A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ferment in a wine refrigerator  (Read 314 times)

Offline pjs5456a

• I Love Pizza!
Ferment in a wine refrigerator
« on: August 20, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »
Not sure if this is the best place to post this.  Is there an advantage to cold fermenting in a wine refrigerator at 55F versus a kitchen refrigerator at 39F or both as I currently do?  Iím currently doing both and not sure if it makes the most sense, though the pizzas have been very good.     After kneading the dough, I bulk room ferment 73F for 20 minutes, then wine refrigerator bulk ferment for 16 hrs and it typically doubles or slightly more than doubles, then I move it to the 39F refrigerator and bulk ferment for another 24-36 hours.  During the 39F ferment it usually grows 10-20%.

Iím only making about 800-1000gms dough,  65-70% hydration, 0.20% IDY, 85% King Arthur Bread Flour/15% hard wheat locally stone ground, 550F baking steel 6 minutes.  Style is hybrid Thin crust/Neopolitan

If you suggest only using the wine refrigerator, I will need to reduce the yeast % or itíll grow too much.

Thanks

Online Pizza_Not_War

Re: Ferment in a wine refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 11:02:08 AM »
I prefer fridge temperature as it gives me a longer window to use dough. I've used a wine fridge and it worked fine. Not a big difference in final taste for me.

Offline charlesfondue

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
Why did you start using a partial wine fridge ferment instead of just the kitchen fridge?

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 11:35:46 AM »
You are on a good track here...as far as combo vs one or the other,  I suggest experimenting to see what you prefer. Any of those ways work, but are a matter of preference. Will enjoy following your journey :) 

Offline pjs5456a

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 12:31:35 PM »
Why did you start using a partial wine fridge ferment instead of just the kitchen fridge?
. I find when I use only the 39F fridge,  sometimes the dough doesnít grow at all and other times it grows.   Trying to keep all conditions the same but seeing variability.   With the wine fridge followed by the 39F fridge, Iíve made it 4 times now and the growth in the wine fridge and 39F fridge have been nearly identical

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 02:27:22 PM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress