A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tips/Advice on Tiling a FGM Oven?  (Read 231 times)

Offline Maine18

Tips/Advice on Tiling a FGM Oven?
« on: August 23, 2021, 06:51:42 PM »
Hi all –
Hoping to pick the brains of folks with some experience tiling a hearth oven kit. Here are some details of my project as quick background:

•   I’m set to assemble a 950 B raised FGM oven in a few weeks.  I’ve purchased the kit from Breadstone.  I originally hoped to get a turnkey oven, but the nature/placement our backyard project made it too difficult, so we’re going to assemble on site.  “We” here is a contractor we’ve hired (who is doing the whole backyard project). They do a lot of masonry work, but this is their first pizza oven I believe.
•   We’ve picked out a dark, almost metallic penny tile for the outside of the oven.  We need to order a quantity of tile (with a 2 week lead time), without the option of returning unused tile (see question 1 below!)
•   We’re placing the oven on a deck (NB: validated the load/carrying capacity), and at the end of an outdoor kitchen bar.  We plan to partially “recess” the oven vis-à-vis the counter around it, which really just means we plan to build the counter-top that surrounds the oven ~9” up from the base of the actual oven, such that the shelf is just underneath the door opening. See shelf inspiration in the photo attached (this is a FGM example)

With that as context, here are some specific questions:
1.   Any tips/tricks/best practices on creating a clean, symmetrical form upon which to lay the tile? It looks like there is a lot of art involved here, but there might able be some best practices for creating forms/mesh/board material? I’m hoping for a simple dome, perhaps like the photo attached (which is a 950 FGM example). 
2.   For 950 owners specifically: any tips on estimating the sq ft of penny tile to order? I’ve done my best surface area calculations (wiping away high school geometry cobwebs), but there seems to be a really wide range depending on the oven’s final shape.  Breadstone provide a rough range of 60-80 sq ft as guidance; my own calculation came to ~32 sq ft (factoring in the “recess”), so some big variances already to sort through, complicated by my inability to return if I over-order, and the 2 week lag if I under order…
3.   Any watch-outs on the “recess” part of the project? I’ve gleaned that we need to be very careful
of water/run-off and make sure we do not create any places/seams we’re water could pool or collect and degrade the oven over time.

Thanks very much in advance!  I’ve done by best to read through a lot of (all of??) the posts from FGM owners – some great ones on the forum -- but of course, any specific leads of threads to check out would be welcome, too!

Thanks!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tips/Advice on Tiling a FGM Oven?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 06:56:19 PM »
I think it would be best to over order just in case you need to replace or repair any tiles in the future.  The color or pattern you choose now may not be available in the future.  This way you are protected.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:42:12 PM by billg »

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:14 PM »
I bought mine built, but here is a video showing the built process of a 950-B  --> 

It might help you with your build.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Maine18

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »
I think it would be best to over order just in case you need to replace or repair any tiles in the future.  The color or pattern you choose now may not be available in the future.  This way you are protected.

Totally agree! I was thinking of a 15%ish buffer for extra/repairs in the future, my issue is that I'm not sure what to base that off of -- 15% of... :).  The tile we picked up is pretty expensive, to make matters worse, so really don't want to spend hundreds extra if I can avoid it...

Offline Maine18

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 01:14:10 PM »
I bought mine built, but here is a video showing the built process of a 950-B  --> 

It might help you with your build.

Yes, this is an awesome video, for sure going to have this playing next to us while we assemble! Thank you!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 06:18:04 PM »
Totally agree! I was thinking of a 15%ish buffer for extra/repairs in the future, my issue is that I'm not sure what to base that off of -- 15% of... :).  The tile we picked up is pretty expensive, to make matters worse, so really don't want to spend hundreds extra if I can avoid it...

If Antoine recommended 60-80 sq feet I would use 80 as the number and add an additional  15-20% buffer.

wordpress