A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 7 minute New York bake  (Read 10427 times)

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 7 minute New York bake
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2022, 01:19:55 AM »
These look great!  And you're using KA AP flour and a home oven?
Yes. I wrote the process down somewhere in this thread earlier.

Offline OrlandoPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2022, 02:07:43 PM »
This is the one for me right here...your 5 minute bake. Beautiful. This cheese color with just the right browning spots is exactly what I have been going for, but have had trouble since I have been doing 6-7 minute bakes. I think I need to get under that 6 minutes before the orange grease shows up. Some people prefer pizza with the orange grease...I don't. I am going to try a 5-5:30 bake this weekend. I can't believe this was done with the TJs WMLM mozz. When I used that it was grease city, but back then I was prob doing 10 minute bakes so maybe I should give it another go. Right now I am using Boars Head WMLM deli cheese and a potato shredder for extra thick shreds. You seem to have done an absolute ton of timings and measurements. About what time have you found where the cheese starts to expel fat/grease?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:11:53 PM by OrlandoPete »

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2022, 02:39:35 PM »
Great looking pie! I use TJ's WMLM mozzarella a lot and like the results. It freezes well too.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2022, 02:30:13 AM »
This is the one for me right here...your 5 minute bake. Beautiful. This cheese color with just the right browning spots is exactly what I have been going for, but have had trouble since I have been doing 6-7 minute bakes. I think I need to get under that 6 minutes before the orange grease shows up. Some people prefer pizza with the orange grease...I don't. I am going to try a 5-5:30 bake this weekend. I can't believe this was done with the TJs WMLM mozz. When I used that it was grease city, but back then I was prob doing 10 minute bakes so maybe I should give it another go. Right now I am using Boars Head WMLM deli cheese and a potato shredder for extra thick shreds. You seem to have done an absolute ton of timings and measurements. About what time have you found where the cheese starts to expel fat/grease?

Anytime past 6 minutes, the cheese greases. Also, having a thinner sauce helps a lot with melting.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2022, 07:20:20 PM »
Made some homemade Ricotta that was whipped and topped on a Spinach and onion pizza.

Offline OrlandoPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2022, 12:24:52 PM »
Anytime past 6 minutes, the cheese greases. Also, having a thinner sauce helps a lot with melting.

Okay that's what I figured. Man, I have to figure out what is going on here because I tried a 5-min bake this weekend and my cheese ended up even darker and oiler than last time. I even froze the cheese shreds before topping. The pie spent 3.5 min on the bottom rack steel (steel was 585 degree at launch) and then 1.5 minutes on another steel 5" under the broiler. The broiler was turned right after launch, and I just moved the pie from the bottom to the top. Any ideas what is going on? Can you be too close to the broiler for that amount of time?

It could also be I am using too much cheese. For a 15 in, I put down 1 oz grated parm on the sauce, then 8.2 oz WMLM on top. Maybe all that mozz is producing too much grease.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:57:12 PM by OrlandoPete »

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2022, 12:55:58 PM »
Also, having a thinner sauce helps a lot with melting.

Can you please elaborate on that?

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2022, 10:46:27 PM »
Can you please elaborate on that?
Thinner and higher content liquid sauce boils the cheese underneath and helps prevent it from drying out in a longer bake.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2022, 04:36:21 PM »
Made this Spinach, ricotta, red onion pizza with the help of Txcraig's 2012 post about homemade ricotta.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2022, 05:29:48 PM »
Looks good. How did you put the pie together? Any precook on the spinach? Garlic? In my mind garlic and ricotta on pizza go together.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2022, 08:41:27 PM »
Looks good. How did you put the pie together? Any precook on the spinach? Garlic? In my mind garlic and ricotta on pizza go together.
Thanks. After I stretch the dough ball, I drizzle olive oil on the bare skin. Then I spread the whipped ricotta on like I would a sauce. Cheese on top of ricotta, spinach on raw, very thinly sliced onions on top of that and another drizzle of olive oil on top of it all. After the bake, I crack freshly toasted Tellicherry black peppers on top and finish with Reggiano. I will try thinly sliced garlic next!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2022, 09:16:23 PM »
Thanks. After I stretch the dough ball, I drizzle olive oil on the bare skin. Then I spread the whipped ricotta on like I would a sauce. Cheese on top of ricotta, spinach on raw, very thinly sliced onions on top of that and another drizzle of olive oil on top of it all. After the bake, I crack freshly toasted Tellicherry black peppers on top and finish with Reggiano. I will try thinly sliced garlic next!
Going to have to make a spin on this. I make a mushroom pizza with a creme fraiche base. But definitely going to have to try some fresh ricotta.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2022, 11:18:34 PM »
Going to have to make a spin on this. I make a mushroom pizza with a creme fraiche base. But definitely going to have to try some fresh ricotta.

That sounds amazing. Do you sautee and herb the mushrooms?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2022, 11:30:27 PM »
That sounds amazing. Do you sautee and herb the mushrooms?
Here's a description of that pie from a monthly challenge a while back. I start the mushrooms in a little water now, cook the water off and then add some oil. It was an Americas Test Kitchen trick.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59740.msg599675#msg599675

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »

Did you have any problems with excess water during the bake from the raw spinach? I usually saute the spinach lightly in oil and a little garlic first to cut down on all of the moisture it gives off.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2022, 09:26:59 PM »
Did you have any problems with excess water during the bake from the raw spinach? I usually saute the spinach lightly in oil and a little garlic first to cut down on all of the moisture it gives off.
I had no problems with excess water from the spinach. I baked this for 6 minutes at 550 F, so I think the excess moisture might have dried off with a longer cooking time at such a high heat.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2022, 11:43:15 AM »
6 minute bake.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2022, 11:49:50 AM »
Wow

Offline Samson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2022, 03:51:11 PM »
These look great. Have you ever done the 6 min bake without the broiler and compared the differences? I'm curious how much the broiler contributes to the great coloring you're getting.

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2022, 02:03:54 AM »
These look great. Have you ever done the 6 min bake without the broiler and compared the differences? I'm curious how much the broiler contributes to the great coloring you're getting.

My crust doesn't get as brown when I do 6 minutes straight without a broiler. However, I have tried 7 minutes without a broiler with a brown crust. The 7 minute broilerless bake also produced a more even browning (less blackened spots scattered throughout the crust).

wordpress