A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Freezing 7/11's  (Read 579 times)

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
Freezing 7/11's
« on: July 28, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »
Hey guys!

There are #10 cans of 7/11 tomatoes for sale at my local Smart and Final. Given the positive feedback on this product in the forum, I'm definitely considering giving them a try. Needless to say, that's way too much sauce for me to use in a few sessions.

I've heard they freeze very well but there were a handful of people commenting on the tartness of them when frozen. I was hoping if someone who has experience with 7/11's can comment on this.

Do they become tart when frozen? How long will they keep frozen? What would be the best way to store them in the freezer? I've heard a few people say the consistency and the color changes as they freeze. Is this true?

Many thanks!

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: Freezing 7/11's
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 11:42:48 AM »
I break the can down into smaller 1/3 can portions and freeze them in containers.  The main downside is that they develop ice crystals (mostly near the surface) and then when thawed gain more water content as the ice melts.  So in essence, the sauce is a little thinner after thawed.  For me, this isn't a terrible thing as I like a bit of a thinner sauce.   I don't think the dilution affects the flavor in a noticeable way and I haven't personally noticed the tartness thing.  I've had frozen portions for months and haven't detected a problem in that regard either.

Jeff

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:43:34 PM »
They will freeze good as long as you get all the air out. If you freeze them in a plastic container of some sort there will be an air pocket between the lid and the sauce, if frozen for longer periods the sauce will not come out the same way, it's edible but everything is different about it, most importantly the taste, loses flavour over time.

Vaccum sealer is the best, portion it however you like and seal away, I always double seal regardless of what I'm sealing.

Next  would be heavy duty freezer bags, put sauce in and get as much air out either using a straw or by submerging the bag (open a bit) into a bowl or sink of water, it will push all the air out, works really good, then seal. Good thing with sauce is that it's easy to get pretty much all of the air out, just gotta make sure your using a good quality bag.

Lastly another trick that works pretty good is use an airtight container, put the sauce in then cut a piece of plastic wrap (bit of a pain to do) and lay/press it on the top of the sauce making sure the plastic covers all the top of the sauce and goes up the sides just a bit. Press the plastic wrap with your fingertips to push the air out (very easy) and the plastic wrap kinda suctions to the sauce, then put the lid on. The plastic wrap makes an airtight seal with no air in between it and the sauce and moisture/ice wont come in contact with the sauce which changes its characteristics, really works well, done it this way many times.

Spoodling the sauce into vaccum or freezer bags can get a bit messy, I cut the top off of a juice bottle that had a  fairly wide opening and use it as a funnel. Works really good for the freezer bags, you want to avoid getting anything on the zippered portion of the bags, might not seal properly, might feel like is closed tightly but once it freezes that sometimes shows another story.

As far as how long you can freeze it for, idk, I've read up to 6mos, I've never gone that long so I can't say. I also buy #10 cans, I add the ingredients and let chill in the fridge for 24-48hrs, keep enough out for what I will use in about a 7 day period and freeze the rest, usually stays in my freezer for 5-6 weeks with no issues, I'm pretty confindent longer would be fine.

Kori B
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 01:52:56 AM »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 07:59:23 AM »
I freeze them in pint deli containers.  I add a little water to thaw the ice crystals and drain it off to avoid freezer burn flavors.  Vacuum sealing would be best.  The pump seal on my FoodSaver dry rotted and it's far down on my repair to-do list.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:18:05 AM by jkb »
John

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »
I freeze it all  the time. I guess I've never done a side by side from frozen to unfrozen, and my tastes aren't refined enough to notice much of a difference without a side by side. They are a little more watery as already mentioned.

I freeze in Ziploc freezer bags. Submerge in water to get all the air out as you close the bag, and freeze flat.

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 08:26:01 PM »
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 09:19:05 PM »
I put mine in FOODSAVER QT Containers and the FoodSaver takes the AIR out of the containers......JT

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 10:53:54 PM »
I have been freezing for years.  I usually open a can when I am making chili or Bolognese sauce, then freeze some in 1 pint freezer containers that let you "burp" them to get all the air out.  They don't inhabit my freezer very long... perhaps a month, 2 at the most.  I really like 7/11 and Full Red extra heavy tomato puree as base ingredients.
All the best, Dave

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 01:43:08 AM »
For liquidy stuff like soups and sauces I use freezer zip locks, the least messy and least pita. Have used at a couple years old with little loss in quality. Cut off the freezer burnt corners, really, good to go! I don't push that far often, but once in a while, you find a stray, and I'm a tight ass!!!🤣
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

wordpress