while in TN.  Basically, it's an American delivery style pizza.  The crust is similar to Papa John's which has high amounts of oil and sugar, but here it's made with molasses instead of sugar. The rim is brushed with garlic butter and parmesan cheese.  The tomato sauce also has a LOT of sugar in it.  The pizza is baked nicely and I really liked the sausage.  Ultimately this style of pizza just isn't for me, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it.

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Mellow Mushroom, Franklin, TN
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 06:15:09 PM »
Jonas,

Can you tell us what size of MM pizza you had and what was on the pizza beyond the sausage? If you remember the name of the pizza, if one was recited on the menu, that also might help. MM has a few types of crusts (hand tossed, original and thin) so if you know the type of crust you had, that would likely help also.

The reason I ask is that someone once posted the MM sauce composition online without MM's permission. Apparently, MM caught the posting and removed it. But, I saw no sugar listed as part of the sauce although there was a Pizza Spice that was used in the sauce. The ingredients for the Pizza Spice were not given so it is possible that the Pizza Spice included sugar.

Peter

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »
Jonas,

Can you tell us what size of MM pizza you had and what was on the pizza beyond the sausage? If you remember the name of the pizza, if one was recited on the menu, that also might help. MM has a few types of crusts (hand tossed, original and thin) so if you know the type of crust you had, that would likely help also.

The reason I ask is that someone once posted the MM sauce composition online without MM's permission. Apparently, MM caught the posting and removed it. But, I saw no sugar listed as part of the sauce although there was a Pizza Spice that was used in the sauce. The ingredients for the Pizza Spice were not given so it is possible that the Pizza Spice included sugar.

Peter
As we already had lunch elsewhere and we came upon MM by happenstance, we just ordered slices, and the sauce was definitely sweet, not savory.

Online SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 08:22:57 AM »
I really like Mellow Mushroom even though it's not my preferred style(s) of pizza.  American "delivery style" seems harsh, but I understand why you're classifying it that way. It's definitely American style, but I don't really associate it with Papa Johns or Dominos as I don't feel like I'm eating a low quality product when dining there.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 10:20:35 AM »
I really like Mellow Mushroom even though it's not my preferred style(s) of pizza.  American "delivery style" seems harsh, but I understand why you're classifying it that way. It's definitely American style, but I don't really associate it with Papa Johns or Dominos as I don't feel like I'm eating a low quality product when dining there.
I agree.  The toppings, cheese and bake are better than the national chains, and the dining room and bar also distinguishes them, but the sweet crust and sauce tips it firmly into that genre. 

There’s a local chain here in Ventura County called Topper’s Pizza.  Their brick and mortar location is very nice (particularly here in Camarillo).  They execute a well made conveyor oven pizza. They’ve got their bake nailed down far better than the national chains.  If they had a decent tomato sauce that wasn’t three times sweeter than ketchup I’d rate it the pizza 4.5 stars. They also deliver ridiculously quickly.  They’ve got the business and operational aspects finely tuned. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T