A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: For small business, ooni koda 16 or roccbox?  (Read 462 times)

Offline ToniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
For small business, ooni koda 16 or roccbox?
« on: September 18, 2021, 06:43:49 AM »
I was thinking about getting a small pizza oven for myself and family and now I'm thinking why not make small seasonal business out of it.

Roccbox is cheaper, uses less gas, retains heat better on the negative it is small with stone that cant be removed, preheat is longer? for personal use 40 mins is long to way for a bake.

Ooni koda is bigger, can be modified for auto rotating motor, it heats up super fast, 2 side baking is plus, can remove stone and put firebrick stone for 10Ä, on the negative spends more gas, loses more heat.

I've seen on youtube pizza business using roccbox but not ooni.

How much downtime is on ooni 16 between two pizzas?

I realize this post is all over the place and so is my thinking process.

I almost feel that if use motor and make round fire brick pizza stone in ooni that I could use one oven and just make pizza while one is baking taking out and lunch next one.

Offline ToniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: For small business, ooni koda 16 or roccbox?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
coming to the conclusion that koda 16 is probably better for home use but using 2 roccboxes is probably best for business, opening on koda 16 is way too big and is losing too much heat and using too much gas.

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
Have been researching the same thing since I want to try doing caterings after doing large neighborhood events for a year (30-50 pizzas/event). An article came out in my area on 10 trending pizza pop-ups in my area, and 3 of the 5 that sell Neapolitanish pizzas go with the dual roccbox setup. This goes along with all the other pop-ups I looked at on Youtube, Facebook, etc. Otherwise pop-ups/catering operations usually go with trailer wood fired ovens.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/your-key-to-seattles-secret-pizza-scene-10-nearby-pop-ups-plus-a-glossary-of-pizza-styles/

Iíve heard that the Koda 16 needs 3 or 4 min recovery? Apparently itís a bigger deal with the Ooni ovens
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline ToniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 10:27:28 AM »
I mean that skinny stone you can replace, I can buy proper stone for 10Ä but look at that huge opening and amount of heat you are losing if you are waiting for a customer and that burner on a side is cool if you are baking pizza for your self but if its for business it wastes gas and heating air that goes out.

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 10:44:18 AM »
I mean that skinny stone you can replace, I can buy proper stone for 10Ä but look at that huge opening and amount of heat you are losing if you are waiting for a customer and that burner on a side is cool if you are baking pizza for your self but if its for business it wastes gas and heating air that goes out.

Right, the Koda 16 also has a design flaw that the front is usually 75 to 100 C cooler than deeper in the oven, more so than other portable sttel ovens. It's not a problem if making for yourself but when combined with the needs for stone heat recovery in a pop-up it wouldn't be ideal
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »
I have a Koda 16 that I modified with a rotating stone.  This eliminates the temperature gradient issue.  Even better, the hands-free baking is a joy, and would be perfect for small business use. 

On the other hand, I think the recovery time for the Koda would be a serious issue.  I often make four to eight pizzas in a row for parties.  I do it all myself, so the oven recovers in the time it takes me to serve one and stretch and top the next pie.  Faster than this, you would need two ovens.

I would seriously consider a Carbon, since it has an upper and lower burner.  It ought to be usable in more of a continuous mode if you keep the lower burner cranked.  I hope a Carbon owner will weigh in, as I have no personal experience with it.     

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 01:49:25 AM »
Guess itís pretty established that Oonis arenít popular for small commercial functions. I have seen Ooni Pros and Fyras used by some businesses (based on online research) but those were more isolated cases than anything. The two Roccbox set-up seems to be dominant besides wood oven trailers.

Will be interesting to see if the Carbon catches on commercially as it gets more recognized
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 01:51:01 AM by Pandasbecats »
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste