A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Firebricks in an Ooni?  (Read 352 times)

Offline sbash

• I Love Pizza!
Firebricks in an Ooni?
« on: September 02, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »
I'm not sure if I am missing something or what, but I have some firebricks kicking around, can I swap out my Ooni Pro's stone for them?

Offline andrewsiff

• Supporting Member
  • Itís generally easier to do it right
Re: Firebricks in an Ooni?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
Sure!
43 years in restaurants, never worked a pizzeria, though Iíve always wanted to. Just didnít work out.

Offline sbash

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:49 AM »
I ran a proof of concept, it went well.  I was hoping to just swap the stones out for the firebricks, but of course it isn't going to be that easy...

The stock stones have little stands (for some reason???), so I just put a few bricks on top of the stock stone.  This dramatically reduced the oven size. 

The cook was good, I got the surface of the bricks up to 450C and the bottom didn't burn like cordierite stone did.  BUT, the bottom didn't cook as well as it could have; although, I feel like that is just due to not letting the bricks heat up long enough.  I was getting pretty hungry, so I really only gave it 20 minutes or so. 

A big problem I had was the stones moving around, I needed to be very delicate with the turning peel.  So, that is obviously quite unacceptable...

Next up, either remove the stand offs for the stock stones, or drill out the patter into the firebricks, replacing the cordierite stone completely.

More to follow!

Offline sbash

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »
A quick follow up:

I picked up a few more bricks so I could make a better pattern with them.  So far I am liking the results! 

Offline peakpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 12:03:56 PM »
Which kind or brand of bricks are you using?

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 10:59:27 PM »
I had the same idea and went with it, but I wasn't impressed with the results at all. But I do use firebricks for a flame shield in between the fuel chamber and baking chamber. I've got four stacked up, two rows of two each stacked up side by side. I was about ready to throw my Ooni out to the curb because I was so sick of it scorching the crusts on all my pizzas, but then I went with a hunch and tried that trick, and now I'm finally happy with the oven. Worked like a charm. But yeah, I thought the stones the Ooni came with totally sucked, so I started using a pizza steel, and that does the trick.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline sbash

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 04:31:55 PM »
Which kind or brand of bricks are you using?

Just the generic bricks from the hardware store (Canadian Tire). 

Offline sbash

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 04:33:15 PM »
I had the same idea and went with it, but I wasn't impressed with the results at all. But I do use firebricks for a flame shield in between the fuel chamber and baking chamber. I've got four stacked up, two rows of two each stacked up side by side. I was about ready to throw my Ooni out to the curb because I was so sick of it scorching the crusts on all my pizzas, but then I went with a hunch and tried that trick, and now I'm finally happy with the oven. Worked like a charm. But yeah, I thought the stones the Ooni came with totally sucked, so I started using a pizza steel, and that does the trick.

A flame shield is my next mod/task, I'll try stacking a couple bricks.  Is yours a Pro? 

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 11:34:18 PM »
A flame shield is my next mod/task, I'll try stacking a couple bricks.  Is yours a Pro?
Yes. I also tried a different setup today, with just two firebricks side by side, stood up widthwise and angled with just a tiny gap in between them. That cooked the top of the pizza just great, but I think it let too much heat in between the bricks, because the bottom of the pizza got pretty scorched, which has never happened this badly before with the other setup. But I was also using wood today, instead of my usual anthracite coal, and running at least a good hundred degrees higher, so that might have had something to do with it.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

wordpress