A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Best countertop stand mixer for doughs? Price is no object.  (Read 458 times)

Offline Zimm

• I Love Pizza!
Best countertop stand mixer for doughs? Price is no object.
« on: October 01, 2021, 03:59:15 AM »
Okay so I'm going to go crazy on our next mixer.  Ignore than I'm in Japan, we'll be stateside when I purchase it so the voltage is correct. We have a tired kitchen aid that wobbles and clicks.  It barely handles pizza dough.  My wife is getting into bagels which will destroy a cheap mixer.

I have my heart and eyes fixated on a Hobart N50 3 speed gear mixer.  It's about $3000, but my first job in high school was at a butcher shop and I was surrounded by shiny silver Hobart machines.  I love commercial duty stuff.

But then there are spiral mixers, and the Swedish ankarsrum is nearly the same price.  But it sure doesn't look at awesome as the N50.

I don't care what it costs, I want to buy it for us and to be passed down a few generations.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 04:09:38 AM by Zimm »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Best countertop stand mixer for doughs? Price is no object.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 08:10:30 AM »
I have used both and I prefer the countertop spirals to the N50, but beware that there are no attachments or the ability to cream sugar/butter for cookies etc... spirals are a bagel/bread/pizza only machine.

Offline loch

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 11:42:11 AM »
I have used both and I prefer the countertop spirals to the N50, but beware that there are no attachments or the ability to cream sugar/butter for cookies etc... spirals are a bagel/bread/pizza only machine.
Z

Those are important considerations. I'll add that you should consider how large a batch of dough you will need to mix.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 07:12:46 PM »
If a large percentage of your dough is for pizza and bread then the spiral mixer is what you want!!!!  I have an Ankasrum currently and a Sunmix 10.  The Ankarsrum only gets used for brownies, butter, cakes, cookies etc....  It doesn't even compare to the Sunmix for bread and pizza dough. 

Offline Zimm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 08:32:49 PM »
Yes it'll be just for pizza, bread, and bagel dough.  Small batches though, like one recipe at a time.  We're a family of 4.  So far my biggest batch is only around 4 cups of flour.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "price is no object", but I think $3000 is about my threshold.

It looks like the sun mix 6 is about the right size.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:40:35 PM by Zimm »

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 10:07:39 PM »
FWIW, I have a Sunmix 6 and normally make around a kg of dough (~4 pizza).  The realistic minimum is maybe around half a kg or a little more.

It works very well for this and for bread, hamburger buns, high hydration dough, etc, and even does most of the work when making pasta.  It's also a very sturdy machine that has all chances of being passed through generations.

I think I'm set for life with a KA and the Sunmix! :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 12:47:10 PM »
FWIW, I have a Sunmix 6 and normally make around a kg of dough (~4 pizza).  The realistic minimum is maybe around half a kg or a little more.

It works very well for this and for bread, hamburger buns, high hydration dough, etc, and even does most of the work when making pasta.  It's also a very sturdy machine that has all chances of being passed through generations.

I think I'm set for life with a KA and the Sunmix! :D

^^^

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
Sunmix is great! There might be other good ones

Offline Zimm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Sunmix 6 it is!

Online Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 10:42:23 PM »
Have fun with you new toy!

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 08:58:55 PM »
We have a tired kitchen aid that wobbles and clicks.

I'm not telling you this to deter you from buying a new mixer but just wondering if you know about the center screw? I just found out today that is why mine was wobbling bad. All you have to do is unscrew it to raise the head which basically makes it tighter when you lock the head in place. Just something to think about if you are to sell it or keep it as a spare.