A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 664059 times)

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2500 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:56 PM »
I tried the MJ formula. The dough was a little too soft and I kept over stretching it and thinning it out too much. Maybe more fridge time? Anyway, this is probably the best dough recipe Iíve ever made in a home oven. Family even commented that it smelled like a pizzeria in our house. I made 5 pies at 14Ē (250g). Each pie was slightly different cheese combos but they were all @ 100g. Everyone agreed that cheddar as the main cheese was the best. I used Great Lakes sharp white from Shop-rite. I need to work on time and temp to get more even coloring. But the mouth feel was amazing. The bottom had a crisp to it and the overall texture was soft and pillowy. With all that being said, I donít think this was a Mac n Manco Pizza. Maybe it was operator error. I really like this dough and will be using this formula exclusively so I will try to update as I go.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:54:22 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2501 on: July 10, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
I think Norma used that cheese at one time or another.   :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2502 on: July 10, 2020, 10:56:08 PM »
I think Norma used that cheese at one time or another.   :pizza:

Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct. I really want to try the Land O Lakes cheddar but I need to find a source for it.
Do you have any favorites you would suggest?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2503 on: July 10, 2020, 11:10:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct. I really want to try the Land O Lakes cheddar but I need to find a source for it.
Do you have any favorites you would suggest?
I'm sorry, it's Land o lakes, not great lakes that Norma used  maybe 
I have a new thread going where I found LOL mozz @ 6 bucks for 5lb bag at lidl grocery.  I use Cabot x sharp ny chedder with it..  25%
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2504 on: July 15, 2020, 05:28:31 PM »
I tried the MJ formula. The dough was a little too soft and I kept over stretching it and thinning it out too much. Maybe more fridge time? Anyway, this is probably the best dough recipe Iíve ever made in a home oven. Family even commented that it smelled like a pizzeria in our house. I made 5 pies at 14Ē (250g). Each pie was slightly different cheese combos but they were all @ 100g. Everyone agreed that cheddar as the main cheese was the best. I used Great Lakes sharp white from Shop-rite. I need to work on time and temp to get more even coloring. But the mouth feel was amazing. The bottom had a crisp to it and the overall texture was soft and pillowy. With all that being said, I donít think this was a Mac n Manco Pizza. Maybe it was operator error. I really like this dough and will be using this formula exclusively so I will try to update as I go.

Nice looking pie! 

I too am a fan of this Mac n Marco dough.  Always cooks up nice @ 480 degrees, the highest I dare take my oven...I did lower the IDY to .4% for convenience and it's hot here.  I make 500 grams, then shave off 160 gr for a same day calzone with a 2 hr RF.  The rest goes in the fridge for 24/48 hrs and I make a pie for the boys.  The dough in both cases is SO easy to work with and hand stretch.  I also really like the 2.6% salt and the lard, which fits my taste.

I'm also a fan of the Sharp Ched, and will give it a shot as the dominate cheese like you have done.  I also use the sauce he posted (8 grams oregano, 1 gram garlic and pepper per 24 oz).  I use 7/11 run through a mill to smooth it out, and the kids Love it

It is my go to for sameday and also a great for 24/48 CF.  Very versatile in my situation.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 05:34:19 PM by Slowhands1964 »

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2505 on: July 15, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »
Nice looking pie! 

I too am a fan of this Mac n Marco dough.  Always cooks up nice @ 480 degrees, the highest I dare take my oven...I did lower the IDY to .4% for convenience and it's hot here.  I make 500 grams, then shave off 160 gr for a same day calzone with a 2 hr RF.  The rest goes in the fridge for 24/48 hrs and I make a pie for the boys.  The dough in both cases is SO easy to work with and hand stretch.  I also really like the 2.6% salt and the lard, which fits my taste.

I'm also a fan of the Sharp Ched, and will give it a shot as the dominate cheese like you have done.  I also use the sauce he posted (8 grams oregano, 1 gram garlic and pepper per 24 oz).  I use 7/11 run through a mill to smooth it out, and the kids Love it

It is my go to for sameday and also a great for 24/48 CF.  Very versatile in my situation.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. What are some of the differences between ďsame dayĒ and letting it Sit for 24/48 ?

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2506 on: July 15, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
A little more flavor with the longer ferment

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2507 on: July 17, 2020, 10:22:53 PM »
Man I haven't been on the board in a long time. Joined 15 years ago. Damn.

Anyway, grew up spending summers at the Jersey Shore. Very familiar with Mack and Manco pizza, but I moved to California back in 2006. I saw this giant thread the other day and had to jump back on.

mjnern's recipe seemed like it was would be viable. I remember trying to copy famous pizza places that I really liked. The thing where I think MJ's spot on is the high yeast %. When we make stuff at home, we love the idea of long slow cold ferments, but if you see Manco's on a Thurs, Fri, Saturday night.... there is no space in their building to be pumping out the volume of pizzas they make, and have a multi day cold ferment. It's just not gonna happen. Their financial overhead is probably high, refrigeration is expensive, and the margin on a slice of pizza isn't' huge. It's a volume business which means, look for recipes that speak "profit margin".  This is gonna mean I doubt they do anything crazy or artistic. If this was lombardi's or grimaldi's, sure I believe that, but this is a 2-3 dollar slice and go joint. Think simple.

My guess is that they're pumping out dough almost constantly. They probably put their dough in trays on a speedrack and then cover the entire speed rack with a plastic bag while it proofs over a couple of hours. When one is gone, another is right behind it just about to finish proofing.

Anyway, I tried MJ's recipe tonight. I increased the yeast to 1.5% as it was gonna be 2.5 hours from dough to baking. I made 540g of dough, split into 270g balls to make a 11.5 inch pizza.  I used some leftover canned sauce with some oregano that I dehydrated from my garden and some other seasonings. The first pie was straight mozz, whereas the second one was 50/50 mozz+mild cheddar (I only had yellow so that's what I used).

This to me, tastes exactly the way I remember Mack and Manco's tasting from my teenage years. It's not high end, it's not fancy, but it's a good slice of pizza to grab on the go. 

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2508 on: July 31, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »
Man I haven't been on the board in a long time. Joined 15 years ago.

This to me, tastes exactly the way I remember Mack and Manco's tasting from my teenage years. It's not high end, it's not fancy, but it's a good slice of pizza to grab on the go.

Ghost, your pie looks great. I am having a hard time getting an even color on the top and bottom. Are you using a baking steel or a stone? What is your oven setup and procedure?

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2509 on: August 01, 2020, 05:36:59 AM »
Ghost, your pie looks great. I am having a hard time getting an even color on the top and bottom. Are you using a baking steel or a stone? What is your oven setup and procedure?

Nothing fancy. The oven I have goes up to 525 on convection bake. Which probably makes it cook more like a 550. I have a stone in the middle rack of the oven that I let heat up until my infrared laser thermometer says is about 500f+.

Thatís it!

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2510 on: August 05, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »
Nothing fancy. The oven I have goes up to 525 on convection bake. Which probably makes it cook more like a 550. I have a stone in the middle rack of the oven that I let heat up until my infrared laser thermometer says is about 500f+.

Thatís it!

Ghost,
Thanks for the info. I am also using a stone and convection, but I am at 550 deg so maybe I'm too high. I'll try at 525 this weekend. Thanks again for the info. I'll try to post some pics of my results. 

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #2511 on: September 10, 2020, 07:31:08 AM »
Land O'Lakes mild cheddar is the real deal!  I use it all the time..  It is easy to get in northeastern part PA.. It is also very affordable..  It's only like $2.50/lb.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2512 on: September 17, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
We are at the shore for a few days.  These at 2 slices of Mack's Pizza today.

Tomorrow evening 7-8 eastern time (don't know about other time zones) there is going to a virtual pizza party to try to have the most people eating pizza virtually.  Are going to try to have a Guiness World's record.  Scott Weiner is going to be the host and Hormel will give $10.00 for everyone that attends with a slice or pizza. Hormel will give up to $10,000.00 to Slice Out Hunger.  The virtual Pizza Party will be on Zoom.

I will be eating Mack's Pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2513 on: September 17, 2020, 08:36:24 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2514 on: September 17, 2020, 08:39:30 PM »
Virtual pizza party is free if you want to register.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2515 on: September 17, 2020, 08:43:42 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2516 on: September 20, 2020, 09:32:56 AM »
The Zoom virtual pizza party was interesting.  Sure don't know if they made a Guinness World Record but the whole thing taught me more about Zoom and trying to follow everything on how to upload a photo to the directed website was confusing.  I didn't have a paper and pencil on hand, so couldn't really write down the link where they were telling us to go to upload a photo.  I did ask a question on Zoom and people told me too keep on trying to upload my photo. Cell reception was also bad where I was.  Other people were also having problems uploading their photo's.  Finally got it done right before 8 pm.  :-.  It was really windy and cooler in Wildwood Friday night so my hair was wind blown, and had caught my hand in my dogs leash so my right hand was partly black and blue.   :-D

At least new lessons learned. :)

Norma
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:38:39 AM by norma427 »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2517 on: September 20, 2020, 10:06:51 AM »
Iím a day late here
Iím in Margate, (with my Breville)and would have met you at Macs for pizza day
On my to-do list, now that the crowds thinned out.

Perry

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2518 on: September 20, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
Iím a day late here
Iím in Margate, (with my Breville)and would have met you at Macs for pizza day
On my to-do list, now that the crowds thinned out.

Perry

Man, I miss South End Pizza (used to have a summer place in Longport).  And then Dino's for cheesesteaks. Yum. Nothing makes a better sub than AC sub rolls from Rando and Formicas.  Those sub rolls might be the next thing I try and clone.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2519 on: September 20, 2020, 02:08:13 PM »
Man, I miss South End Pizza (used to have a summer place in Longport).  And then Dino's for cheesesteaks. Yum. Nothing makes a better sub than AC sub rolls from Rando and Formicas.  Those sub rolls might be the next thing I try and clone.

Uh, I love just about everything here, but the hoagies from Dinoís are best suited fir clubbing baby seals.
I think Formica must be mob owned, because no one should use those  😀

There are some really great bakeries though..

Liscio has a hotdog Roll, not a bun, that has the perfect bite for a good dog, or a sausage with broccoli rabe from Caselís.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:45:54 PM by pizzaboyfan »

wordpress