A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: looking for a turning peel, have a question.  (Read 377 times)

Online Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
looking for a turning peel, have a question.
« on: July 18, 2021, 09:56:57 PM »
I really wanted an Ooni turning peel, but they've been OOS forever direct from Ooni. I'm seeing a lot of no-name ones on Amazon that look identical. I have a Koda, I know this is going to come down to personal preference. But does anyone have one of these smaller turners?  The handle's 15.7" which seems like it might be too short. I've never used a turner, right now I use my metal peel to pull it out and turn it by hand. And I always end up either slightly scorching my fingertips, or I get reckless and some hot a$$ pepperoni or cheese grease sloshes on my fingers.  I'm looking at the generic short ones I mentioned and one with a 33'ish inch handle from Shangpeixuan, which is about the least Italian sounding company possible, but it looks pretty nice. Just not sure how beneficial the long handle would be when using a tiny oven.  I was real close to just ordering that one, but I saw it's 9" round, where the others are 7 or 8". So it's either a short handle 7 or 8" round. or a long handle 9" round.  I usually make 10 or 11" pizzas if that makes any difference.

I know I'm overthinking this, but I also know there are probably a few dozen people here who have like 20+ turning peel lol. They'd have some useful feedback for me.

Offline Numerator

• Just keep cooking
Re: looking for a turning peel, have a question.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 12:03:45 AM »
33 inches seems like a long handle for a peel for an Ooni. The Gozney peel is small, but about the right size.

https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox-turning-peel

You might want to make a mock up to see if you really want a handle that long.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 12:06:52 AM by Numerator »
Dough Fermentation Tool
http://www.shadergraphics.com

Online Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 12:32:59 AM »
33 inches seems like a long handle for a peel for an Ooni. The Gozney peel is small, but about the right size.

https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox-turning-peel

You might want to make a mock up to see if you really want a handle that long.

The handle on that's shorter than the generic ones I'm looking at, hummmm.  Yeah I just tape measured  33" that would be pretty silly for a tiny oven. I do like Gozney saying it's designed specifically for the Roccbox. Apparently it won't work well in my Ooni lol.   I also wasnt taking into consideration the actual turner part will add 7" or so to the length.

And I just looked at my metal peel for size comparison, yeah the 33" handle one would be rediclious, I'd be over 3 feet away from the oven turning the pizzas lol.  Thanks for your insight, and thanks because you saved me $30 since I'm going with the cheaper smaller one.  Without your post I'm  sure I'd have ordered the $60 one around midnight.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 04:22:52 AM »
I really wanted an Ooni turning peel, but they've been OOS forever direct from Ooni. I'm seeing a lot of no-name ones on Amazon that look identical. I have a Koda, I know this is going to come down to personal preference. But does anyone have one of these smaller turners?  The handle's 15.7" which seems like it might be too short. I've never used a turner, right now I use my metal peel to pull it out and turn it by hand. And I always end up either slightly scorching my fingertips, or I get reckless and some hot a$$ pepperoni or cheese grease sloshes on my fingers.  I'm looking at the generic short ones I mentioned and one with a 33'ish inch handle from Shangpeixuan, which is about the least Italian sounding company possible, but it looks pretty nice. Just not sure how beneficial the long handle would be when using a tiny oven.  I was real close to just ordering that one, but I saw it's 9" round, where the others are 7 or 8". So it's either a short handle 7 or 8" round. or a long handle 9" round.  I usually make 10 or 11" pizzas if that makes any difference.

I know I'm overthinking this, but I also know there are probably a few dozen people here who have like 20+ turning peel lol. They'd have some useful feedback for me.

Ooni's accessories are grossly overpriced. Get a decent one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TWK5X8W/?tag=pmak-20
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 04:25:25 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline ChrisL

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 06:44:20 AM »
Ooni's accessories are grossly overpriced. Get a decent one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TWK5X8W/?tag=pmak-20

I have this one, it works well.

Chris

A D V E R T I S E M E N T