A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Egg recipes
« Last post by jkb on Today at 03:39:59 AM »
Eggs Benedict always a keeper! Or hollandaise over pretty much anything!!!

Crab cake Benedict FTW.

Taking it one step beyond with Bearnaise is never a bad thing.
Neapolitan Style / Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Last post by Arne_Jervell on Today at 03:15:46 AM »
They all look great. Really, really great.
^^^ :drool:
Looking delicious as always.  We will miss those pictures as the sun sets low in the Northern sky!  Thank you for sharing them!
The poetry is a very nice touch considering the season for you, thanks for that, though I am Sorry this means there may not be many examples of your skills at making Neapolitan pizza in the coming months. Skills I am trying to learn from!
Nice pizza, great bake!

Thanks for the nice words! This time of the year I feel a little melancholy, the changing of seasons feels like a curse and a blessing at the same time. The song was playing on the radio as I was preparing the ingredients and I felt it captured the mood so perfectly.

The dough, by the way, was made with Pivetto Mimosa flour at 64% hydration. I used 11% SD and 2.8% salt. It was fermented for 23 hours at 21 °C (1 hour bulk, 22 hours in balls). That gave an 80% volume expansion. All in all a much better dough than the one I posted last time.

I have to ask what the surprise was in the Margherita picture . . . .

As I was carrying the first margherita to the table, the wine bottle suddenly gushed over. With the pizza in one hand, I managed to pull out my phone and snap a quick photo of is. If you look closely, you will see a red torrent of wine spilling all over the floor, partially obscured by the chair. :-D

Spilling red wine means good luck in Italy, I believe.
Dough Ingredients / Re: King Arthur "00" flour
« Last post by Quebert on Today at 02:44:27 AM »
It was almost certainly a malted flour. Look for an AP or BF that isn't malted (no malted barley flour or enzymes listed in the ingredients).

Thank you for mentioning this, unfortunately Smart & Final's BF, High Gluten & AP are all malted. There goes me getting a 25/50lb bag locally for a good price. And I checked 3 grocery stores, everything BF/AP was either malted or has enzymes.  Looks like I'm really going to have to dig deep to find a local source for sutiable Neo flour that's not $8 for a 3lb bag, doh lol.

Off-Topic Foods / Re: Egg recipes
« Last post by Jackitup on Today at 02:18:53 AM »
Eggs Benedict always a keeper! Or hollandaise over pretty much anything!!!
I'm looking for a 10qt mixer and beating my head over trying to make an informed decision.  I've scoured the web seeking more information on who makes what, where, and how, there's little information to help with this process.  For example, HappyBuy and Vevor appear to be the same, Atosa and Kitma appear to be the same, Uniworld, General, and Primo all appear to have come off the same line.  There are many others but you get my point so I'm hoping anybody with any information or first hand experience can post here to hopefully make life easier for others in the future.

To tell you my journey as somebody who only makes about 100 pounds of brownie batter a year (meal prep) I got a Kitchen Aid 600 Pro for $200, too small.  After a year of hunting found a Hobart A200 20qt for $500 thinking it could replace my meat grinder and mixer, too big/horrible meat grinder.  I then got a Hobart C100 ($400 with new bowl and paddle) which was a nice balance but it's older and I don't want to deal with servicing it.  I settled on a new Atosa PPM-10 (got a Weston #32 for my grinder) for $825 because it was on a site that allows me to return it in person if I have an issue.

Not intending for that to distract from the thread and don't need advice as I'll update when it comes to let you know my thoughts.  My goal was to give some back story with my journey and context for future comments.

I would really love to hear if any of you have an real like experience beyond the standard dislike of China mixers.  Like actual facts as to value points, point of diminishing returns and so on as well as any details you know about specific makers, resellers, and rebranding.   
Neapolitan Style / Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Last post by Icelandr on Today at 12:20:45 AM »
Going back can be perilous!

OK, in the right hands it may work out very well but here . . . .
I decided to try a bake using IDY, it has been about 15 months since I tried the switch to Sourdough and have been quite happy . . .but what if I was still using IDY!

I looked back at %’s of yeast I used to use and thought I had it down and ready .. . It became a day of watching and shifting locations, temperatures and wishing my guessing of IDY amounts were more realistic!
About 9:30 AM, I had started the evening before, I gave up the finely crafted fermentation box and put the dough out to the elements to slow it down!

The fact that I had pizza was a pleasant surprise

Nice dough, but . .  . The question “Was there a difference between yeast and sourdough” is still out there. Cornichone, where I didn’t bash it, seemed good, perhaps more prevalent even after my fingers. Flavour seemed different for sure . . . Better I am not sure. Let’s face it after waiting 24 hours for the dough AND the Pizza it is difficult to be unbiased . . .food or no food!
A couple of favourites, this time with IDY!

New York Style / Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Last post by GumbaWill on Yesterday at 10:17:45 PM »
Nice Will. Remind me, what's the weight of the dough you use for 18" pies?

My dough balls are 550 grams = 18" pie.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by vincentoc13 on Yesterday at 10:08:11 PM »
Been using my baking steel for all my pies for a few months, but decided to dust off the Koda 16.  Sure glad I did, this Pepperoni and Calabrese Salami pie came out excellent!!
We have a tired kitchen aid that wobbles and clicks.

I'm not telling you this to deter you from buying a new mixer but just wondering if you know about the center screw? I just found out today that is why mine was wobbling bad. All you have to do is unscrew it to raise the head which basically makes it tighter when you lock the head in place. Just something to think about if you are to sell it or keep it as a spare.
Neapolitan Style / Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Last post by Icelandr on Yesterday at 08:56:21 PM »
The poetry is a very nice touch considering the season for you, thanks for that, though I am Sorry this means there may not be many examples of your skills at making Neapolitan pizza in the coming months. Skills I am trying to learn from!
Nice pizza, great bake!
I have to ask what the surprise was in the Margherita picture . . . .

Thanks for the post
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress