A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: DSP cheese - Brick, Muenster, Mozzarella  (Read 191 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

DSP cheese - Brick, Muenster, Mozzarella
« on: October 05, 2021, 12:25:17 AM »
Iíve made lots of DSP but usually adapting Chicago pan dough for the purpose.  I wanted to get more involved in this style and wondering about the brick.  I hear DSP is all brick, then others stating brick and mozzarella and in case of no availability of brick use Muenster.

What seems to be the standard or is this a depends answer - depends on the pizzeria?

I bought brick from a Wisconsin dairy and tried a melt test on it, has a very nice melt but it took 16 minutes to brown at 450 which compared to mozzarella is significantly longer to browning.  Iím wondering if this is what you are seeing as well?

Do you mix brick and mozzarella and what might be the ratios you use and why mix these?

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: DSP cheese - Brick, Muenster, Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 12:56:43 AM »
Iíve made lots of DSP but usually adapting Chicago pan dough for the purpose.  I wanted to get more involved in this style and wondering about the brick.  I hear DSP is all brick, then others stating brick and mozzarella and in case of no availability of brick use Muenster.

What seems to be the standard or is this a depends answer - depends on the pizzeria?

I bought brick from a Wisconsin dairy and tried a melt test on it, has a very nice melt but it took 16 minutes to brown at 450 which compared to mozzarella is significantly longer to browning.  Iím wondering if this is what you are seeing as well?

Do you mix brick and mozzarella and what might be the ratios you use and why mix these?
Where I work, we don't do DSP, but we use LMPS mozz and brick in a 60/40 ratio. We bake at 550 degrees in an electric oven, with thin(ish) pizzas, and we get good browning at 6 or 7 minutes.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Oldschoolpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: DSP cheese - Brick, Muenster, Mozzarella
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »
I have used brick and muenster cheese, I typically do  75/25 Mozz/brick or muenster very small cubes or shredded and it seems to give me exactly what I am looking for, I know some folks mix a small amount of white cheddar in as well, not sure if this done commercially.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T