A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Raw-texture, but not raw?  (Read 577 times)

Offline hominamad

• I Love Pizza!
Raw-texture, but not raw?
« on: September 02, 2021, 04:12:37 PM »
Hi all - this is my first post to the forum. Hoping someone could give me some tips of what to try next. I just picked up a Onni Koda 16 and have been trying to perfect a classic Neapolitan pie. To be honest, I've been getting some pretty great results, even from my first pie. But now I'm nitpicking and trying to really perfect it.

The challenge with the Ooni seems to be how to cook the pizza all the way through before it starts burning, yet still get the desired spotting, char etc.. In my last cook, I think I have improved my shaping technique and was able to get the dough really thin - almost see-through in some parts.

However, the crust still has a slightly chewy texture that almost tastes a bit raw - but its definitely cooked through (I think). Should I focus on tweaking my cook time, and maybe cook at lower temp and try to get it to cook longer? Or could it have to do with the dough? I was using a 62% hydration last time. I'm also wondering if this is just how true Neapolitan pizza is supposed to be? I have not been to Naples so don't really have an accurate benchmark - but either way, I would like the crust to be a bit more crisp, both on the edges and bottom.

I attached a pic of my last cook. Unfortunately I didn't take a cross section photo of the crust. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

H

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Raw-texture, but not raw?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 05:43:33 PM »
Maybe the dough is a bit under-fermented. Or maybe you're using a bit too much dough. Maybe both.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 09:28:01 PM »
Need some more info.

What temp are you cooking at? And what flour are you using?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 10:38:03 PM »
As it sits it looks beautiful, but a cross section pic of a slice would help!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 07:03:13 AM »
FWIW, I think I noticed a slight raw taste to my Napoletana so I lowered the hydration to 58%, and I'm pretty sure that made it go away.

It's hard to explain what a perfect Napoletana should be, IMO perfectly baked through with no hint of rawness, while still floppy on the bottom.  The cornicione has a slight crisp on the outside, but still it bounces back if you press a finger into it.  It also shouldn't really be chewy.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline hominamad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'm using Caputo 00 flour, and cooking around 930 deg. I've noticed that another big factor is where I launch the pizza in the oven. I tend to go too far back to the flame which results in quicker burning. I've also been experimenting with keeping the oven on high, but then turning it down to low after launching. It seems a lot of people with Oonis do this.

I'm just trying to figure out if my issue is related to the cooking time/temp, or if it's related to my dough. I'm going to try a 58% hydration and see if that makes any difference. I sort of have a mindset that higher hydration=better, but I guess that's not always the case.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 09:39:38 AM »
Still think the most likely explanation is under-fermenting.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline hominamad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »
Still think the most likely explanation is under-fermenting.

What is the reason under fermenting could cause this symptom? Is it that there's still too much activity left in the yeast and it rises too much during the cook? One other thing I did notice, as I said, this cook I really had my best shaping. The crust was paper thing, almost see-through before I cooked it. Yet the cooked pie didn't seem thin at all. It rose quite a bit and became sort of thick. I wonder if this is also due to under fermenting.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »
I don't cook Neopolitan pizza here at work... but I cook HUNDREDS of semi-NY style per week, and in my experience underfermented dough browns LESS than properly fermented dough. I cook anywhere between 500-525 though. So it might not even be the same thing.

Offline hominamad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 09:45:27 AM »
Hi - did another cook last weekend, just got around to posting this now. I tried a 58% hydration dough this time. Definitely noticed a slight difference in the texture, and also the way it cooked - but I still had the doughy texture.

I am able now to get the dough extremely thin before topping, but when it cooks, it just seems to rise up so much.

I'm interested in this under-fermented theory. I wonder if the yeast just has too much activity left in it when I cook it, so rises a lot more and gets thick during cooking. Sort of the pizza equivalent of oven spring. Is this possible?

Some pics from last weekend below. I want to cook again tonight, but not sure what to change this time. Was thinking of going back up to a 60% hydration, and proofing the dough for longer.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 06:16:40 PM »
I don't see anything in that last picture that looks doughy? Are you familiar with proper Neapolitan texture in general? It's not the same as NY-style. Maybe you just don't like NP?

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 09:15:09 PM »
 ^^^

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 09:44:24 PM »
I don't see anything in that last picture that looks doughy? Are you familiar with proper Neapolitan texture in general? It's not the same as NY-style. Maybe you just don't like NP?

Nailed it Craig! I have made near perfect NP pies, and my wife is nor overly fond of them, doesn't dislike them just not her favorite.  And a buddy of mine is not a fan at all, wants a cheese bomb, chewy crust pie. He's not interested in any explaination of why or how, just wants cheese and meat and tough chewy crust!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 10:27:36 PM »
Hi - did another cook last weekend, just got around to posting this now. I tried a 58% hydration dough this time. Definitely noticed a slight difference in the texture, and also the way it cooked - but I still had the doughy texture.

I am able now to get the dough extremely thin before topping, but when it cooks, it just seems to rise up so much.

I'm interested in this under-fermented theory. I wonder if the yeast just has too much activity left in it when I cook it, so rises a lot more and gets thick during cooking. Sort of the pizza equivalent of oven spring. Is this possible?

Some pics from last weekend below. I want to cook again tonight, but not sure what to change this time. Was thinking of going back up to a 60% hydration, and proofing the dough for longer.

Your pies look quite nice!
Jon

Offline hominamad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »
Thanks - maybe you guys are right - and what I have is NP style. In any case, I AM happy with what I've been producing. I'm just really trying to tweak it at this point. I feel like there always must be some room for improvement.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 07:17:16 PM »
Maybe a hybrid version would be more to your liking, giving you a bit more firm texture to the dough....
Jon

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 05:24:58 AM »
Do everything the same, just bake for a longer time at a lower temperature.  It seems like most people (except for the people of Naples) prefer a more crunchy pizza.  I have the same experience with my wife and friends, while personally I'm on the fence and like both Napoletana and other more crunchy styles.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.