A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Solid Wood Pizza Peels  (Read 357 times)

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
Solid Wood Pizza Peels
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »
Found this posting on Etsy, have been looking for a Peel like this for a long time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1024598764/cherry-pizza-peel-medium-length-30?ref=hp_rf-2&frs=1&sca=1

Does anyone have experience using solid wood pizza peels? Not like the cheaper glued ones usually around. Iím guessing warping might be a bigger issue? The Owner said he would restock on a longer handled version soon
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Solid Wood Pizza Peels
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »
Found this posting on Etsy, have been looking for a Peel like this for a long time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1024598764/cherry-pizza-peel-medium-length-30?ref=hp_rf-2&frs=1&sca=1

Does anyone have experience using solid wood pizza peels? Not like the cheaper glued ones usually around. Iím guessing warping might be a bigger issue? The Owner said he would restock on a longer handled version soon
Solid wood peels are quite common among serious pizza makers, and for good reason. They're very durable and don't have metal parts that can come undone from poor connections, and the surface is usually better than metal, at least for building pizzas on. Metal can stick to pizzas more easily, and it's easy to do serious damage to your kitchen cabinets and such if you're a little quick to move the peel around and that hard metal edge makes contact with something. That said, I believe strongly that wooden peel needs to have a little bit of grit on the surface, and shouldn't be overly smooth. It sounds counterintuitive, I know, but wood that's overly smooth actually tends to stick to dough more than wood that's a tiny bit rough, in my experience. The peel you posted likes very nice and all, and I can't say for sure just looking at the pictures of it online, but I'm guessing the real appeal of it is mostly aesthetic. Mine was a very cheap one (like less than $20, and not some POS made in China), and I've been hugely satisfied with it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with spending $70 on a peel like that if that's what you really want, but just bear in mind that spending more money doesn't always get you a tool that's really ideal for the job.
 At any rate, I would say that a solid wood peel is often a better investment than one made with metal. The only real advantage a metal peel has over a wooden peel is that it's slim enough to use to turn pizzas in the oven, where a wooden peel will be more difficult to use for that purpose if it's overly thick. That's my 2 cents' worth.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 01:32:33 AM »
Thanks for the very comprehensive answer  ;D Do you have a link to where you source your solid wood peels? Those were some of the reasons I switched to wood: the damage to appliances (oven) and sticking from metal peels.

I use an 11x11 inch wood American metalcraft peel right now. Itís not solid, just another glued wood one. Guessing there wasnít much difference in use but always liked the thought
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »
This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LPDNPO/?tag=pmak-20

I thought it was under $20 when I bought it, but I guess I might have been wrong about that.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 11:16:26 AM »
These are really nice peels and their customer service is outstanding!!!!!

https://www.thebakersboard.com/

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 11:33:09 AM »
FYI - a peel made of one piece of wood is more likely to split or warp than one made by gluing smaller pieces together.
It will most likely cost more since it has to be be made from one large piece of wood.
A peel made by gluing small pieces of wood together is is still considered "solid wood".

I see no benefit unless you are concerned with how it looks.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »
FYI - a peel made of one piece of wood is more likely to split or warp than one made by gluing smaller pieces together.
It will most likely cost more since it has to be be made from one large piece of wood.
A peel made by gluing small pieces of wood together is is still considered "solid wood".

I see no benefit unless you are concerned with how it looks.
Why would you think that? Couldn't any piece of a peel made with different small pieces of wood still warp or crack over time?

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 01:42:15 PM »
If you properly arrange the wood, each piece in the layout will be placed so the warp will be in a different direction and the overall effect is a tendency to not warp. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than a single piece of wood.

Ira

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 02:29:24 PM »
My favorite wooden peel is made by Winco.  It's extremely light, easy to maneuver and it's been durable.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 04:06:00 PM »
If you properly arrange the wood, each piece in the layout will be placed so the warp will be in a different direction and the overall effect is a tendency to not warp. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than a single piece of wood.

Ira
Like he says. ^^^
George

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:16 PM »

Ira

Exactly... 
Since trees are round, the rings are round.
When you glue the boards together, you look at the rings on the end of the board.
Place one board with rings curving up, next curved down, up, down...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:28:55 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

wordpress