A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: High gluten flour in Australia  (Read 729 times)

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: High gluten flour in Australia
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 03:53:08 AM »
Interesting article!

It states that protein content is calculated against an 11% moisture content, so closer to the US than the EU standard.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline OzPizza

• NY Slice lover living Down Under!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »
Interesting article!

It states that protein content is calculated against an 11% moisture content, so closer to the US than the EU standard.

Yes indeed. So yeah Aus flour has more in common than not.
OG NY Slice lover since the 80's. Still living in the hope of buying a decent NY Slice in Oz some day!

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 01:06:47 PM »
I just wanted to point out that one has to be careful when comparing even something simple like protein content, as there are so many different standards around the world.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »
Yep no worries there. Fortunately, I've had the personal experience here in Australia to have been able to directly compare flours and the resulting pizzas over many years now. Sounds like there are more potential issues for folks in the EU as there are with many things these days in general  ;)
OG NY Slice lover since the 80's. Still living in the hope of buying a decent NY Slice in Oz some day!

Offline Lewdannie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2021, 01:13:43 AM »
Hi,

I'm in BrisVegas and have used Caputo Manitoba with some success for New York.

The specs say it has 14.5% protein
Apologies if you know this

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2021, 01:52:54 AM »
Hi,

I'm in BrisVegas and have used Caputo Manitoba with some success for New York.

The specs say it has 14.5% protein
Apologies if you know this

Yeah that's really interesting to see Caputo making essentially an Italian made 'American Style' bread flour -which I notice even the package nods to with the stars and stripes design. I've got to admit I've never stumbled into it in any of the Italian grocer/delis I've been to here in Aus before and I always pay attention to the Caputo range of flours just out of interest. With the 14.5% claim, that's one where I'd definitely take stock of what @amolapizza said in reference to EU classifications. Still even if it's off a little compared to US protein measurements, it comes across like a serious contender otherwise. Personally, it's ironic to see a product like this when I'm about to take things down a little via the Manildra Protein Enriched Flour 13.3% to see how this much spoken about scenario of most NY Pizza joints really only using flour at around those levels and Scott123's recommended flour's protein %'s. If the results are good, I will have a easily available top quality source of flour.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:57:00 AM by OzPizza »

wordpress