A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: SunMix 10  (Read 798 times)

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
SunMix 10
« on: July 19, 2021, 02:41:37 PM »
After 18 months she finally came.  Just made the first batch of dough to test this bad boy out.  Looking forward to sharing my observations, tips, tricks, etc...

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: SunMix 10
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 04:48:24 PM »
I love the color.  She's a beauty.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 05:13:30 PM »
I love the color.  She's a beauty.

Thank you!!!  My first test run went Ok.  Dough temp got up to 80f.  I'm going to keep making dough until I get it figured out perfectly.  It's quite hypnotic watching a spiral mixer do its thing.  My kids were making fun of me the whole time as I watched in awe :-D.

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 05:41:07 AM »
I believe during the summer you should cool down your flour and use cold water when you mix your dough.
At my house itís 80 at baseline so no wonder that the dough is already warm when I start and even more so when Iím done mixing. I use a sunmix6 6 btw.
Will be interesting to see how much the temp goes up in the winter.
Personally I like to mix dough on low speed, since the heat development is far less but you still have quite strong gluten development in no time

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 08:20:40 AM »
I believe during the summer you should cool down your flour and use cold water when you mix your dough.
At my house itís 80 at baseline so no wonder that the dough is already warm when I start and even more so when Iím done mixing. I use a sunmix6 6 btw.
Will be interesting to see how much the temp goes up in the winter.
Personally I like to mix dough on low speed, since the heat development is far less but you still have quite strong gluten development in no time

I used cold water to mix but did not cool down the flour, which I've read that some people do.  Considering the amount of time I mixed for 80f isn't so bad.  I'm pretty confident I can get this to 75-77f with no problem at all.  The dough looks pretty good this am and hasn't even doubled in volume at 70f room temp.  We'll see how it handles when I form the balls this am.

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 08:42:30 AM »
80 is still ok, mine went up from baseline 80 To 82-83, I think thatís too much.
Congrats again and have fun with your machine, I love my sunmix.
Did you really wait for 1 year to get it?

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 09:06:05 AM »
80 is still ok, mine went up from baseline 80 To 82-83, I think thatís too much.
Congrats again and have fun with your machine, I love my sunmix.
Did you really wait for 1 year to get it?

I ordered it right when Covid hit.  The first one came in without a timer so I had to wait for another shipment.  It was more like 16 months now that I think about it.  Totally worth the wait.  The build quality is outstanding!!!!!

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
So cool!
They had the Sunmix 6 in stock so that was great, though I had to wait 4 months for my pizza oven. Though times

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
So cool!
They had the Sunmix 6 in stock so that was great, though I had to wait 4 months for my pizza oven. Though times

What oven did you buy?

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »
ZioCiro mini

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 10:21:56 AM »
ZioCiro mini

Very Nice!!!!! How do you like it? 

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
Great small refractory oven! Can bake 13inch, goes up to 1000f. Floor is not too conductive so you can bake Neapolitan. You also can do 700-800f bakes. I love it!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 02:10:17 PM »
Great small refractory oven! Can bake 13inch, goes up to 1000f. Floor is not too conductive so you can bake Neapolitan. You also can do 700-800f bakes. I love it!

They are nice ovens!  I've cooked on the 80 and the 100 a bunch of times but never tried any of them in gas.  The mini looks really cool!!!!! 

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 02:08:43 PM »
Hey guys,
Just wanted to share a picture of dough that I made with the Sunmix10.  I purposely wanted to see what would happen if I mixed the dough for much longer than I normally would (25 minutes), allowing the FDT to reach 82f.  The recipe was 966 grams of Ap flour from King Arthur (non bleached), 599 grams water ( cold with ice cubes), 25.1 grams salt, and 0.16 grams IDY.  The dough was build fermented at 72f for 18 hours, then balled.  The dough doubled in size.  When I went to ball the dough it was so airy and light and somewhat difficult to ball smoothly.  The picture speaks for itself.  My goal was to purposely try and over heat the dough and make it utterly useless.  I'm going to see what happens when I try to form the skins to see how the dough will perform.  I am going to cross post this in Chau's Famag thread to share results with home spiral mixers so we can all learn from each other.  Time will tell if it is totally useless or not.  From what I can tell now, I've done a lot worse trying not to screw up than by purposely trying!  These have been balled for 4.5 hours.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:23:39 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 08:25:47 PM »
Just made another batch of dough.  Same recipe as the one above.  This time I shortened the time to 15 minutes total mix time.  The first 6 minutes were on low, the next 5 at 125 RPM's, then back to low for the remaining.  I saved a few drops of water for the end of the mix until the pumpkin formed.  I stopped the mixer at 15 minutes. The finished dough temperature never got above 75f.  Let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes, formed a nice tight bulk dough ball and will let it rest for 18 hours at 70f.  I used 0.15grams of yeast.  Came out great!!!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
My last batch of dough turned out to be exceptional.  The skins opened with ease and had great strength.  I was able to stretch the 265g balls between 14-15 inches without any tears in the dough or any visible thin spots.  The dough was silky smooth!!!!  I am getting through 100 lbs of flour, changing techniques every time to see how these spirals perform.  Unless I'm working with hydration over 65% I will not exceed 125 RPM's on the mixer and most likely will keep it at the slowest setting.  In case you all are wondering why I am not actually making pizza it is because I sold my oven and weighing my options.  I just want to perfect using the spiral mixer for Ny and Neapolitan style doughs so that it is fool proof.  I love this thing!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyone who is on the fence about buying one of these or something similar I highly recommend it.  They are dough machines!  More to follow.

Bill