A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza alla Romana  (Read 57061 times)

Online DoouBall

Re: Pizza alla Romana
« Reply #420 on: June 11, 2021, 11:56:24 PM »
Well, more trouble with pala/Teglia. No pictures of the Teglia, because they surprisingly ballooned up more... but both baked pretty similarly for the most part on the bottom (which I was not expecting with the pan.)

270g for roughly 33 x 16cm. This pala was dimpled pretty aggressively, lightly brushed with oil, then punctured in 8 places with the corner of a bench scraper - three on each side, then two in the center. Yet, still, some runaway pita-like bubbles. I donít even think this is thick enough to split for sandwiches. Baked at 550 for 10-ish minutes

Edit:
Would going thicker on pizza-bianca style doughs (used to split and fill like a sandwich) help address pita-like bubbling? (this still seems hardly thick enough to split, despite using the traditional thickness calculation.)

Would lowering the temp address this?

I've also had this issue a few times when making Pinsa Romana/Pizza in Pala. One of the most common causes is if you bake the pizza completely blind, forgetting to drizzle a good amount of olive oil on the top before the bake. With nothing to hold down the top layer of dough, you can often get massive bubbles. A second reason is the distribution of air during the dimpling - but I can't advise much as I haven't mastered this yet - that's the hardest part IMHO. My understanding is that you dimple the sides first and then go through the center and repeat 1-2 times. I've never had to puncture the dough with a bench scraper. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:58:19 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #421 on: June 12, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »
This was more of a wipe of oil across the top, evenly, and not a healthy drizzle.

Will try mostly tomato-topped pies next see if my structure looks okay or not.

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #422 on: June 12, 2021, 08:52:15 PM »
I was having a similar problem with the dough ballooning when I parbaked it. Iíve been using less tension when I ball the dough and Iíve been storing the balls in a dough container instead of a small container and I havenít had issues since. When I make sandwiches I usually just do it how people make pizza farcita and stretch out two doughs thin and cook them on top of each other
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:56:23 PM by pizapizza »

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #423 on: June 25, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
First test of P134HA  EVOLUTION!!!

100% Denti Zero+ w340
80% Hydros
0,7% fresh yeast
2,5% Salt
2% Evo
48h (43CF+5RT)

Usual dough without Semolina.  Baked with new (and Fantastic) Effeuno EVOLUTION

More photo and infos: https://www.0059.it/blog/2021/06/25/piccoli-forni-crescono/
official NEW site: www.0059.it

Facebook: www.facebook.com/0059StefanoCiccarelli
Instagram:  sc0059

Online DoouBall

« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »
Great results Stefano!

What are your thoughts about P134H 509C vs P134HA 509C for making only pizza (Napoletana, Canotto, Pinsa, Teglia) and not bread? Would the P134H be better or they are equivalent? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:11:02 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2021, 02:07:04 AM »
Great results Stefano!

What are your thoughts about P134H 509C vs P134HA 509C for making only pizza (Napoletana, Canotto, Pinsa, Teglia) and not bread? Would the P134H be better or they are equivalent? Thanks!
Thanks Doouball. These two models works similar but model H is best builded for pizza while HA is a complete oven for bread and Pizza making.Just a matter of necessity
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:03:43 PM by Antilife »

Online DoouBall

« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2021, 11:40:58 AM »
Thanks Doouball. These two models works similar with but model H is best buildef for pizza while HA is a complete oven for bread and Pizza making.Just a matter of necessity

Thanks!
Alex

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2021, 04:18:33 AM »
Great results Stefano!

There are new models now, but AFAIK, the only difference is that the HA is taller. The most important pizza related implication is that it may not be able to bake a neapolitan as fast as the H due to the upper element being higher above the stone. That might be remedied by lifting the stone, but that also increase the distance from the bottom element to the stone. Most P134H users in here turn down the bottom element after it has warmed up, to a point where the bottom element is pretty much turned off, so that may not make much of a difference to the heat in the stone. After the oven is hot, the upper element is what's heating the stone. Other pizza styles are of course also baked both top and bottom, but with longer time in the oven it is easier to find a method that works and rely more on ambient heat than direct heat from the upper element. That said, with the raised upper element in the HA and no rails to easily adjust the height of the stone and pizza, it may take more experimentation to find the correct balance. Unless one use some kind of metal insert to lift it closer to the upper element if needed.

Bottom line is that if someone is considering one of these for pizza, it's a no brainer to choose the P134H. Someone wanting one for multiple applications, including bread baking, the HA might be a better choice. With some metal arrangement to raise the stone, I think it can make a neapolitan pretty similar to the P134H.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 04:21:21 AM by Heikjo »
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Online DoouBall

« Reply #428 on: June 28, 2021, 03:37:24 PM »
There are new models now, but AFAIK, the only difference is that the HA is taller. The most important pizza related implication is that it may not be able to bake a neapolitan as fast as the H due to the upper element being higher above the stone. That might be remedied by lifting the stone, but that also increase the distance from the bottom element to the stone. Most P134H users in here turn down the bottom element after it has warmed up, to a point where the bottom element is pretty much turned off, so that may not make much of a difference to the heat in the stone. After the oven is hot, the upper element is what's heating the stone. Other pizza styles are of course also baked both top and bottom, but with longer time in the oven it is easier to find a method that works and rely more on ambient heat than direct heat from the upper element. That said, with the raised upper element in the HA and no rails to easily adjust the height of the stone and pizza, it may take more experimentation to find the correct balance. Unless one use some kind of metal insert to lift it closer to the upper element if needed.

Bottom line is that if someone is considering one of these for pizza, it's a no brainer to choose the P134H. Someone wanting one for multiple applications, including bread baking, the HA might be a better choice. With some metal arrangement to raise the stone, I think it can make a neapolitan pretty similar to the P134H.

Thanks that was a very well thought out explanation. I appreciate it Heikjo!
Alex

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »
I recently tried making a Taglio pizza. I am pretty happy with the results, but I wish to have a more open and hokey crumb structure next time. Any advice? This pizza was 80% hydration, .06% dry yeast, 100% King Arthur bread flour, 2.5% salt, and 1% sugar. I let this bulk for 24 hours and coil folded every hour for the first 8 hours. Baked at 480 F for 15 minutes.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2021, 08:24:35 PM »
Perfect...as always  ;D

You make this style look so much easier than it is...

First test of P134HA  EVOLUTION!!!

100% Denti Zero+ w340
80% Hydros
0,7% fresh yeast
2,5% Salt
2% Evo
48h (43CF+5RT)

Usual dough without Semolina.  Baked with new (and Fantastic) Effeuno EVOLUTION

More photo and infos: https://www.0059.it/blog/2021/06/25/piccoli-forni-crescono/
official NEW site: www.0059.it

Facebook: www.facebook.com/0059StefanoCiccarelli
Instagram:  sc0059

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2021, 07:09:08 AM »
I recently tried making a Taglio pizza. I am pretty happy with the results, but I wish to have a more open and hokey crumb structure next time. Any advice? This pizza was 80% hydration, .06% dry yeast, 100% King Arthur bread flour, 2.5% salt, and 1% sugar. I let this bulk for 24 hours and coil folded every hour for the first 8 hours. Baked at 480 F for 15 minutes.
Pizzaman remove sugar and add 10% Semola in mix. Semola is really important to give more strenght and structure to dough

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2021, 07:17:35 AM »
Thanks Hotsawce
Perfect...as always  ;D

You make this style look so much easier than it is...

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #433 on: September 20, 2021, 05:39:12 PM »
Hey All!

Hope everyone is doing well. I just returned from a trip to Rome and did a week at the Pinsa School working on Teglia and Pala - - highly recommended , Bianca below

Question for the group - has anyone used the Breville Pizzaiolo for Teglia or Pala? I am searching for a home deck oven and am hesitant to purchase based off the small opening for loading the pizza in. Trying to find a US alternative to the EffeUno

Thanks everyone!

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #434 on: September 20, 2021, 07:19:12 PM »
....Question for the group - has anyone used the Breville Pizzaiolo for Teglia or Pala? I am searching for a home deck oven and am hesitant to purchase based off the small opening for loading the pizza in. Trying to find a US alternative to the EffeUno

Here is a link to a list of threads on the Breville (thanks to Bill/SFNM):

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=62536.msg619856#msg619856

The opening is large enough to fit the size of pizza the oven can hold.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 07:39:13 PM by parallei »

wordpress