A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC and Chicago not the best pizza cities? (yahoo.com article)  (Read 552 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: NYC and Chicago not the best pizza cities? (yahoo.com article)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »
Oh my. Where to start? How about with the cardboard-looking pie in the picture at the top of the article  :-X

How was "best for pizza" defined? This is a new one...

The list, which scored the 50 largest metros in the country, was based on the following criteria:

Google Trends interest in 20 pizza variations.

Pizza restaurants per 100,000 residents.

Pizza restaurants per square mile.

Google Trends interest in general pizza terms.

Independent pizza restaurants per 100,000 residents.

Average price and affordability of cheese pizza.

Average price and affordability of pepperoni pizza.

Big chain pizza restaurants per 100,000 residents.

What's missing from the list? Everything related to quality.

The list seems more like a ranking of which states like cheap pizza the most. If you like great pizza, these may not be your "best pizza" cities.

Pizza rankings have always sucked for all sorts of reasons, but they had to dig deep to find this new low  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 01:18:37 PM »
I can assure you that Camarillo ranks at the bottom for all food regardless of what metrics you choose
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 02:56:42 PM »
“What U.S. city has the happiest marriages? Based on google searches for “companionship” and wedding chapel density, it turns out Las Vegas……”
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 03:22:40 PM »
Although Detroit is a good pizza city, it's far from great. Other than a few standouts we pretty much have only standard round and square pizza. You won't find much variety, there is one SD spot a couple of NP shops and few if any thin/tavern/bar. Which is why I have pizza other than my own maybe once a year...
Instagram @hans_michigan. The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings. -Brian Spangler

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 04:51:55 PM »
I went back and read the source article, and it did get one thing right. Houston was in the bottom 10 worst pizza cities. That's an accurate assessment.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline nickyr

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 01:30:25 AM »
I hope these people don’t have a college ranking or they might ruin someone’s life.

Moderators plz delete this thread so we don’t give them more advertising revenue from click throughs.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 02:45:43 AM »
So some schmuck journalist wannabe, wants to do his piece on redefining best regional pizza without stepping a foot into a single pizzeria, and bases all his opinions on garbage statistics and metrics my granddaughter could gather off the interweb! How much skill goes into that beside bias and BS! Does ANYONE do real work anymore????? Siiiiiggggghhhhhhh..........
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline SammyMeatballs

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 05:20:10 PM »
Big Chain pizza restaurants per 100,000 ...  :-D

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 05:27:26 PM »
Another commercial click-bait fluff piece.

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 09:00:52 PM »
These articles are so much nonsense. Just a few months back, Portland was called best pizza city. True? Probably not really, but if it helps the city come back, great! But this new lame ranking ruffled some feathers here.
https://www.koin.com/news/portland-isnt-one-a-good-pizza-city-according-to-new-study/

Offline Zing

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 10:56:37 PM »
When 9slicePie posted that link without comment, I knew he did it to give us belly laughs.

Yahoo called the list originator (Anytime Estimate) a loan company. They do not make loans. "Anytime Estimate was founded by former loan officer Bill MacDonald in 2009 and helps thousands of daily visitors crunch the numbers on mortgages, home purchases, refinancing, and more. Anytime Estimate's straightforward calculators and expert articles simplify real estate — fast."

The guy who wrote the article for Anytime Estimate is probably good on crunching real-estate related numbers. But i doubt he ever set foot in New York City. He claims "New York has a lackluster share of independent pizzerias. With just 1.5 independent pizzerias per 100,000 residents, it's half the average of 3.1 per 100,000 across the 50 cities we looked at." You used to be able to get a reasonably good count of pizzerias in NYC by checking the five Yellow Pages. I don't know where to find a accurate list at the present time. There must be thousands of independents. The chains never made much headway in NYC.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 10:40:18 AM »
When 9slicePie posted that link without comment, I knew he did it to give us belly laughs.

;D