A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 119755 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #1620 on: September 28, 2021, 09:29:33 PM »
The trouble with making pizza comes when not making pizza . . . .I look at Franco Pepe, I look at Ciro Salvo, 50 Kalo and mutter how do they do that. I look at Lilla Napoli on Facebook and while they tell you how they do it . . .it doesn’t survive my translation. What if I took a course, oh . . I don’t like group learning. I search San Marzano tomatoes and delivery to Gabriola. Fresh Fior Di Latte from Italy to Gabriola. Hey! His or her pizza looks better, look at the cornichone, the fresh combinations of . . .  .
Hey Sharon, how about we have another pizza in a couple of days, just a couple . . . .and the cycle starts again
I am glad I have my group for my eventual recovery . . .  .
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1621 on: September 28, 2021, 09:38:49 PM »
Sometimes it's tough. You get all excited to be making a bunch of pizza and then it doesn't go how you want it. The dough is off or the oven isn't how you want it, launches fail off the peel, something burns...

We've all been there. There's always the next bake.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1622 on: October 05, 2021, 12:54:29 AM »
A couple of experiments and coincidentally, supper!

Jackie Tran showed a Margherita with cherry tomatoes and I really wanted to try it. The 50 Kalo site has a cubed potato pizza I have tried before and wanted to revisit to improve my rendition, what the heck it is only for the two oldies!
Both, as it turns out tasted very good.
  • Margherita extra - addition of sliced cherry tomatoes, squashed to remove the seeds and juice and rested on a paper towel to remove excess moisture
  • 50 Kalo inspired. Base of mozzarella, smoked Cacciocovallo, Taleggio, cubed and sautéed potatoes, red onion, rosemary, olive oil and post bake, mortadella.
There is another ball of dough in the dough box but looking around the table, not a single request for more, there are apparently some restrictions after 74!Lingering thoughts of course, why isn’t the dough more tender, why was there more cornichone when using yeast, why why why?

I guess to be continued, thanks for looking!
Greg

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1623 on: October 05, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
Cook that last dough ball it will make a great lunch

Jerry

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1624 on: October 17, 2021, 12:20:45 AM »
Going back can be perilous!

OK, in the right hands it may work out very well but here . . . .
I decided to try a bake using IDY, it has been about 15 months since I tried the switch to Sourdough and have been quite happy . . .but what if I was still using IDY!

I looked back at %’s of yeast I used to use and thought I had it down and ready .. . It became a day of watching and shifting locations, temperatures and wishing my guessing of IDY amounts were more realistic!
About 9:30 AM, I had started the evening before, I gave up the finely crafted fermentation box and put the dough out to the elements to slow it down!

The fact that I had pizza was a pleasant surprise

Nice dough, but . .  . The question “Was there a difference between yeast and sourdough” is still out there. Cornichone, where I didn’t bash it, seemed good, perhaps more prevalent even after my fingers. Flavour seemed different for sure . . . Better I am not sure. Let’s face it after waiting 24 hours for the dough AND the Pizza it is difficult to be unbiased . . .food or no food!
A couple of favourites, this time with IDY!

Greg

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1625 on: October 17, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »
Good looking pizzas Greg!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1626 on: October 18, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Thank you Scott! They were indeed tasty, in spite of the surprise rise of the pluviometer. You mentioned Taleggio in another thread and we love it here, more perhaps than the mushrooms and Italian sausage that are the main ingredients on that pizza.
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1627 on: October 18, 2021, 12:15:15 PM »
Greg, your pizza is looking real good, and indeed it seems the cornicione is a bit more pronounced than last time.

On the flavor difference between sourdough and yeast, I have done a few side by sides in the past. One "trick" to more readily discover the flavor differences of the crust, I find, is to let the pies cool past the point one normally would for Neapolitan pizza. Luke warm the flavor differences seem much more pronounced than when eating them straight from the oven.

Mmmmmm.... Taleggio...  :drool:

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #1628 on: October 18, 2021, 02:34:51 PM »
But then what's the point?  Pizza should be eaten immediately!  ;D

Though eating it cold is probably the best way to evaluate what you might have done wrong..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1629 on: October 18, 2021, 02:42:36 PM »
 :-D True.

To be fair, I wasn't suggesting eating luke warm pizza on a regular basis. It's just a neat little trick to amplify the differences, sort of training/priming for the taste buds. It really aids in discovering the nuances and that carries over to hot pies too.  :chef:   

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1630 on: October 18, 2021, 02:51:10 PM »
But it is true, letting the pizza cool off, exposes a lot of the faults it might have.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1631 on: October 18, 2021, 07:16:33 PM »
But it is true, letting the pizza cool off, exposes a lot of the faults it might have.
But why it always so good with my morning coffee?
Marty

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1632 on: October 18, 2021, 11:58:49 PM »
There be faults? . . ..  ..  . .

Quelle surprise!
Greg

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1633 on: October 19, 2021, 05:48:38 AM »
But why it always so good with my morning coffee?

Well I kind of think that if it's good cold, then it was even better when it was warm.
Jack

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1634 on: October 20, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
Just an odd bit, but I guess they all are. Just received notification that the Ooni 16 I ordered in August is expected now in Mid December!
Yikes!
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1635 on: October 22, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
Just in time for Christmas!

Let me know when you cook your first pie in the Ooni, and I'll weld one at the same time.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1636 on: October 23, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »
Sooner or later the law of averages works out and the dough, without intervention, works as it should. This bake was one of those.

Hand built again, 66% hydration, 2.8% salt, 3.8% sourdough, 14 hours in bulk, 9.5 in ball. The odd bit was where because of luck of the gods, it started and finished in the house on the counter, far from the spiffy fermentation chamber, the temperature was just right and stable. Unlike, perhaps, the operator.

A review of a few videos on opening techniques, yes, again, and away we went.

• Margherita Extra, with matchstick cut pepperoni.
  • Potato, Bacon and Blue Cheese - a departure for fun. A base of 24 month Grana Padano cream sauce (Thank You Arne Jervell) a layer of fine sliced red potato, bacon, smoked Caccio Covallo and a grating of Blue Cheese and a dusting of finely chopped Rosemary.
I was a bit disappointed with the pepperoni, it dried more and was a bit tough but still imparted a nice flavour.The Potato pizza was too rich! It tasted great, was successful but don’t serve it first!

Good fun!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:26:14 PM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1637 on: October 23, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
Lookin' good!!!
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1638 on: October 23, 2021, 11:33:34 PM »
That Margherita looks great!
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1639 on: October 30, 2021, 11:43:54 PM »
Spooky times, All Hallows’ Eve. A time for Fire, Pyrotechnics and Pizza!

OK, a bit early for celebrations but the fire was hot and the intent was there! More Treat than Trick, luckily, as the dough worked quite well, not quite to best fermentation, but seriously is it ever!

The sort of “usual dough”, 66% hydration, sourdough, 24 hour ferment at 21°C.

• Margherita . .  Used a new San Marzano tomato from our local Costco, first time I have seen it. A bit of salt added after blending, but quite good. Sharon prefers the 7/11 crushed tomatoes, richer and more flavourful, sweeter.
  • Mushroom, Italian Sausage, black olive, usually a white based pizza here, but we had the San Marzano’s. A heavier pizza, but the dough held it well and the taste was very good, though perhaps not Neapolitan!
I have purchased a new set of Pluviometers, OK, rain gauges, after old clumsy hands cracked the ones purchased and sent to me by a good friend on this board. They are glass and differently labeled, but should last or be spectacular in their demise! It is scary watching an old arthritic dude whirling a plastic cylinder of dough, when we got the glass, Sharon fled from the room!A good evening and prep. I am intrigued with my unknowing adaptation of kneading and the familiarity of the steps in putting a dough together, who knew an old guy could keep learning AND having so much fun!
Greg