A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thin Crust Dough, does anyone have experience with durum semolina  (Read 276 times)

Offline Old Goat

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
I see many other non-Chicago style crisp crust recipes using between 10% and 49% durum semolina. Has anyone tried this for a Chicago style thin crust and what were the results? Thanks
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. -
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline PizzaGarage

Yes, and it adds a tender bite effect to the crust.  Not a thin crispy crust with "crunch" but more so a crust that is thin, firm with a tender bite if that makes sense.  I've tried from 5% to 15%, not my favorite but it is good.  As I recall 10% was a good number with semolina.  Start there and try it out.  I used Bob's Red Mill in those experiments.

Offline Old Goat

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Thank you! I found a recipe from a well known cooking school that used 49% durum semolina; tried it. The dough was incredibly easy to work with and roll out, much more so than AP or Bakers flour, but the crust flavor was very flat. Might try a 10% mix for easy in sheeting, but working on cornmeal ratios now. Thanks again
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. -
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
In my experience, semolina needs to be used at a rate of over 10% in the mix to create a noticeable difference to the texture of the finished crust. And I haven't really used it in Chicago deep dish style, either. I use it in thin crust pizzas at a rate of 13% to 25% depending on how crunchy/crispy I want my finished pizza to be. If you're interested in trying it out, I'd suggest using it at a rate of 15% to 20% for starters and see what that gets you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:12:05 PM by RHawthorne »
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Old Goat

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Thanks
Sir Winston Churchill

A D V E R T I S E M E N T