A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Doughs of My Life  (Read 90757 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Reply #1180 on: March 11, 2022, 02:28:50 PM »
Sorry to hear of the possible passing of Salvatore but I recall you making a “backup” last year. I do hope the Son of Salvatore will rise again! So looking forward to your posting again, hope your spring arrives soon.
Greg
A very patient wife, PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor, backup Ooni 16

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #1181 on: March 11, 2022, 02:31:53 PM »
It's funny how winter has laster for an eternity, yet it blew past in an instant.

Spring is in the air and I am getting mentally ready for season 2022. What a blast it will be.

I started waking up Salvatore, my trusted sourdough. I must have lost the touch, however. He dies on me. Zero activity. What to do what to do.

Fortunately I have one backup. I will review my rehydration procedure and commence carefully.

You only need a few flakes to awaken your backup.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1182 on: March 12, 2022, 08:53:43 AM »
Sorry to hear of the possible passing of Salvatore but I recall you making a “backup” last year. I do hope the Son of Salvatore will rise again! So looking forward to your posting again, hope your spring arrives soon.
Thank you, I am hopeful next time I will succeed. Will wait a couple of weeks before I try again. Some travelling ahead so better wait until I can dedicate all my time to nurture the little creatures.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1183 on: March 12, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »

You only need a few flakes to awaken your backup.
Hm good point, guess I can try with just half of what's left...

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1184 on: March 15, 2022, 11:52:28 PM »
I had forgotten you had a little getaway planned! I am so jealous that “ little getaways” seem so much easier in Europe and that a few hours in, you can be in Italy tasting what I only dream of.
Enjoy and please report back
Greg

Offline Danielson7

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1185 on: March 16, 2022, 03:25:03 AM »
Hello Arne, I must say you are making great looking pizzas!

I find it interesting, that you are mixing the dough for less than 10minutes? Would you tell me some more details about your mixing process?

Regards :)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1186 on: March 16, 2022, 03:31:54 PM »
I had forgotten you had a little getaway planned! I am so jealous that “ little getaways” seem so much easier in Europe and that a few hours in, you can be in Italy tasting what I only dream of.
Enjoy and please report back

Thanks, I'm looking forward to kick-starting the season with a trip to Naples. We only have 2.5 full days there, but will be making the most of what little time we have. Will take pictures and report back.  :pizza:

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1187 on: March 16, 2022, 03:45:07 PM »
Hello Arne, I must say you are making great looking pizzas!

I find it interesting, that you are mixing the dough for less than 10minutes? Would you tell me some more details about your mixing process?

Regards :)

Thank you Dan, I will return the compliment immediately having just read your thread "How to make...". Mouth watering photos!

The mixing process I use for my doughs with hydration in the 62-65% range is pretty straight forward. I use a spiral mixer (Sun6) and go like this:
  • Flour + salt go into the bowl and get mixed for a few seconds.
  • Water + SD is whisked together in a separate bowl
  • Start mixer at around 125 RPM and pour in the water/yeast mixture (I spend 10-20 seconds on the pouring).
  • After about 7 minutes the dough tends to look finished.
  • At that time I stop the mixer and let it rest for 2 minutes.
  • Finally, I run the mixer for "three rounds" or so before it is collected into a ball and into bulk fermentation it goes.

Cheers,
Arne

Offline Santastico

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1188 on: March 18, 2022, 02:07:49 PM »
Thanks, I'm looking forward to kick-starting the season with a trip to Naples. We only have 2.5 full days there, but will be making the most of what little time we have. Will take pictures and report back.  :pizza:

Can't wait for the report. We've been to Naples on a very short trip and tried 4 different pizza places on the same night.  :-D

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1189 on: March 20, 2022, 12:51:58 PM »
Is Caizzaio on your list this time? I would love to hear your report from Franco Pepe’s, complete of course with pictures. Perhaps “Alex the French guy” can arrange a session in the private room.
So jealous of your ability to get to Naples!
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1190 on: March 20, 2022, 02:40:13 PM »
Is Caizzaio on your list this time? I would love to hear your report from Franco Pepe’s, complete of course with pictures. Perhaps “Alex the French guy” can arrange a session in the private room.
So jealous of your ability to get to Naples!
Yes Caiazzo is on the list! Unfortunately I've not managed to convince Pepe to invite us to an "autentica" experience though. :+)

I'm going with two good friends and there is still some debate about what other places to visit, but I think we'll end up striking a balance between exploration and exploitation that is about 50/50.

Getting excited over here. :)

Offline soler

« Reply #1191 on: March 20, 2022, 03:04:31 PM »
Yes Caiazzo is on the list! Unfortunately I've not managed to convince Pepe to invite us to an "autentica" experience though. :+)

I'm going with two good friends and there is still some debate about what other places to visit, but I think we'll end up striking a balance between exploration and exploitation that is about 50/50.

Getting excited over here. :)

Oh I am so jealous. I visited naples in December. Spent just 24h there but managed to have amazing pizzas!
We had pizza at da michele, sorbillo and of course we went to pepe in Grani and it was an amazing experience.

Hope you have a great time there! Looking forward to reading your report!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 05:11:55 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1192 on: March 22, 2022, 01:51:54 PM »

Awaiting the report with the rest of the Forum Arnie!  Have a great visit.  Perhaps a Sorbillo report??
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1193 on: March 23, 2022, 01:49:20 PM »
Dear sir, your request for me eating at Sorbillo has been granted. : chef: It shall be good!

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1194 on: March 25, 2022, 02:35:08 AM »
Pizzeria Concettina ai Tre Santi

Together with my two good friends Mr Vine and Mr Pink, we touch down in in Naples around lunch time and head directly to a pizzeria called "Pizzeria Concettina ai Tre Santi" for lunch. To be honest I have not heard of this place, but it was on Mr Vine's must-go list and is mentioned as "excellent" in Michelin guide Italia (https://guide.michelin.com/en/campania/napoli/restaurant/da-concettina-ai-tre-santi).

We requested an outdoor seat to savor the warm sunny weather, and as we perused the menu the very friendly and helpful staff set us up with cold drinks.

I opted for the "Margheritissima", featuring piennolo cherry tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and 48 month aged parmigiano, in addition to the mandatory basil and EVO.

It did not take long for the food to arrive. It was a vibrantly colored pie measuring 32 cm in diameter and a cornicione about 2 cm tall. Yes I brought a measuring tape. :-D

As can seen in the photo below, there were a couple of large black blisters, nothing too off-putting. Another thing I noticed immediately, while not as clear in the picture, was a somewhat uneven cook. But in general it looked good and had largely a nice browning on the cornicione. The aroma was fantastic, especially as I plucked a couple of fresh basil leaves from the  table decoration, an abounding basil plant, and sprinkled over my pie.

The taste was characterized by the tomatoes, really powerful with a wonderful sweetness combined with a refreshing acidity and maybe a slight bitterness. The mozzarella and the other toppings complemented the tomatoes wonderfully. The first bite was perfection.

Unfortunately the crust came across as rather doughy. The cornicione felt dense and heavy, not light and airy. After just a slice or two my stomach felt full. Occational bitterness from burnt flour (or dough) put me off too.

I finished the whole pizza but perhaps I should have stopped halfway. I felt so stuffed afterwards that I almost didn't want to get up.

It was only a 30 minute walk to our apartment, so we did the only logical thing in this situation. Stopping for coffee and a little grappa on the way, however, I guess it took a lot more. But we are in no hurry, the agenda is pizza and it will take a while before I'm ready for another one. Especially after consuming an obligatory fiocco di neve "snow flake", which nobody asked for.

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1195 on: March 25, 2022, 06:19:05 AM »
I ate there too in 2017 my pizza trip in Naples. Tomatoes,  fior di latte, Bufala were very good. On the dough I had the same opinions as you have. I guess they don't put much attentions on the dough. %56-60 hydro. With 8- 12 hours fermentation. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 10:29:00 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1196 on: March 25, 2022, 06:35:29 AM »
That's interesting, yes perhaps it is more than just a bad dough day then.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1197 on: March 25, 2022, 06:36:07 AM »
Gino e Toto Sorbillo

It felt slightly awkward putting our names on the waiting list at the Sorbillo restaurant in Via dei Tribunali while still feeling full from lunch. But it was getting late now and we could not skip a meal.

Queueing up outside and waiting for a table is charming and can also be great fun. It is also a little chaotic. As they call out names from the list, pronouncing strange foreign names like "Arne" the best they can, the crackling speaker and the sheer amound of street noise makes interpreting what was said and who got called a challenge. But somehow it all sorts itself out.

As we finally get a table and settle in, I am struck by the nice, warm and, dare I say, well-designed atmosphere. The staff is very efficient but also very professional-friendly.

Not hungry at all, I ordered two pies. Don't ask, but I'll tell. This is the very spot where I was introduced to pizza napoletana. It totally blew my mind back then. Having returned a few times after that first revelation, I've had both excellent and not so excellent experiences here, but this spot has a special significance to me. This very thread was originally inspired by one of my visits here.

So I've got to have two pies. A margherita for sure, but also something new. The toppings listed for "Mariarosaria" won me over: yellow piennolo tomatoes, origano, garlic, chili and anchovies. Plus basil and EVO.

The Mariarosaria came first. I measured it, yes I did.  31 cm in diameter, with a cornicione about 1.75 cm tall. By the looks of it, a somewhat uneven bake. But wow! It was a looker. My photo (below) does not even begin to do it justice, probably tainted by bad light conditions.

I dug in immediately and got my reward. The dough was exactly what I could hope for. Soft, light, tender, tasty, all boxes checked. Never better at this place. But there were some burnt spots on the bottom, which was unfortunate.

The topping combination was great. Really pungent and sweet tomatoes, kept in check by the other ingredients; salt, slight heat, and a fantastic anchovy that blended in perfectly. I immediately declared that one of my goals this summer is to make something inspired by this. (If only I can source the right ingredients, they were of really high quality here).

Pizza number two, a regular margherita, measured in at 34 cm and 3 cm tall, the largest pie so far. I think it would have been better to serve this one first, before the taste explosion of the Mariarosaria numbed my taste buds, but it was very good nevertheless.

Downing these pies was no problem at all, they did not seem to fill me up much more than I was already. I attribute this to excellent digestibility due to well managed dough.

I even found room for post dinner snacks some other place a little later.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 06:39:03 AM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1198 on: March 25, 2022, 10:34:46 AM »
I am not jealous. I am not jealous.  I am not jealous  I am not jealous
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1199 on: March 26, 2022, 02:56:05 AM »
I Masinelli

There are too many places I want to try, and many of them are in or around Caserta. Yesterday's lunch  took one down as we had secured a table at I Masinelli, Francesco Martucci.

I've been eager to try the "three-temperature pizza" there ever since I first heard of it. For those who haven't heard of it, it's a three step cooking process where the dough is steamed at 100 °C, fried at 180 °C and finally baked in the oven at 400 °C. People rave about it. I am slightly sceptical but very very hopeful and excited to see for myself.

We shared four pies:

1. DOC: San Marzano tomatoes, cherry tomatoe confit, mozzarella, parmigiano.
2. Inumana: Puffed potatoes, mozzarella, "Marbled Bavarian" (slow cooked beef), fermented onion powder.
3. L'altra Carabiniera: San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, 'nduja, garlic, chilli pepper, EVO
4. Nero di Corbara: Corbarino tomatoes, fennel sausage, caciocavallo, EVO.

The two first pizzas were cooked three ways, measured 29 cm in diameter and about 2,5 cm tall. Less pronounced cornicione than regular Neapolitan as the entire pizza had puffed up a good amount due to steaming and frying.

The DOC could be described in simple terms as a parboiled montanara with excellent ingredients. It had a very similar look and feel at least. Great taste and texture: Super pillowy dough with a crisp exterior. We decided to believe that steaming added to the extreme soft fluffiness and perhaps that the three step cooking process also might contribute to the contrast between outer and inner crust, which we thought might be a bit more pronounced than in a typical montanara. In any case, this was a really good pizza!

We had high expectations for the Inumana, but sadly this was a disappointment. Well, the main star, the meat, tasted sublime in itself! But as a pizza it did not impress any of us. The potatoes gave an overwhelmingly dry mouth feel to the experience, and while the cheese was good, it but could not compensate for this.  The potato slices were really too thick or just too plentyful IMO. We expected some exciting flavors here too, but instead it was rather bland. I did not finish my serving.

The next two pies were straight oven bakes, measuring 32 cm in diameter and a pronounced cornicione around 2.7 cm tall.

L'altra Carabiniera had much in common with one of my own favorite pies back home, the "Ille-B". This was a great tasting pizza that came with no surprises. My two travelling companions both voted for this as the best in show here. Me, I was missing caramelized onions. ;)

Nero di Corbara was my personal favorite of the four. Maybe not "the looker" but a pleasant and simple combination of great tasting toppings. Smoked cheese and fennel sausage is a combination I will keep in mind this summer.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 02:59:21 AM by Arne_Jervell »

wordpress