A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 492828 times)

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #2380 on: December 21, 2018, 08:51:13 PM »
Spectacular Mike - well done and happy holidays!!!!!!!

Thanks, buddy! And the same to you and yours!
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2381 on: December 21, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
Good that you know the limit.
 Unfortunately it's not possible to do a  "cool[65*f]" fermented dough in a restaurant setting because there's no way to hold the dough at 65*f for 24 hours.
Proofing/holding cabinets are to warm, refrigerated holding cabinet are too cool unless you rig it to run at a specific temp, and lastly a third fridge set to 65*f for is a fantasy.

The rt fermenteed dough lasted 7 days in the fridge with good performance, some say it could go further.

Uhm,...I'm not sure I'm following you here. Where did I say it was a 65įF "cool" fermentation?

I hardly ever do a RT fermentation, unless it's for s#$*s and giggles.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2382 on: December 22, 2018, 01:24:21 AM »
Not sure what it is about it, but for my preferences that's my favorite of your recent pies

Edit: I think its the juice!

^^^
John

Offline Josh123

« Reply #2383 on: December 22, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Not sure what it is about it, but for my preferences that's my favorite of your recent pies

Edit: I think its the juice!

Same. Its the most classic NY look out of all the pies in this thread.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2384 on: December 23, 2018, 12:13:23 AM »
Same. Its the most classic NY look out of all the pies in this thread.

Amazing! Thank you!  :chef:
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2385 on: December 27, 2018, 11:35:30 PM »
70% Hydro New York dough...

Mike

Online CaptBob

« Reply #2386 on: December 28, 2018, 12:30:13 AM »
Can't wait to see these!!!
Bob

Offline bobbysands

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2387 on: December 28, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »
Mike, pies look great!

Couple of things I've discovered that might be helpful to others on this thread, regarding the Bosch Universal Plus Mixer and the WPO-500 oven...

When making dough:
Add 100% of the water to the bosch bowl.
Add the yeast (I use IDY) and mix with dough hook for 1 minute
Add 1/2 the flour slowly over a couple of minutes little by little on speed 1

Shut mixer. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes

Turn mixer on speed 1 and add SALT by distributing all around the dough

Add remaining 1/2 of the flour over a 5 minute period... Again, little by little.

Mix an additional 7 minutes and turn machine off

Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.

Remove dough... cut... ball... into  lightly oiled (few drops) glad plastic bowls

Place dough in fridge but don't cover completely. Slide the cover off the top of the bowl about 1/2" or so.

After about an hour, cover tightly.

Let sit minimum 24hrs. Preferably 3 days!

Next. My NY style works perfectly at 550F. You need to play with the bottom heating element. I find that after the oven has been on a while and is level at 550F, Shutting the bottom element for 1.5 - 2 minutes out of a total of around 6 minutes works pretty good.

That said, this is NOT an exact science. You WILL develop a feel through osmosis  :)

I set the timer for 3 minutes, shut the bottom element after 1 minute. When the bell goes off I turn the bottom element back on then rotate the pie 180 and cook another 3 minutes during which I play with rotation to brown evenly.

You'll get the feel for when to raise the temp (for recovery) if making multiple pies.

I should note... I use the 2" California pizza stone (remove the one that comes with the wpo). The thing ROCKS!

So far I've put about 40 or 50 pizzas through that thing.

One other thing I've noticed. It's COLD even here in California. Room temp around 69. If the dough is used at that temp, I get bubbles everywhere. If however I use the oven light technique and warm the dough, it's perfect. I'm sure this will all depend on lots of other variables so your results may vary. Just a FWIW.

Happy New Year everyone!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:32:31 PM by bobbysands »

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2388 on: December 28, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
Mike, pies look great!

Couple of things I've discovered that might be helpful to others on this thread, regarding the Bosch Universal Plus Mixer and the WPO-500 oven...

When making dough:
Add 100% of the water to the bosch bowl.
Add the yeast (I use IDY) and mix with dough hook for 1 minute
Add 1/2 the flour slowly over a couple of minutes little by little on speed 1

Shut mixer. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes

Turn mixer on speed 1 and add SALT by distributing all around the dough

Add remaining 1/2 of the flour over a 5 minute period... Again, little by little.

Mix an additional 7 minutes and turn machine off

Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.

Remove dough... cut... ball... into  lightly oiled (few drops) glad plastic bowls

Place dough in fridge but don't cover completely. Slide the cover off the top of the bowl about 1/2" or so.

After about an hour, cover tightly.

Let sit minimum 24hrs. Preferably 3 days!

Next. My NY style works perfectly at 550F. You need to play with the bottom heating element. I find that after the oven has been on a while and is level at 550F, Shutting the bottom element for 1.5 - 2 minutes out of a total of around 6 minutes works pretty good.

That said, this is NOT an exact science. You WILL develop a feel through osmosis  :)

I set the timer for 3 minutes, shut the bottom element after 1 minute. When the bell goes off I turn the bottom element back on then rotate the pie 180 and cook another 3 minutes during which I play with rotation to brown evenly.

You'll get the feel for when to raise the temp (for recovery) if making multiple pies.

I should note... I use the 2" California pizza stone (remove the one that comes with the wpo). The thing ROCKS!

So far I've put about 40 or 50 pizzas through that thing.

One other thing I've noticed. It's COLD even here in California. Room temp around 69. If the dough is used at that temp, I get bubbles everywhere. If however I use the oven light technique and warm the dough, it's perfect. I'm sure this will all depend on lots of other variables so your results may vary. Just a FWIW.

Happy New Year everyone!

I use a cooling rack on top of the oven (left side) and place the dough container on the rack while the oven heats up. It brings the dough up to temp slowly but steady. I move the rack over to the other side after 30 mins or so.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2389 on: December 29, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
First pizza after only 24 hrs retardation. Turned out nice but definitely needs at least 24 hrs more.

18" White pie (Spinach, sage-infused Italian sausage, olives, combo of fresh and aged mozzarella)
Mike

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #2390 on: December 29, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »
Very nice Mike  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2391 on: December 29, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »
Very nice Mike  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thank you, buddy! I need to control myself a little bit, though, when it comes to toppings  ;D
Mike

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #2392 on: December 29, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
Looks great, Mike! :chef:    Love the toppings. That was a white pie correct?  No sauce?   

Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2393 on: December 29, 2018, 01:01:47 PM »
Looks great, Mike! :chef:    Love the toppings. That was a white pie correct?  No sauce?

Yes, no sauce. I forgot the feta at the end as well. Jesus... ;D
Mike

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #2394 on: December 29, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
beautiful! that's spinach? did you sautee it or is that the natural wilt you get from your oven?
jeff

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2395 on: December 29, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »
I was wondering that too Mike..mine tends to dry out or char...though I'm launching at 700 or above..That's a beautiful puie!

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2396 on: December 29, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »
beautiful! that's spinach? did you sautee it or is that the natural wilt you get from your oven?

QD & Bill,

Thank you.

That's fresh, unsauteed spinach. The oven draws quite a bit of moisture out of fresh veggies and you can see the steam coming out of the vent in the back.

Quite a sight, actually, especially with the cheese bubbling away.
Mike

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2397 on: December 29, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »
Great..and the feta sounds like a perfect addition

Online CaptBob

« Reply #2398 on: December 29, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »
Yes, no sauce. I forgot the feta at the end as well. Jesus... ;D

That's a beauty Mike!! I've found that the ingredients or toppings i forget are directly proportional to the amount of rum consumed during the making of said pizza!!😊
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2399 on: December 29, 2018, 06:04:33 PM »
Great..and the feta sounds like a perfect addition

Yeah, I know. But after three or four glasses of spiced wine, the order of toppings applied became a little blurred, if not completely forgotten!  ;D
Mike