A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Please help with dough issue!  (Read 598 times)

Offline joezam

• I Love Pizza!
Please help with dough issue!
« on: August 03, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
Please help!

I followed this recipe exactly and this is what happened to my dough. I let it proof covered for 6 hrs, when I removed the plastic wrap this was what my dough looked like, I pit flour and a little olive oil on each ball too, covered and it was airy and stuck. Any help? Here is the link to the recipe I followed from Vito Lacopelli. I live in San Diego, CA.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: Please help with dough issue!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »
That looks seriously over fermented, it looks like it has proofed until it peaked in size and then collapsed. 

Too much yeast or too long a fermentation time for the temperature you kept the dough at.

Edit: And don't leave raw flour on the dough ball like that, it will hurt you later in the process.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 01:22:09 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline joezam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 01:55:37 PM »
Thank you! The directions said 5-6 hrs fermentation at room temperature and dust the balls prior to putting the clear wrap over to prevent sticking.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
Thank you! The directions said 5-6 hrs fermentation at room temperature and dust the balls prior to putting the clear wrap over to prevent sticking.

Don't dust and oil. Either/Or...
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 02:18:09 PM »
Do you have a photo of the poolish before you mixed the dough?

The thing is that Vito has amazing pizzaiolo skills and seems to be able to make any kind of dough and make a success from it.  He's playing around all the time with new methods and I'm not sure that all his recipes will work for everyone..  Using a poolish is adding extra layers of complexity, that's to say ways that things can go wrong.  Maybe it would be better to start with a direct dough, and 8-12 hours of fermentation, or possibly a fridge fermented dough.

That said, it seems like your temperature was too high for this recipe to succeed, maybe it would have been ok if you let the balls proof less time.  Of course having foil cling to the balls and having to pull that off doesn't help at all.  But in this case it seems like there was no strength left in the balls, just a lot of gas and gluten strands holding it together, which broke completely when you pulled the wrap off.  It would have been difficult to make pizza even without this issue.

Edit: Maybe Vito's fridge was colder than your fridge which would impact the poolish a lot!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline joezam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »
Thank you and I did not do the poolish, sorry I did the normal recipe that he had on his site. The fermentation was recommend at room temperature for 5-6hrs.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 02:58:51 PM »
You need to adjust the amount of yeast depending on the temperature of the dough and the time you want it to proof.

If you've learnt about baking percentages this might come in handy: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg393271#msg393271 (If not just ask and someone will help you).

It will help you to figure out a starting point for how much yeast to use depending on the temperature and desired proofing time.  You might have to fine tune it with a few bakes depending on your own circumstances.
Jack

Online billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »

How much yeast did you use and what temp was "room temp"?

Offline joezam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 10:41:40 AM »
Thank you for the response!

DRY YEAST 5 GR.

Offline joezam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 10:42:02 AM »
room temp was around 75 degrees

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 08:13:32 AM »
How much flour did you use?
Jack

Offline joezam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »
WATER 1L.
DRY YEAST 5 GR.
HONEY 5GR.
FLOUR 1500KG
SALT 25GR.
OLIVE OIL 50GR.

This is what his recipe said to use. I believe I converted the flour to 6.34 cups of flour. Because his recipe says 1500KG and that converts to 6,345 cups. I'm sorry this was all confusing

Online Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 03:15:50 PM »
Perhaps you mean 1.5 kg of flour and not 1500 kg? If 1.5 kg was it, then that's 1500 grams, and at 120 grams per cup of flour, 12.5 properly filled cups of flour. Using volume measurement when making doughs will never give you consistency. Never. Use a scale if you want to consistently be able to repeat recipes. If you don't have a digital scale, you should get one. They are $15 US dollars or less at most big box retailers and Amazon.

In various tests, when people were asked to fill standard US volume cups with flour, it ranged from the 120 grams to the 170 in grams. Using cups to measure volume of flour or anything will keep you away from what you are trying to accomplish.

WATER 1L.
DRY YEAST 5 GR.
HONEY 5GR.
FLOUR 1500KG
SALT 25GR.
OLIVE OIL 50GR.

This is what his recipe said to use. I believe I converted the flour to 6.34 cups of flour. Because his recipe says 1500KG and that converts to 6,345 cups. I'm sorry this was all confusing
Instagram: lightfuzer

Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline Bitonto Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 12:08:44 PM »
It's a little hard to tell from just one photo but I agree with other posters that it looks severely over-fermented or that maybe it stuck to the wrap and pulled apart. That being said, it should not over-ferment if you let it rise for 6 hours at 75F. The only way I can think of is if you had too much yeast for the flour or used a quick-rising yeast.
I sometimes find Vito's videos hard to follow so I put together some details on my website that might help. See: https://bitonto.pizza/guide/making-pizza-dough-with-poolish/
https://bitonto.pizza/blog/verace-pizza-italiana-specification-disciplinare/

wordpress