A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: L'industrie  (Read 548 times)

Offline calum4

• I Love Pizza!
L'industrie
« on: October 20, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to the dough recipe for L'industrie in Brooklyn?

It's one of my favourite pizzerias in NY but unfortunately living in Scotland I don't get there all that often!

I've been watching all the changes at L'industrie over the COVID period on Instagram and I'm desperate for some of their pizza.  As I can't get there just now, reverse engineering as the next best thing!

Anyone any ideas?  Hydration, flour type/blend, sauce recipe etc?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: L'industrie
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 04:42:10 PM »
Everything has changed since my one visit there. They've gotten bigger and I think switched to a pizza master oven. I don't remember all the details since I listened a while ago, but Massimo Laviglia was interview on the Pizza City podcast. I think they talked about the dough evolution. Might be a good place to start. It is the 2/28/20 episode. Here's a link or you could probably download it from any podcast app.

https://pizzacityusa.com/podcasts/massimo-laviglia-from-lindustrie-in-brooklyn/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:10:08 AM »
I love that pizzeria as well!   I would say for sure he is using a biga (I have seen them taking biga out of their small spiral mixer as recently as five months ago.  Its a fairly wet dough.  At one point I knew the flour, but I forget now.... almost positive it was Italian and could have been Petra (but I might be remembering wrong). It wouldnt surprise me if he uses a different flour for biga than the mix.  At one point he was using la fiammante tomatoes.  As of a few months ago that was for sure one of the best pizzas in NY.  The proximity to scarrs makes for a great visit to both spots.   Its really nice to see people making NY style pizza different than it has been made for all these years.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:15:19 AM by scott r »

Offline calum4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »
Didnít realise theyíve been on pizza city. Will definitely give that a listen!

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 11:53:07 AM »
I love that pizzeria as well!   I would say for sure he is using a biga (I have seen them taking biga out of their small spiral mixer as recently as five months ago.  Its a fairly wet dough.  At one point I knew the flour, but I forget now.... almost positive it was Italian and could have been Petra (but I might be remembering wrong). It wouldnt surprise me if he uses a different flour for biga than the mix.  At one point he was using la fiammante tomatoes.  As of a few months ago that was for sure one of the best pizzas in NY.  The proximity to scarrs makes for a great visit to both spots.   Its really nice to see people making NY style pizza different than it has been made for all these years.

Itís actually a Poolish for their pizza dough, and Biga for their sandwich bread!

Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes and grande whole milk mozz.

Offline Chronic mole

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 04:12:58 PM »
From the pics I believe they use high hydration as well? Perhaps in the 70% range. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Offline jsobolew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 09:17:22 PM »
I popped in here last time I was in NYC just because it was nearby and a few people recommended it. I got a burrata slice and a white slice. It became one of my favorite spots in all of NYC. Just perfect slices all around. There was definitely something special about the dough the most other places didn't have, very flavorful and great texture.

Offline calum4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 05:34:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Iíll have to give poolish a try. Never tried doing poolish or biga before.

Will probably also try about 67% hydration. Iím in the UK so donít have All Trumps, Grande or Bianco DiNapoli so itíll be Caputo Americana, Galbani and Mutti San Marzanos!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 12:47:39 AM »
Massimo was using Petra last I checked. I think there was also some t85 or something in the mix as well. I believe the pizza dough is mixed in his diving arm mixer. Additionally, it was a brief (few hours) room temp bulk then balls overnight. 620 to 630 ish oven temp, 5:30 on the bake. 1.5 min slice reheat if you do slices there.

Hydration doesn't tell the full story - different flours handle water differently.... and they change their dough almost weekly. I'd probably start at 67% with your average bread flour and top out at 70%.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Iíll have to give poolish a try. Never tried doing poolish or biga before.

Will probably also try about 67% hydration. Iím in the UK so donít have All Trumps, Grande or Bianco DiNapoli so itíll be Caputo Americana, Galbani and Mutti San Marzanos!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 12:49:22 AM by hotsawce »