A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Zio Ciro Oven Curing  (Read 393 times)

Offline ilya_n

Zio Ciro Oven Curing
« on: October 03, 2021, 04:12:40 PM »
Hey everyone,

I pulled the trigger on the zio ciro subito cotto 80 with gas and was wondering what the most gentle curing process is.

I read somewhere that a propane burner does a descent job since it keeps lower temp. Options are:

1. Propane burner. Here are a couple of examples:

Concord 6" Diameter High Pressure Burner Head with Brass Orifice and Build in Stand (Burner Head with Regulator Hose) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VKCXY1B/?tag=pmak-20

MENSI 10 Jets Homemade Cast Iron Burner Assembly Flame Control System 41000 BTU with High Pressure Regulator with Hose DIY Forge Pizza Oven Turkey Fryer Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0838YX4KX/?tag=pmak-20

2. Ovenís gas burner (Iíll use natural gas) on small setting

3. Small to larger wood fire - make me nervous the most.

Whatís your take on this and any recommendation?

Thanks,
Ilya

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Zio Ciro Oven Curing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 04:21:35 PM »
Follow manufacturer recommendations. They have directions. If something goes wrong you want to be sure it is covered.

Offline ilya_n

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 05:15:08 PM »
Follow manufacturer recommendations. They have directions. If something goes wrong you want to be sure it is covered.

Makes absolute sense- thank you.

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
Zio Ciro Oven Curing
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 09:21:29 PM »
Yes follow the instructions. Though from my experience the curing of the Mini took several days, instruction said ist good after a few  hours. So gotta be careful not to go too fast.
What Iíve seen is curing the big 80 oven for 5-7d is normal.
What you ca do use the stand by flame (very small)

it gets your oven to 100-150c maybe. You should do that for couple of days (let it run all day) It will start sweating after a 3-4 hours and then let it keep
Sweating, Donít turn up the heat now! It will crack if it gets too hot too fast.
Then after 2-3 days if it doesnít sweat that much anymore use the real small flame for a few hours on and off to get the oven to 200-300c. I would do that for another day or 2. If it still sweats a lot keep going with small flame, itís not dry yet and not ready to go. The oven Can easily lose 1-2l of water since itís not precured.
Then if you feel after 4-5d no more sweating you can turn it up full speed for 1 hour on and off and see how the oven handles it. if no more sweating occurs I think itís good to go and you can start baking. Low and slow is the secret.
Als make sure you got a good cover when you donít bake or keep it under a roof, itís a bit sensitive to wet weather and should not get wet once cured properly.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 10:22:52 PM by Elchimi »

Offline ilya_n

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 07:19:30 AM »
Yes follow the instructions. Though from my experience the curing of the Mini took several days, instruction said ist good after a few  hours. So gotta be careful not to go too fast.
What Iíve seen is curing the big 80 oven for 5-7d is normal.
What you ca do use the stand by flame (very small)

it gets your oven to 100-150c maybe. You should do that for couple of days (let it run all day) It will start sweating after a 3-4 hours and then let it keep
Sweating, Donít turn up the heat now! It will crack if it gets too hot too fast.
Then after 2-3 days if it doesnít sweat that much anymore use the real small flame for a few hours on and off to get the oven to 200-300c. I would do that for another day or 2. If it still sweats a lot keep going with small flame, itís not dry yet and not ready to go. The oven Can easily lose 1-2l of water since itís not precured.
Then if you feel after 4-5d no more sweating you can turn it up full speed for 1 hour on and off and see how the oven handles it. if no more sweating occurs I think itís good to go and you can start baking. Low and slow is the secret.
Als make sure you got a good cover when you donít bake or keep it under a roof, itís a bit sensitive to wet weather and should not get wet once cured properly.

Thank you very much. Extremely useful. Sounds like the pilot light is powerful enough for the first set of cures. Is that ok to use it though since most heat will be sent to the same spot on the dome? Thatís why I was thinking about a propane burner so it sits in the middle and doesnít really reach the dome ceiling directly.

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 08:14:24 AM »
If you have a propane burner on low thatís do the job as well, and you are right the heating will be more even if you place it in the middle. The dome/oven wonít get too hot with the pilot light if I remember correctly.

Offline ilya_n

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 08:35:51 AM »
If you have a propane burner on low thatís do the job as well, and you are right the heating will be more even if you place it in the middle. The dome/oven wonít get too hot with the pilot light if I remember correctly.

Great - thank you. Very excited to get this new oven to replace the current one. Should be quite an improvement from what I can see...

Offline ilya_n

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 07:39:04 PM »
After quite a few days of curing I finally got to use it for the first time. Using my 14Ē square peel with wood fire is not the easiest but still enough space. Surprisingly the oven didnít sweat that much at all.

I want to give huge props to Manuel at Zio Ciro for being there every step of the way. Not only sale but answering post sale questions as well. He helped answering my concerns of no sweating. Apparently when you see white sediment underneath the oven, this is caused by sweating. I guess my oven just didnít have that much water accumulationÖ

My curing schedule was:

Day 1: 150įC with portable gas burner
Day 2: 200įC with portable gas burner
Day 3: 250į with portable gas burner
Day 4: 300į with portable gas burner
Left on vacation for 6 days
Day 5: 350į with portable gas burner
Day 6: 350į with portable gas burner
Day 7, 8, 9: 400į with portable gas burner

Every day of curing was 6-8 hours with raising the temps very gradually. The last 2-3 days I would have a wood fire in the oven and keeping very balanced temp throughout the oven with the door.

So far Iím very impressed with the oven and its heat retention.

Some pics of tonightís quick same day pizzas and my burner at work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:20:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 06:51:17 AM »
Nice looking set up,  glad you enjoy your oven.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Ooni Koda 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact,
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

wordpress