A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Home Ovens / Re: Zio Ciro Nano
« Last post by Elchimi on Today at 04:04:52 PM »
I talked to the Zio Ciro folks in FL.  They are not planning on carrying it.  He stated the following reason (I'm sort of paraphrasing here):
1) Designed for Italian Specs..
2) To heavy to ship UPS or Fedex, so you would need something with lift gate service, so you looking somewhere between $200 to $400 to ship, which may be kind of excessive on a $400-$500 oven.
What a bummer 
Detroit Style / Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Last post by parallei on Today at 04:01:00 PM »
Nice job! Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks, Hans. I've passed #115's recipe to many folks. Always a hit. A slightly better photo of last night's pie is attached. I enjoyed the blend of sharp cheddar/munster cheeses.
« Last post by Bfbreaux on Today at 03:46:38 PM »
I talked to the Zio Ciro folks in FL.  They are not planning on carrying it.  He stated the following reason (I'm sort of paraphrasing here):
1) Designed for Italian Specs..
2) To heavy to ship UPS or Fedex, so you would need something with lift gate service, so you looking somewhere between $200 to $400 to ship, which may be kind of excessive on a $400-$500 oven.
Pizza Cheese / Cheese temp
« Last post by PizzaF1 on Today at 03:06:22 PM »
What is your idea of the perfect cheese temp for neopolitan pizza that gives you the best results all around (cheese melt, cheese pull, cheese taste)
Baking temp is around 420-430 with a baking time of just under 2 minutes.

Thanks in advance.
I would never pay for a pizza making class when there are so many excellent free resources available. Pizzamaking.com is a free resource, and it's probably about as good as you can get. There are so many pizza makers on the forum willing to share their recipes, ideas, trials, errors, and successes. I just can't imagine Vito's master class being more useful.
Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews / Re: Song' E Napule Pizzeria NYC
« Last post by scott r on Today at 02:48:08 PM »
I'll bet you do  ;)
New York Style / Re: New York Pizza fail, did I over-knead?
« Last post by scott r on Today at 02:46:50 PM »
it could be that, or it could also be other things too.   Something else to look out for is under proofing.  good luck.
New York Style / Re: How does Caputo Americana compare to All Trumps?
« Last post by scott r on Today at 02:38:12 PM »
The Caputo flour is nice, but it's a whole different animal; made from soft European winter wheat, as opposed to the hard spring wheat that most American flour is made from. The gluten character you'll get in the dough, and the resulting chew, are quite a bit different. The Caputo flour can get a reasonable crisp on it if it's baked properly, but the chew will never be the same as you'd get from an American flour.

I worked with caputo Americana quite a bit at a coal fired pizzeria I was consulting for.  That was the flour they were using when I first began working with them.  The reason they needed my help to improve their crust wasn't a problem caused by the flour they were using (it never is), but I suggested bringing in all trumps and a few other flours to do side by side shoot outs like I always do when consulting. I do this to show people how small of a difference different brands of flour will make in the finished product as long as they are in the same general protein range and the proper mixing and recipe adjustments are made. 

The unanimous decision was that the pizza we were making with all trumps and the one we were making with Caputo Americana were so similar that there was no need to spend all that extra money on the imported flour. Admittedly, this was a 4-5 minute pizza, so not true NY style, but im not sure it would be any different with a slower bake.

Some things to consider:

Caputo says publicly that they bring in some of the wheat that they use in their blends from North America

Caputo says publicly that their Manitoba product is made with hard spring wheat, so why wouldn't they use that as part of the blend in their Americana product?

Caputo is one of the most technologically advanced millers in Italy and they were supposedly trying to copy all trumps. 
Neapolitan Style / Re: My trip to Naples and back
« Last post by Heikjo on Today at 02:11:36 PM »
Very nice! How does the top look when not turned? Thatís where I see the biggest difference. When I turn after 40 seconds, the crust side furthest in is quite pale, while the outer side has started browning. If not turned, the side furthest in gets an undercooled characteristic.
« Last post by Elchimi on Today at 01:56:59 PM »
Shipping from Florida may bring up the price a bit. Looks good though!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
wordpress