A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My nyc style pies  (Read 671 times)

Offline Jdsfunnelcake

• I Love Pizza!
My nyc style pies
« on: June 17, 2022, 08:37:02 PM »
First post but wanted to share my cook:

Dough:
Enough for 2 540g balls which stretched to about 16in for me
667g all trumps b/b
387g tepid water (58% hydration)
2.7g ADY
27g (or 4%) diamond crystal kosher

Mixed in kitchenaid with a 30 minute autolyse, then added the salt. Bulk fermented in the fridge 18hrs at 1degree C (colder than Iíd like but yknow other stuff was in there tooÖ) no real time target though just happened to be when i got it outta the fridge!

Split/shaped into 2 balls then put on a flowered sheet pan, covered with cling wrap and a towel to cover from sun and put it outside on the deck since it was 70 and sunny today until i stretched em out around 4hrs later.

Sauce:
1 28oz can bianco di napoli crushed
Couple shakes of oregano, 2 cloves garlic pressed and half a can of water to thin it out. Threw into the vitamix until smooth.

Cheese:
Grande east coast shredded blend, bought today from Gordonís food supply.

The cook:
Ooni karu 16 multifuel oven. Used the gas today. This is great for quick and hot neopolitans but i think a bit trickier for ny style. So i preheated for 30 mins until the deck was around 715. Turned off the gas then launched. After launching temp got down to around 620 or so then continued to slowly fall until i think 550 after about 3 minutes on the stone. Rotated, let run another minute then turned gas back on to brown the top/melt. Pulled the first pie after 5.5 minutes.

Second pie was launched cooler at about 600, same strategy as above but cooked a bit longer and cooler in the low 500 range for about 7 mins.

Pretty pleased with how they turned out, could have used more top crust color and a better, more fresh/tomato-y/brighter sauce.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:35:39 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: My nyc style pies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 02:23:57 PM »
Looks good. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.
-Tony

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 02:37:32 PM »
Pretty pleased with how they turned out, could have used more top crust color and a better, more fresh/tomato-y/brighter sauce.

Do you use Bianco DiNapoli a lot? The last few cans I opened seemed to be quite a bit less flavorful than Iím used to. Wonder if theyíre having issues.

Went back to Stanislaus. Freezing is sort of a pain, but the consistency is worth it, IMO.

Pizza looks great! Hard style to nail in the Ooni with the flame and floor idiosyncrasies.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 02:51:09 PM »
Funny that you add water to Bianco crushed and I let it drain to remove water.

Offline Jdsfunnelcake

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 03:26:57 PM »
Do you use Bianco DiNapoli a lot? The last few cans I opened seemed to be quite a bit less flavorful than Iím used to. Wonder if theyíre having issues.

Went back to Stanislaus. Freezing is sort of a pain, but the consistency is worth it, IMO.

Pizza looks great! Hard style to nail in the Ooni with the flame and floor idiosyncrasies.

Honestly still trying to find the right recipe but The bon appetit making perfect series and general sentiment on bianco seemed strong, plus i can get them at whole foods right by me. Also tried sclafani which I think were decent, but you know, still chasing that dragon of perfect sauce!

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 11:49:45 PM »
Honestly still trying to find the right recipe but The bon appetit making perfect series and general sentiment on bianco seemed strong, plus i can get them at whole foods right by me. Also tried sclafani which I think were decent, but you know, still chasing that dragon of perfect sauce!

Both are really great options. Have you tried milling the tomatoes down instead of adding water?

Offline Jdsfunnelcake

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 12:03:25 PM »
Both are really great options. Have you tried milling the tomatoes down instead of adding water?

I think thats what Iím going to do next time - get whole tomatoes not crushed and take the immersion blender to them. Also saw something last night that scarrís in nyc uses the organic bianco dinapoli canned sauce that he adds some stuff to. May also try that!

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 12:49:34 PM »
I think thats what Iím going to do next time - get whole tomatoes not crushed and take the immersion blender to them. Also saw something last night that scarrís in nyc uses the organic bianco dinapoli canned sauce that he adds some stuff to. May also try that!

Interesting. Iíve used Bianco DiNapoli sauce for pasta, and I can find it at retail in standard glass sauce jars, but I didnít know they sold wholesale or that anyone was using it for pizza.

It does look like they offer a #10 can wholesale.

From their site:
ďOrganic Sauce 105 oz can:  A simple sauce celebrating California Agriculture. Peeled and chopped tomatoes are blended with organically produced EVOO, garlic and basil, then topped with a rich puree and pinch of Pacific sea salt.  Designed to stand alone or as a base for additional seasoning.Ē

Offline allweezy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 12:58:58 AM »

I have been using Bianco tomatoes religiously for 3-4 years, and the 2 six-packs I've bought this year were really underwhelming, compared to what I had come to expect from them. They still tasted amazing of course and when it comes to marinara or tomato soup they are among the best tomatoes I have tried, but yes I have noticed that they seem to have gone down a bit. I'm not sure how to describe it but I think the individual tomatoes seemed to be... bigger? And as a result a bit less intense. I thought maybe I got a bad batch the first time but it happened twice. I wonder if something went wrong with their operation due to covid. Here's hoping that it was simply a bad year and the tomatoes picked this summer will be back to normal.

wordpress