A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What size pizza peel head  (Read 299 times)

Offline LaGaby

• I Love Pizza!
What size pizza peel head
« on: August 06, 2021, 05:13:20 AM »
Hi everyone, just a quick question, I'm buying a GI metal pizza peel and I intend to make 12-13inch pizzas, do you think I need to buy a size that fits this size pizza or is it better that the pizza overhangs slightly (what I've seen on videos and pictures)?

Offline Gene in Acadiana

Re: What size pizza peel head
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 01:03:02 PM »
If your pizza overhangs the peel it will be a little more difficult to successfully launch it, especially if you are new to using one. I would get one just slightly larger than the largest pizza you are planning on making and one that will easily fit into your oven if you're using a WFO with a smaller opening.

Now, a turning peel should be somewhat smaller than the size of the pizza so you can you use the edges of the pizza to spin it around during the bake.   

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 02:22:12 PM »
Hi everyone, just a quick question, I'm buying a GI metal pizza peel and I intend to make 12-13inch pizzas, do you think I need to buy a size that fits this size pizza or is it better that the pizza overhangs slightly (what I've seen on videos and pictures)?

14 inch peel head would be good for your pizza size.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 05:37:15 PM »
LaGaby,

Will your oven be a factor in selecting the size of peel? Some small ovens require small peels.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 11:36:03 PM »
As has been said, peel should be at least the size of the pie launched or slightly bigger, and goes without saying being able to get thru opening adequately. Turning peel 1/2 the size or less. Also consider length of handle to keep your hands away from the heat blast given depth of the oven. Measure from back of oven, end of handle should be 14-18" from oven or so. Too long is better than too short when you're burning the front of your hands! My 2c......
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress