A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: ATK Chicago Thin  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
ATK Chicago Thin
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:40:44 AM »
Chicago Thin-Crust Pizza

The trick for making an ideal Chicago Thin-Crust Pizza at home was to make the dough in a food processor. Because of the high speed of the blade, the processor brought the dough together quickly, which prevented too much gluten from forming and kept the crust crisp. A no-cook tomato sauce—a combination of canned tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, and dried spices—and shredded mozzarella sprinkled all the way to the outer edges covered the dough. And finally, we baked the pizza until the edges were crisp and dark.

Using cold water keeps the dough from overheating in the food processor. A pizza peel is the best tool for moving the pizza in and out of the oven, but you can also use a rimless baking sheet.

Serves: Two 12" pizzas

Ingredients

For the Dough:
2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Flour (100%):
Water (48%):
IDY (1.3%):
Salt (1.33%):
Olive Oil (7.6%):
Sugar (1.1%):
Total (159.33%):
Single Ball:
355.87 g  |  12.5 oz
170.82 g  |  6 oz
4.63 g |  1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
4.73 g |  1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
27.05 g |  2 tbsp
3.91 g |  1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
567 g | 20 oz
283.5 g | 10 oz

For the Sauce:
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

For the Toppings and Assembly:
12 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
12 ounces (3 cups) whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Cornmeal

Directions

1. For the pizza: Process flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in food processor until combined, about 3 seconds. With processor running, slowly add cold water and oil and process until dough forms sticky ball that clears sides of bowl, 30 to 60 seconds.

2. Transfer dough to lightly oiled counter and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Shape dough into tight ball and place in greased bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature until almost doubled in size, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. One hour before baking, adjust oven rack to lowest position, set baking stone on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.

3. For the sauce: Whisk all ingredients together in bowl. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)

4. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter, divide in half, and gently shape each half into ball. Return 1 dough ball to bowl and cover with plastic. Coat remaining dough ball lightly with flour and gently flatten into 8-inch disk using your fingertips. Using rolling pin, roll dough into 12‑inch circle, dusting dough lightly with flour as needed. (If dough springs back during rolling, let rest for 10 minutes before rolling again.)

5. Sprinkle pizza peel or rimless baking sheet with cornmeal. Transfer dough to prepared pizza peel or rimless baking sheet and carefully stretch to return to 12-inch circle. Using back of spoon or ladle, spread scant 1/2 cup sauce in thin layer over surface of dough, leaving 1/8-inch border around edge. Pinch 6 ounces sausage into approximate dime-size pieces and evenly distribute over sauce. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups mozzarella evenly over sausage to edge of pie. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon oregano over top.

6. Carefully slide pizza onto baking stone and bake until cheese is well browned and edges of pizza are crisp and dark, 10 to 14 minutes. Slide pizza peel underneath pizza and remove pizza from oven. Slide pizza onto cutting board and let cool for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough, sauce, sausage, mozzarella, and oregano. Cut pizzas into 2- to 3-inch squares and serve.

Offline Garvey

Re: ATK Chicago Thin
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »
Video to come.  Chef Bryan Roof went to Vito & Nick's to do some intel on how to make Chicago thin and spent a whole day in their kitchen, but he stops short of saying this recipe is a clone.  TBH, I wonder if he did any research on this board. 

Recipe seems legit enough--looks pretty standard, really--although it is a same-day dough, which I'm not a fan of.  I don't see why one couldn't dial down the yeast a bit and do a longer cold ferment with this recipe.  My only other comment about the dough is that 280g for a 12" pizza seems excessive, IMO.  That is a TF of 0.0884. 

They also made sausage from scratch, and it looked pretty good.  Unfortunately, that recipe isn't up yet.  When the video is up, I'll try to jot it down then.  IIRC, he said that V&N makes/serves about 1,000 lbs of sausage per week.

When they ate the pizza cooked on the show, chef Julia Collin Davison said it was the best pizza she's ever had.  IOW, she finally had Chicago thin. :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:03:19 AM by Garvey »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »
Chef roof didn't see any milk being used in the dough?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Garvey

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
Chef roof didn't see any milk being used in the dough?

He didn't mention it, which I thought was weird.  Usually, the ATK style is to mention an oddity like that and include it in their banter, only to explain why the recipe on the show does not do said oddity.

Is the milk BS?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »
Maybe...hmmm.

I sure remember her handing Guy gallon jug of milk on his episode of V&N.... Everybody prolly remembers that!! 😲

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »
We used eggs in the early 70's... An some milk powder. Chicago suburbs.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
Maybe...hmmm.

I sure remember her handing Guy gallon jug of milk on his episode of V&N.... Everybody prolly remembers that!! 😲

Of course.  But it wouldn't be the first time a restaurateur dragged a red herring through a recipe [cough, cornmeal, cough].  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »
Of course.  But it wouldn't be the first time a restaurateur dragged a red herring through a recipe [cough, cornmeal, cough].  ;D
Garvey,

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a clone of the V&N pizza. And I, too, wondered whether the milk was a red herring. And I commented on possibility of the original video being staged, at Reply 55 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4676.msg480081;topicseen#msg480081

Also, as I noted in the above post, the article at https://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/November-2015/Best-Pizza/Vito-Nicks/ mentioned the use of milk in the Vito & Nick's dough.

If you are interested, you can see a sample of what I did at Reply 119 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6368.msg117149#msg117149

If you scan the thread referenced above, you will find quite a few posts directed to the V&N pizza and dough, and including what appears to be the original video.

Peter

Offline Garvey

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  I see I used the phrase "red herring" back in that old thread, too.  lol.  Predictable old man, doing his tirades.   :D

Even so, this is a bit of a rabbit trail away from the ATK recipe.  Chef said he spent a day at V&N to learn how to make thin crust, and he left it at that.  He really made no connection between his recipe and theirs.

Offline ipapizza

• Pizza every night!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
What does ATK stand for ???

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 03:51:23 PM »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 03:52:28 PM »
And when that fails:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=ATK

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »
 Garvey,

I viewed that episode last week. I was interested how their recipe stacked up to your Pizza Factory clone.  It looked pretty good till I saw they were making a same day dough. The end product looked pretty good. I am going to try the ATK recipe, but I imagine the crust won't be near as tasty as yours.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
Garvey,

I viewed that episode last week. I was interested how their recipe stacked up to your Pizza Factory clone.  It looked pretty good till I saw they were making a same day dough. The end product looked pretty good. I am going to try the ATK recipe, but I imagine the crust won't be near as tasty as yours.

Thanks for the kind words, man.  TBH, their formulation is practically Pizza Factory except 48% hydration instead of 50% (apart from the same-day and TF aspects).  I can't imagine it being super different.  I should sue those bastages!!!   :-D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »
They have blatantly used methods and concepts from this forum MANY times, as well as trolling from other sites with bbq and some other stuff. When it's stroke for stroke, word for word......more than a coincidence imo!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, man.  TBH, their formulation is practically Pizza Factory except 48% hydration instead of 50% (apart from the same-day and TF aspects).  I can't imagine it being super different.  I should sue those bastages!!!   :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »

Good one Nick!!  😆
.... and if it's any consolation to Garvey, I made enough pizza factory dough today for 2 pizzas. Looking forward to finally giving his dough a go.  :chef:

Offline Garvey

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 04:03:12 PM »
   Good one Nick!!  😆
.... and if it's any consolation to Garvey, I made enough pizza factory dough today for 2 pizzas. Looking forward to finally giving his dough a go.  :chef:

Enjoy!  Be sure to make the sauce!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 09:26:52 PM »
Enjoy!  Be sure to make the sauce!

Indeed!  The sauce is even better than the dough, imo  :drool:
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
Indeed!  The sauce is even better than the dough, imo  :drool:

Agreed.  The dough is fine.  And I realize this entire site is dough-centric, on the balance.  But Pizza Factory *is* the sauce.  Make it exactly as written, at least once, or you haven't made Pizza Factory.

wordpress