A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Screen later not earlier?  (Read 373 times)

Offline NYnewbie

• I Love Pizza!
Screen later not earlier?
« on: June 13, 2022, 11:21:08 PM »
My issue cooking in a coal/fire oven has been that the crust finishes well before the top finishes. Besides lower temps, one recommendation I got was to cook the bottom crust to near perfection then slide a screen underneath. When I came to this forum to find people doing this, I mostly find people trying (and struggling) to start off on the screen then remove it.

What are people's thoughts on using the screen to "pause" the bottom cooking once it's almost done and letting the rest catch up?

Offline Swinger-mike

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Screen later not earlier?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 12:15:51 AM »
Thats exactly the way to go and is done that way in many places like Joes for example.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 10:48:27 AM »
Vito’s pizza in West Los Angeles does that, albeit with deck ovens
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 07:26:59 PM »
Definitely go for it. I agree it's not very common here at all, mainly because people don't have super hot baking surfaces. Probably the most common reason that people here use screens is to bake a pizza that's a bit larger than the stone.

Matt

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 08:24:45 PM »
I do it in every Blackstone bake..after about 1:30 to 2 mins, screen in till end of bake. Then out with big cheap pliers.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 11:48:04 PM »
For 2 styles, I start the bake on a screen (on tile) and finish on tile. It helps me reach the size and shape I want as the screen tends to lightly grab and hold. It eliminates any flour or any other product on the peel, and I like the screen lightly stamped into the dough. I pull it after 5 min at 550 then go 4-5 more directly on the tile.

For commercial places I can understand why they would prefer screening at the end instead of the beginning of the bake.
-Tony

wordpress