A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Which food-grade dough proofing box would you recommend for home refrigerator?  (Read 715 times)

Offline 9slicePie

I've read people using round individual Rubbermaid containers, but that could potentially take up more room than a tray(s) if making multiple dough balls.

Can anyone recommend a safe, food-grade dough-proofing box that will fit in a home refrigerator?  If you recommend stackable trays, it would be nice if there were more than 1 lid (but it's ok if there is only one lid).

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Many use trays similar to these  -->  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D3QQHRK/?tag=pmak-20

I don't make more that 2 or 3 generally and use these for individual balls:
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
I love my DoughMates. They come in a home fridge size version. The only issue I've found, and this is probably true of all proofing boxes, is they tend to be good insulators. This leads to taking too long to cool down in the fridge and taking too long to warm up when removed. I've settled on leaving the cover off the first 2 hours in the fridge so the balls don't start blowing out, and again removing the lids and covering with plastic wrap when proofing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00449IEM4/?tag=pmak-20
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 10:31:08 AM by SonVolt »

Offline 9slicePie

Thanks, guys.

Strange question:  is it even worth getting a proofing box if I were to make 3-4 NP pizzas per session?  I've read about people using plastic [bread] bags instead of boxes, but I don't know about the feasibility of using such bags?

It IS probably worth getting a proofing box, right?

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
3-4 pizzas you can just use a half sheet pan that you probably already own, covered with plastic wrap. Lightly spritz plastic wrap with cooking spray to prevent sticking.  The benefit of dough boxes is volume and stackability.

Offline loch

I don't make more that 2 or 3 generally and use these for individual balls:

I like that relief valve you have. Pretty clever!

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
I've read about people using plastic [bread] bags instead of boxes, but I don't know about the feasibility of using such bags?
Bags work, make sure to oil the ball.
You can find them on Amazon relatively cheap.
I use them when I make dough balls to freeze.

==============================================================================================

I like that relief valve you have. Pretty clever!

Dave

Actually it's a fermentation trap (used in beer making).
Lets the CO2 from the fermentation escape and nothing gets back in.
Probably not necessary, but looks cool.  :-D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 11:54:55 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline loch

I just use cheap bread bags, not the zipper type. About $3 per 100. Probably not a good solution for large quantity but I only do a couple at a time. Start and finish pictures below.

Dave

"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Strange question:  is it even worth getting a proofing box if I were to make 3-4 NP pizzas per session?  I've read about people using plastic [bread] bags instead of boxes, but I don't know about the feasibility of using such bags?
9slicePie,

The late Tom Lehmann was so fond of using and recommending the use of bags that when I did a forum search this morning of all of Tom's posts that contained the words "bag twist Lehmann" (without the quotes), I got 100 hits. Actually, the real number is greater than 100--and possibly considerably higher--because the forum limits the number of hits to 100 for simple searches. But here is a typical post by Tom on using bags:

Reply 4 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60530.msg606458;topicseen#msg606458

Peter

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
I use some plastic boxes that fits the balls nicely when they have risen the intended amount. I put the ball on the lid and the box upside down so I don't have to peel them out of the box. I also got some pices of pine I can lay the balls on inside the box to achieve a drying-out effect on the bottoms. If I want to keep track of the bubble activity on the bottom I'll just put them straight onto the lid. The best part of these boxes is that they fit perfectly in my small 6-bottle wine cooler. I can fit six of them at once.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline 9slicePie

Thanks for the input, everyone.

EDIT:
I put the ball on the lid and the box upside down so I don't have to peel them out of the box.

So ingenious!  That's pretty slick. (btw is there a thumbs-up emoji that we can post here?  I dont see it).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:04:49 PM by 9slicePie »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
So ingenious!  That's pretty slick. (btw is there a thumbs-up emoji that we can post here?  I dont see it).
9slicePie,

I guess the emoji for Cool-- 8)--is the closest.

Peter

Offline luigisqueegee

• I Love Pizza!
Many use trays similar to these  -->  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D3QQHRK/?tag=pmak-20

I also have the same set that 9slicePie posted (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D3QQHRK/?tag=pmak-20) and they work really well.  I like that it comes with 2 trays and 2 covers so I have more options when arranging in my fridge over the Doughmate ones.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
I use these. I simply grease the bowls and lid with some EVOO on a paper towel. The dough releases every easy with minimal dough sticking to bottom. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-TakeAlongs-Serving-Bowl-Food-Storage-Containers-6-2-Cup-3-Count-Chili-Red/17331744

wordpress