A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Making decent pizza with a low temp oven?  (Read 700 times)

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!
Making decent pizza with a low temp oven?
« on: August 07, 2021, 05:39:05 PM »
Hey guys, I'm totally new to making pizza so please forgive my ignorance.

I need to improve the bottom of my pizzas, they don't brown much at all.

My main issue (I think) is that my oven isn't very good, I don't have the option of replacing it so my question is, are there any recipe adjustments I can make to get a better from a low temp oven?

My oven is max 190C and I'm currently using the Adam Ragusea recipe, it takes around 12-14 minutes to fully cook my pizza. It tastes ok but it does cause some cheese separation, I've been getting around this by using mozzarella slices instead of grated which seems to help.

I'm using a 6mm pizza steel which is pre-heated for 2 hours before use, and this cheese https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/galbani-mozzarella-cucina/041221-20390-20391

I'm using Indian head corn meal to slide in

Crust crisps up nicely, it's just the bottom that needs help.

Any support or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Making decent pizza with a low temp oven?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 07:25:13 PM »
Some pictures of your finished pies would help us a lot to figure out how to proceed.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 01:33:16 PM »
Some pictures of your finished pies would help us a lot to figure out how to proceed.

Sure, thanks!

Here's one I made tonight, it's only a 1day cold rise so I know it's not as fluffy as it could be, it's a lot better after 3-4 days but who has the patience to wait for pizza!

*this is 11mins in the oven, preheated steel for 2 hours on the bottom rack of an electric fan oven.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 01:36:44 PM by AlanStreak »

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 01:56:04 PM »
It would also help to post your dough recipe, particularly the kind of flour you're using and if you're adding any oil, sugar, etc. I'm sure many of us don't have a clue who Adam Ragusea is.

Also, a 6mm steel will reach its hottest point in about an hour. Anything longer and you are just wasting time and electricity/gas. You can also try blasting it with the broiler just before launching to try to get it hotter, assuming your oven has a top broiler.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »
In addition to posting the name of the flour you're using, a photo or listing of the ingredient statement would help. You definitely want to use a malted flour which will have an ingredient such as "malted barley flour," or "enzymes" listed as an ingredient.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 02:46:46 PM »
It would also help to post your dough recipe, particularly the kind of flour you're using and if you're adding any oil, sugar, etc. I'm sure many of us don't have a clue who Adam Ragusea is.

Also, a 6mm steel will reach its hottest point in about an hour. Anything longer and you are just wasting time and electricity/gas. You can also try blasting it with the broiler just before launching to try to get it hotter, assuming your oven has a top broiler.

The recipe I'm using is:

530 ml warm water
12g sugar
9g active dry yeast
30 ml olive oil
18g salt
900g flour

https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-00-pasta-flour-557097011
this is the flour I'm using, ingredients are:

Wheatflour contains Gluten (with Wheatflour Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Durum Wheat Semolina (contains Gluten), Wheat Gluten

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »
That looks like a fine pizza flour for higher temp ovens. It's not malted. If you could secure some diastatic malt, I think it would improve your browning issues dramatically. Diastatic malt comes in all sorts of different concentrations. If you can find out what sort of diastatic malt flour you can obtain, we can help you figure out how much to use.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 03:20:05 PM »
That looks like a fine pizza flour for higher temp ovens. It's not malted. If you could secure some diastatic malt, I think it would improve your browning issues dramatically. Diastatic malt comes in all sorts of different concentrations. If you can find out what sort of diastatic malt flour you can obtain, we can help you figure out how much to use.

Thanks, that's appreciated. How's this one?

https://www.ocado.com/products/marriage-s-organic-strong-malted-brown-bread-flour-269836011

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »
It's not what I'd suggest for pizza. Look more like a whole-wheat type of flour.

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 03:44:27 PM »
Wholegrain is not a good choice for traditional pizza.

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:44:14 AM by AlanStreak »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
I think adding some of that to the flour will make a big difference. Most of the folks here use diastatic malt powder (DMP) that is 20 lintner strong. That one is 120-180, so it's 6-9X as concentrated. That's not a problem, bust something to be aware of when reading posts here. I'd start by adding 0.5g per 100g flour and work up from there. There is a point where adding too much will break down your dough, so start low and work up in as series of batches in small increments.

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »
I think adding some of that to the flour will make a big difference. Most of the folks here use diastatic malt powder (DMP) that is 20 lintner strong. That one is 120-180, so it's 6-9X as concentrated. That's not a problem, bust something to be aware of when reading posts here. I'd start by adding 0.5g per 100g flour and work up from there. There is a point where adding too much will break down your dough, so start low and work up in as series of batches in small increments.

Thank you so much, I've ordered 1KG. Let's hope it works.

Offline AlanStreak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 03:14:38 AM »

Thanks again for your help, this stuff is amazing and has made a huge difference to the browning!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 06:27:20 PM »
Looking good!

wordpress