A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: General Mills DiPrim'ordine 00 Flour  (Read 1008 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Re: General Mills DiPrim'ordine 00 Flour
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 03:27:29 PM »
You will see a slight increase in browning with non diastatic malt.  It can be used in much higher quantities because of this, allowing the flavor to come through in the final product.  At the levels needed to increase browning you will also taste a sweetness with non diastatic malt that you wont detect with diastatic malt.

Used at the same levels you will see a very substantial increase in browning in the diastatic malt vs the non diastatic malt doughs.   

Wow, thanks for this!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 03:28:56 PM »
So now I'm confused.
9slicePie,

Non-diastatic malt products can be in a powder form, as well as liquid. You can see some examples of Nondiastatic Sweet Flours Options as sold by Briess by clicking on the Nondiastatic Sweet Flours link at:

https://food.briess.com/products/briess-specialty-malt-flours/

Peter

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2022, 03:37:12 PM »
9slicePie,

Non-diastatic malt products can be in a powder form, as well as liquid. You can see some examples of Nondiastatic Sweet Flours Options as sold by Briess by clicking on the Nondiastatic Sweet Flours link at:

https://food.briess.com/products/briess-specialty-malt-flours/

Peter

Thanks.   

So, based on what scott r posted, it looks like I should be going for the DIASTATIC malt for browning of NY-style dough in home oven.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2022, 04:05:19 PM »
Thanks.   

So, based on what scott r posted, it looks like I should be going for the DIASTATIC malt for browning of NY-style dough in home oven.
9slicePie,

If you are interested in a nice discussion of malts by Tom Lehmann, see Reply 4 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58972.msg591738;topicseen#msg591738

Peter

Offline PizzaPassion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2022, 06:57:44 AM »
Just a quick update. I de-gassed and balled the dough first thing this morning. The texture feels much lighter than any dough I have ever made. As my PCP often says, sometimes less is more.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »
Great.  Now use it when the ball has grown to about double in size (or maybe even a little bit more than that.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 12:33:46 PM »
9slicePie,

If you are interested in a nice discussion of malts by Tom Lehmann, see Reply 4 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58972.msg591738;topicseen#msg591738

Peter

Just to clarify: there is diastatic malt and NON-diastatic malt.  Now, is LOW-diastatic malt a subcategory of diastatic malt??  Which one of these 3 is best to use to assist in browning of a NY-style pizza in a home oven?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2022, 01:52:12 PM »
Just to clarify: there is diastatic malt and NON-diastatic malt.  Now, is LOW-diastatic malt a subcategory of diastatic malt??  Which one of these 3 is best to use to assist in browning of a NY-style pizza in a home oven?
9slicePie,

Yes, there is a low diastatic malt (LDM) product. They have low degrees Lintner values. A couple of examples from Briess are as shown below.

BriesSpecialty™ MBF L030
Item # 7439
Robust malty flavor; 30º Lintner

Maltorose™ Dough Improver
Item # 5177
Blend of specialty malt flours and dextrose; standardized to 20º Lintner

If you go to the forum's Pizza Glossary and click on the entry LINTNER VALUE at https://www.pizzamaking.com/glossary.html#index_l, you will be able to learn more about the degrees Lintner values.

I would say that diastatic malt is the best option to achieve browning of the crust in a home oven. Many recipes call for low degrees Lintner values so you would have to find the right LDM product or else use a high degrees Lintner diastatic malt and use a corresponding percent. The LDM products typically contain diastatic malt, some flour, and a sugar such as dextrose.

Peter

Offline PizzaPassion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2022, 08:24:40 PM »
And here is the report after making a number of changes to nearly every ingredient in my dough.
First the crust browned surprisingly well for such a small amount of DMP. In fact the browning was better with  one gram of DMP than previously with 5 grams. I suspect this is the result of better fermentation.
The dough rose surprisingly well for such a small amount of yeast. The outside had a nice crustiness to it although the inside was not as chewy as I would have liked. In fact the inside was a bit dry.  I liked the fact that the slices didn't just collapse when you picked up a piece to eat it.
Next week I'm going to try the same recipe but with an artisan bread flour.
All in all this weeks dough was a great attempt at change.
Thanks Scott R and Peter.

Offline PizzaPassion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2022, 08:30:00 PM »
And one other question - Can anyone recommend a better scale than the one I am currently using. My current scale will not measure tenths of a gram and it also doesn't do real well with small amounts.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2022, 10:46:37 PM »
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer