A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough proofing, resting and dough ball questions  (Read 480 times)

Offline Silverbullet07

• I Love Pizza!
Dough proofing, resting and dough ball questions
« on: May 21, 2022, 11:11:59 AM »
Iím new to the forum and joined because I have a few questions that have been on my mind about what I am experiencing with my dough.

I have been testing a poolish dough 70% hydration with the below detail and ingredients.

Pizza Style: Neapolitan
Dough Balls: 1
Ball Weight: 310 g
Water: 70%
Salt: 3%
RT leavening: 3 h
RT: 72įF
CT leavening: 24 h
CT: 40įF
Poolish leav.: 24 h
Poolish flour: 50%

-------------------------

Poolish doses
Flour: 90 g
Water:90 g
ADY: 0.35g

Main dough doses
Flour: 90 g
Water: 36 g
Salt: 5.4 g

I mix up the poolish including all the yeast and let it sit at room temperature for an hour and then place in fridge for 24 hours. The fridge is 39-40 F. After 16-24 hours, I add the water to the poolish melting it in and mix in salt and the flour. I then knead well for 10 min or so until smooth. I then cover and rest 15 min. I then knead for 3-4 min, slap and fold, and pull to a nice ball. Rest for 15 min and then finish with a few slap and folds and then pull into nice tight ball and place in a air tight lightly oiled 2qt round Cambro for 24 hours.

Questions:

When I remove it and let sit at room temperature for 3 hours, the dough is nice and airy. The dough temperature is about 73-74 F at this time based on my room temp. When I place the dough on counter with flour, I can push the air to the edges. However the dough is so soft and fluid that it just stretches too easy and to easy to stretch on it own when I pick up to dust away the flour. Impossible for me to keep it stretching too much and getting a hole in the bottom.

Is this 3 hours or 73 F just to long? Should I be push for a cooler stretching temp around 68-69 or resting 90-120 minutes?

What I have been doing is letting the dough sit for an hour outside of fridge and then do a few slap and folds and pull into a nice tight ball again and then two hours later the dough is nice to stretch and do not have the issue like above and works perfect.

Is it proper to re-ball the dough after 24 hours cold fermentation like this? Or should I just try lowering the time out side the fridge? Should I be looking at a temperature of the dough when stretching instead of time?

Should we always re-ball dough for any cold proofing longer then 24 hours before stretching for pizza?

Another question I have is air tight containers for cold proofing. Iíve read in some forums that air tight containers does not allow gas to escape and causes dough to overproof. Is this correct? Do I need to put a little pin hole in the lid?

Iím sure more will come up after I read your input. Thanks for helping.

Offline Silverbullet07

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough proofing, resting and dough ball questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 06:56:51 PM »
 ??

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
Silverbullet07,

You may find these two posts by the late Tom Lehmann of help in addressing the issues you raised:

Reply 19 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17165.msg647884#msg647884

Reply 2 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58978.msg591668#msg591668

There should not be a need to reball doughs if they are in the temperature range noted by Tom.

With respect to having a hole in a lid, I have done that in my own case, just to be on the safe side. I found that using a lot of yeast could blow off the lid but I rarely used a lot of yeast so I did not have a problem.

Peter

Offline Silverbullet07

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 09:01:20 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the tip. Iíll give it a try tomorrow.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T