A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Enzyme Malt vs Diastatic Malt?  (Read 518 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Enzyme Malt vs Diastatic Malt?
« on: July 27, 2021, 03:47:52 AM »
Google's not helping me here, probably because I don't know the exact way to word what I'm searching.  I found this enzyme malt

https://www.morebeer.com/products/viking-enzyme-malt.html?variant=GR904C&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D8cG7JnKFQKRjfWnLNdl9ihWz_LxJay1k28h0L-DFMZpTi7qjHGh1waAmBHEALw_wcB

can't argue with the price, 5llbs is about what 1lb costs on amazon. I don't know if this is diastatic or non-diastatic. The description says "Diastatic power WK dm" so I'm assuming it's diastatic but is it? and if so, would this be a good choice for pizza?  They have a couple different brands on there, and they have different Moisture %

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Enzyme Malt vs Diastatic Malt?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 04:37:22 AM »
Looks like diastatic, but not sure how much lintner U it has.
I’d just order some and try it out for the price. Diastatic malt is a bit tricky imo because it needs to be dosed right otherwise your dough may turn into a mess. If it has strong activity then you only need very little% to simulate the fermentation process of a malted flour.
One pound should last you a long time, and make sure to keep it in the fridge or freezer.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 08:26:49 AM »
Google's not helping me here, probably because I don't know the exact way to word what I'm searching.  I found this enzyme malt

https://www.morebeer.com/products/viking-enzyme-malt.html?variant=GR904C&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D8cG7JnKFQKRjfWnLNdl9ihWz_LxJay1k28h0L-DFMZpTi7qjHGh1waAmBHEALw_wcB

can't argue with the price, 5llbs is about what 1lb costs on amazon. I don't know if this is diastatic or non-diastatic. The description says "Diastatic power WK dm" so I'm assuming it's diastatic but is it? and if so, would this be a good choice for pizza?  They have a couple different brands on there, and they have different Moisture %

AP Mauri is the one you want to buy.  You can buy it  from Nybakers.com or from https://centralmilling.com/product/type-00-pizza-flour-organic-type-00-normal/.  Central milling doesn't have it on their website but they sell it in multiple sizes and is the same product as Ny Bakers.  This is the one Tony Gemignani mentions in his book "The pizza Bible".  It is a great choice for pizza in a home oven!!!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:28:32 AM by billg »

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
AP Mauri is the one you want to buy.  You can buy it  from Nybakers.com or from https://centralmilling.com/product/type-00-pizza-flour-organic-type-00-normal/.  Central milling doesn't have it on their website but they sell it in multiple sizes and is the same product as Ny Bakers.  This is the one Tony Gemignani mentions in his book "The pizza Bible".  It is a great choice for pizza in a home oven!!!!

Will order it from NYbakers.com, as far as the flour you linked to, I'm not sure you meant to link to it?  The shipping's not as crazy high as a lot of flours in bigger bags. So I think I'll order that too, thank you.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:55:43 AM »
Will order it from NYbakers.com, as far as the flour you linked to, I'm not sure you meant to link to it?  The shipping's not as crazy high as a lot of flours in bigger bags. So I think I'll order that too, thank you.

I just wanted to link their website so you could find their number and call if you wanted to.  Good luck with the LDMP!!!!

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 04:27:36 PM »
I just wanted to link their website so you could find their number and call if you wanted to.  Good luck with the LDMP!!!!

Well thank you for indirectly helping me a 2nd time, I was looking for a decent priced place to get 25lb bags of 00.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »
Most of the malt I've seen is the diluted version which has flour and sugar added. You can just use less of  the Viking or Briess pure malt. The Briess product is about 200 L. That Viking malt shows over 600 WK which has to be converted to L for direct comparisons. My algebra solving is long forgotten so I just do a few test batches and settle on a routine.

Btw I use a lot more malt than recommended with great results.

Offline Peterchur

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »

Billg, can you tell me more about how and why you use AP Mauri malt? I just ordered a pound from my Akers.com and their website says they are getting out of the consumer small orders and focusing on larger orders.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »
I only use it for my home oven to make NY pies.  It helps with the browning of the crust.  I use about 1-2 % of total flour weight. 

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
Enzyme Malt vs Diastatic Malt?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »

Please disregard if you know this: That is malted barley. …as in grain used for brewing and distilling. You’ll need a mill to crack it and then you’ll have to separate husks from it, then mill it again to get barley flour. It’s easier just to buy dry malt extract.

It is diastic meaning it has the enzymes to convert the starch to sugar.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:12:26 PM by Dwain »
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew